How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac

So, to clarify, this procedure does not work if you have run 6.x already. 5.7.2 will complain that there is a newer version of the note database and immediately exits. I manually deleted everything in ~/Library that was identified as Evernote and it still produces this error, this program reminds me of trying to remove the Google autoupdater, they clearly intend for you to not be able to rid yourself of it. I'm frankly furious at these guys.

Reinstalling 6.x and following JMichael's process above does allow using an older client once all of the notes are redownloaded. Thanks for providing this information!

• Level 5*

So, to clarify, this procedure does not work if you have run 6.x already. 5.7.2 will complain that there is a newer version of the note database and immediately exits. I manually deleted everything in ~/Library that was identified as Evernote and it still produces this error, this program reminds me of trying to remove the Google autoupdater, they clearly intend for you to not be able to rid yourself of it. I'm frankly furious at these guys.

If Ver 5.7.2 is complaining about a newer version, then I suspect that means that you were unable to completely remove all of Ver 6.

Did you use AppDelete (or similar) uninstaller to find/delete all Evernote associated files? 

Did you restart your Mac after the removal and before the reinstall?

Excellent work, JM - thanks for putting together this information.  Great resource.

Of course, it should have been Evernote that put it together, but you've covered their collective asses for them here. Above and beyond the call of duty! Oh hang on - you don't HAVE a duty..... ;)

EDIT: Just discovered that in v5.7.2 (i.e. After the re-write) you can't export a Notebook. Only individual notes - which is useless. May as well just email them to myself. In the Knowledge Base article, it says to export a notebook on the Mac, right-click on the notebook and select "Export Notebook". But that option is no longer there, and Evernote haven't updated their knowledge base. The only options are Settings (which doesn't do anything at all once the notebook has been created - duh!), Share Notebook, or Delete Notebook.  The Share option only is for publishing your notebook - all that silly collaboration stuff again.!

So I'm still on 5.7.2, but it looks like I'm not going to go back to 5.5.2 as I can't export those .enex files for each notebook.  And I'm sure as hell not going to export all my notes individually - there are thousands of 'em!

So that's something else Evernote took away from the app - the ability to export complete notebooks. Or even All Notes. No can do any more...! :angry:

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

I was able to downgrade today. You have to remove system files Evernote uses as well. Here is a link that may help:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

Thanks for the suggestion and reference.  I have added this to my list of references in my original post.

Would you mind sharing what specific things you found helpful in the MacRumors guide, that was not included in my instructions?

Thanks.

I was able to downgrade today. You have to remove system files Evernote uses as well. Here is a link that may help:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

Thanks for the suggestion and reference.  I have added this to my list of references in my original post.

Would you mind sharing what specific things you found helpful in the MacRumors guide, that was not included in my instructions?

Thanks.

I am not sure if I saw your instructions but I did review a bunch of links and suggestions from the thread you posted. It is probably where I got the link I posted. 

Evernote was fairly simple to remove. If you just remove the app to trash and kill your web browsers because of the plugin you will still not be able to remove evernote to the point where you can reinstall without getting the older EN database error. If you move the program to trash, kill the evernote helper process with activity monitor you can then do a search on your hardrive following the suggestions from that link.

You search for evernote system files and remove those as well. Once that is all done you can install a previous version and will not get the error. Basic stuff for techies but not something the average user may be aware of much less easily do without doing a bit of research.  

Hope this helps.

Using an app such as the excellent (and FREE) AppCleaner (App Store) will remove not only the main Evernote.app, but will also root out all those system files, preference and settings files, etc. That's the best way to do it. If you have Hazel, it will also do a double-check on any residual files.

Then simply install the version you want (eg v5.5.2, the last one before the re-write) and let it sync back from the server.

• Level 5*

Using an app such as the excellent (and FREE) AppCleaner (App Store) will remove not only the main Evernote.app, but will also root out all those system files, preference and settings files, etc. That's the best way to do it. If you have Hazel, it will also do a double-check on any residual files.

Then simply install the version you want (eg v5.5.2, the last one before the re-write) and let it sync back from the server.

I agree that using a app uninstaller can help ensure all Evernote related files are removed.  I include that in my instructions in Step #3. Backup and completely uninstall EN Mac App and data.

But it is very important to FIRST backup your Evernote folder, and export to ENEX any Local NBs that you may have.

How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac

Rev 3:  Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM

This question seems to come up a lot recently, and since I could not find a good, official document on it, I put together this set of instructions about a month ago.  I thought I'd publish it here where it is easy for all to see and reference.  If you find any errors, omissions, or have any concerns about this process, please post below.  If urgent, feel free to PM me.

1. Do a full sync, UNLESS you do not want the EN Cloud Notes to update your local Mac version.
  2. Export to ENEX files* any Local NBs and unsync’d Notes that you may have
  3. Backup and completely uninstall EN Mac App and data
  4. Download the version of EN Mac you want to install
  5. Install the EN Mac version you downloaded
  6. Allow it to sync (download in this case) all of your Notes from the EN Cloud.
  7. Import the ENEX files, if any, (from Step #2) into this new install

*  When you export Notes to ENEX, it will break all links to these notes, and the following metadata is lost: Notebook, Stack, Tag hierarchy.

I have been unable to find any official Evernote documentation that provides the full, complete instructions for this, including dealing with Local NBs.  

REFERENCES:

1. How do I uninstall and reinstall Evernote?, EN KB
  2. Troubleshooting Evernote installation, EN KB
  3. Evernote is crashing - what do I do?, EN KB
  4. I reset my password but don't see any notes in my account, EN KB
  5. Export, archive, and import Evernote notes, EN KB
  6. How to Change from the Appstore to the Direct Download Version of Evernote, Chris Mayo
  7. Uninstalling Applications in Mac OS X, MacRumors Guides

EDIT

Rev 1:  Added link to Ver 5.7.2

Rev 2:  Added Ref #6.

Rev 3:  Added Ref #7, and links for release notices.

THANKS so much! Was able to revert to 5.5.2 and get rid of the awful, ugly version 6 UI. I look at gray and white flat blended MS Office apps with tiny text all day long on my work PC and then I come home and look at gray and white flat blended Mac apps with tiny text. Good thing we have fancy high-res retina screens!

Do you happen to also have the instrutions and links for reverting to a previous version on the PC? I had the unfortunate experience of updating today only to lose all my tags across all platforms.

• Like 1

Hi JM :)

I considered downgrading from 5.7.2 back to 5.5.2 (before all the Chat button nonsense), but when I tried to export notebooks - there was no way to do that. According to the EN Knowledge Base, a right-click on a notebook should give the option to export that notebook. But in 5.7.2 there is no such option - just Delete Notebook, Share Notebook (which is basically Publish it), or Settings - which do nothing once the notebook has been created (Duh!). So I wasn't able to export anything.

Given that I don't actually HAVE any local notebooks on my iMac (although all my notes are stored locally on my iPad) I figured that just doing a complete wipe, and fresh install of v5.5.2 would do the trick.

However, having done that, complete with reboot, I'm now getting the Synchronization failure message - it tries to download headers or something, but presumably the note versions up on the server have been changed to reflect my use of v5.7.2 and simply won't sync back to 5.5.2

Done more reboots, done another clean wipe and reinstall, but no avail. Reinstalling v5.7.2 works just fine. 

So it would appear that there must be some change in the format of the notes up at the server end of things once we've moved up to v5.7.2 - I can't think of any other reason I can't sync back. My other iMacs, still running 5.7.2 sync just fine, and the web interface still shows everything as it should be up at their end.  I just can't get 5.5.2 to sync back.  Weird - everything has been wiped clean here - just like installing 5.5.2 on a brand new computer.  All references to Evernote anywhere were wiped clean.

Anyone else seen this? Has anyone managed to sync back to a reinstall of v5.5.2 AFTER having used a higher version at all?  Or is it just me and something on my system?

• Level 5*

Anyone else seen this? Has anyone managed to sync back to a reinstall of v5.5.2 AFTER having used a higher version at all?  Or is it just me and something on my system?

Hi NS.

If the version that you reinstalled is not working properly, this is most likely because there are still some left-over files from the previous version.  As you noted above a full uninstaller tool like AppCleaner, or AppDelete (which is what I use) should do the job.  However, I have learned that some of these uninstallers, like AppZapper, do NOT search/remove files inside of hidden directories.

I don't know about AppCleaner, but AppDelete states that it *does* search hidden directories.

Finds associated items that are invisible or hidden

Hi JM :)

AppCleaner is also very thorough, and looks in all sorts of hidden nooks and crannies.  I also have Hazel, which does what it calls a "sweep" after an uninstall of anything, to root out any last vestiges. I then did a reboot, emptied the trash, and rebooted again.

THEN I installed v5.5.2 - but consistently got that sync failure message.

Interestingly, I uninstalled v5.5.2 using exactly the same methods (AppCleaner and Hazel), installed v5.7.2 again, and now it is syncing perfectly - still a while to go but it is pulling the entire database back from the Evernote servers.

The only thing I can think of is that somewhere in the sequence through having v5.7.2 installed has involved the database being migrated - and this has created some changes at the server side of things, that prevent back-syncing to an earlier version.

If Jack, Marcus, or anyone else from EN is reading this, could you either confirm or contradict that assumption? Just to clear the air?  Thanks...

If there has been NO change server-side, then I have no idea why I couldn't sync back to an absolutely pristine, fresh installation of v5.5.2 on a machine that had been wiped clean of everything Evernote-related.

If I'm right, JM, then there may have been some sort of change in the database structure when moving up from 5.5.2 to 5.7.2 (i.e. After the re-write).  I have now done 3 complete uninstall/reinstall of 5.5.2, with all necessary reboots, and always get the sync failure.

Now, having reinstalled 5.7.2 (which is the same version as I have on all my Macs), it is syncing back just fine - my rather massive database is gradually reappearing.

I think I'll be sticking with v5.7.2 (complete with the unwanted Chat button) but i will NOT be upgrading to v6 or 6.0.1

And I'm also sticking with Mavericks, after my flirtation with Yosemite, as posted elsewhere.

Hmmm....now that I am running the EN web version, the App Store still shows EN installed.

Will my mac update with the app store version when a new verion comes out?  ( I have auto-update enabled)

If so, will this cause problems with the homebrew EN currently installed?

Thanks!

post-84675-0-14893600-1416976622_thumb.p

• Level 5*

Hmmm....now that I am running the EN web version, the App Store still shows EN installed.

Will my mac update with the app store version when a new verion comes out?  ( I have auto-update enabled)

If so, will this cause problems with the homebrew EN currently installed?

Thanks!

I highly recommend turning OFF all auto-updates, for the very reasons we have seen with Evernote 6.0 and 6.0.1 -- all too often the new release contains significant bugs.  Better to wait a week or more to see if other users are posting material bugs that would affect your workflow.  This is not just an Evernote issue -- it applies to all software developers, including (especially) Apple.  Just look at the many issues with the iOS Ver 8 updates.

So, I have turned OFF auto-update both within the Evernote app (Evernote > Preferences) and in the Mac App Store.

• Like 1

Excellent advice there, JM.

I have auto-update turned off everywhere, including on the iPad and iPhone. I don't want to get a nasty surprise with an app that I like.

There are too many apps these days, not just Evernote, or Mac OS X, that feel the pressure and need to keep on "advancing" the app or the OS.  And that invariably leads to changes, some of which are for the better, but many of which are not. And that's not even taking into account the inevitable bugs - that's just talking about the PLANNED changes. 

But where this current version of Evernote has fallen down badly - and the last few versions as well - is not only by ADDING things that are of dubious benefit, but by REMOVING things that are an essential part of the app, such as the configurable toolbar, hiding the "Email Note" function, and all the other things that have been the subject of many complaints on these forums over the last few versions.  You can add "colour" to that list too - they've removed pretty much all of it. Reminds me of back in the early days, with a monochrome monitor and ASCII text characters. (Yup, I've been around computers THAT long!)

So - ALL auto-updates off. I check for updates manually for every app, or simply check the App Store for most (not Evernote, as mine is a direct downloaded version), then update the ones I want, usually after checking forums such as this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case this info helps anyone trying this process, I too wanted to downgrade from Version 6, I downgraded first to 5.7.2, which worked perfectly after following the instructions at the start of this thread...however I wanted it turned out, version 5.5.2 as I missed features such as being able to email a note (rather than sharing links, etc...). 

I saw that some people were having trouble with syncing/database with downgrading from Version 6 to 5.5.2...I don't know if it made a difference that I downgraded first from V6, to V5.7.2, then to 5.5.2, but my Evernote V5.5.2 is working perfectly, with no lost notes, etc...it did throw up a sync problem first sync, but I just repressed the sync button, and it worked fine after that and I'm now loving being back on this version!

btw, I am in the same camp as many others; I love Evernote, and it's features, however V6, (and for me, version 5.7.2 onwards) are missing so many functions and daily used features...I am back to 5.5.2 for now, but I will be looking for a new note system for Mac if Evernote doesn't fix this in the near future, as I do not wish to stay on a non updated version forever (especially as a premium user)...I haven't had a problem or worry with evernote before now that required me to come on the forums, but this issue was frustrating enough to prompt me to do just that...just my thoughts...

• Like 1

Just wanted to thank the OP and others with good advice on this. I used AppCleaner to get rid of 6 and reinstalled 5.7.2 from dmg and simply synched the data back with no problem.

I will be staying with 5.7.2 as long as I have to as it works fine, despite the wretched New Chat button and inability to do anything useful with the Toolbar. In fact, I just decided to go ahead and hide the Toolbar altogether, despite that my normal way to make a new note is the big New Note button. I'll just go shortcut instead.

I completely agree with comments of NightStalker about staying w Mavericks and avoiding all the bad new apps that are unfortunately adpating to the ugly iOS-based look Apple is pushing on us.

Even worse than Evernote 6 was the recent new version of Omnifocus, a key app for me in my workflow. Version 2 with its washed out, flat yet still somehow incredibly busy and nearly uncustomizable interface is almost unusable; but worst of all many of those small but useful features from version 1 were REMOVED. As a result, you are basically forced to have the one and only interface design decisions, whether those fit your needs or not. This is a really bad trend in design.

I hope Evernote takes note of all our feedback and makes some changes. Otherwise, as is my strategy with Omnifocus, I will stay downgraded as long as I have to or can, while evaluating competitor apps.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Updated my original post to include procedure to switch from Mac App store to Direct Download version.

Even though EN Mac 6.0.3 Mac App Store has been released that is supposed to fix many of the Ver 6.0 issues, it appears that many issues remain.

At this point I have lost confidence in all EN Mac App Store versions, and recommend that users switch to the Direct Download version.  The latest is Evernote Mac v6.0.3.

Many of us have long preferred the Direct Download version as its benefits seem to far outweigh the delays and issues associated with the Mac App Store versions.

Jackolicious, on 07 Dec 2014 - 9:52 PM, said:

Sandboxing (in the Mac App Store) is currently causing some very strange note-loading errors. As far as we can tell, these don't exist in the direct download version. 

The code-base between the two binary types is the same if the version numbers match (currently 6.0.3 is in both direct download and app store).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this. unfortunately, I lost my local notebooks in the last upgrade so there is no way to export and backup my local notebooks. I am stuck and cannot do a clean install because I am afraid of losing whatever is still in the database that might be recoverable. I contacted support but alas, I am still waiting for feedback... cross fingers and once the data is back I will reconsider seriously my personal information management strategy. That's my new year's resolution! This mess is hurting Evernote in the core of its being. I am so sad to see this happen and I am surprised we did not hear anything from Phil Libin on this... go and build a 100 year company on the basis of this, I wish you luck.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Level 5

To uninstall, you first need to install something: It is a free app called AppCleaner. It will ask some permissions, which it needs to run.

When done, make sure everything is synced to the server, or if you have any local notebooks that you have made a backup. When you uninstall following these instructions, the whole data base will be purged, and local notebooks can’t be recovered from the Server. When exporting local notebooks, create one file per notebook. The notes can be recovered from one file as well, but the notebook information will be lost. You can restore the notebook structure by exporting (and later importing) one notebook after the other each to an individual file.

Now Open AppCleaner and draw the EN app icon on the AppCleaner window. It will search all parts of the program and its data, and show the result in a window. If you go with the default, the data base will not be erased. But if your data base got corrupted, or you want a clean reinstall, you need to get rid of it as well.

To do this, go down the window with the search results and check each and every position, to have it deleted. Scroll down to the bottom, don’t leave anything on the Mac. When done, start the uninstall. BANG - everything is deleted.

Now go to the EN web site and download the new EN installer from there. Do not use the AppStore version, because it will run in a sandbox, which creates problems. Install ... log into your Account ... Download your notes from the server ... reinstall your local notebooks from the backup.

Enjoy working with your clean and fresh EN installation.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Sigward said:

Are these still the most current instructions to completely Remove and Reinstall EN on a Mac? Please advise. Thank you.

Yes. Nothing, NOT one thing, that affects backup and restore has changed with Evernote.  If you have any specific questions about the process, feel free to post them.

FWIW, I prefer AppDelete to ensure that all files related to the app are removed.  I've been using it for years without any problems.  I have not checked AppCleaner recently, but when I decided to go with AppDelete, AppCleaner did NOT remove all of the files it should have.  But don't rely on me or anyone else, do your own homework to ensure you get the best app for you.