Resolved: Open Note and See Nothing After Update and Migration

BrandonEarly

Idea

22 replies to this idea

Same problem here.  Some real issues in version 6.0 - app store.

I have rebooted, closed and re-opened. quit and re-opened.

It started a few hours ago, then cleared up.  Now it is doing it again.

A real problem.

Did you install V6.0.1 directly from the Evernote site? V6.0 seems to have problems and a re-install of the same version would'nt help.

No, I didn't install the EN site version 6.0.  

I am waiting for the fix in 6.0.1 app store.

Unfortunately, a lost of my notes are Local only, so those notes are completely unaccessible until the fix.

Why would EN release 6.0 if they knew there were such issues with it?

• Level 5

Same here: Empty note can't view or edit on MAC (IOS ok, web version ok, macosx not)

Evernote Version 603 (451151 App Store)

OSX : 10.10.1 (14B25)

Loved evernote  - listening to evernote podcast - been using evernote since beta version 4/2/2008 - > no solution will export my notes elsewhere.

This is a known problem of the App Store version. You can download a beta version from Evernote that tries to solve that problem.

See here: https://discussion.e...eta-2-released/

Uninstall / reinstall seems to have fixed the problem for now.  I go back and forth on where I edit notes and I can easily see this happening every couple of days.

The stability issues are show-stoppers for me.  I've started using a different notes app until I know I can count on Evernote again, like I have in the past.  Being good at my job depends on taking notes and being able to pull them up reliably and quickly.

Same here: Empty note can't view or edit on MAC (IOS ok, web version ok, macosx not)

Evernote Version 603 (451151 App Store)

OSX : 10.10.1 (14B25)

Loved evernote  - listening to evernote podcast - been using evernote since beta version 4/2/2008 - > no solution will export my notes elsewhere.

Uninstall Evernote and reinstall from the App store. Evernote will then run ok. To avoid the problem, make sure you don't edit a note in the Evernote main window if the note is opened in a separate window.

I've also noticed that Evernote gets really slow responding to repeated key presses after its been running a while. Restart Evernote to speed it back up.

6.0.3 seems a bit unstable. Hopefully we'll have some quick updates to address the regression errors in this significant new Mac OS X release. I really like Evernote, but the stability is becoming an issue.

I had this problem (using the App Store version) and then updated to 6.0.3 and it was resolved... until today.  I was using Evernote fine and then all-of-a-sudden I can no longer view or edit notes.  I can still see them listed as tiles though.  Please help!

I don't think this is resolved. I have 6.0.3 installed. It works fine of days. Then all of a sudden it takes minutes to open a note content and I am unable to edit any notes. 

I believe this happened because I had a note open in a separate window, but was editing it in the Evernote main window. I do this all the time as I'm browsing around notes in the main window and make a quick change to a note that I've been editing but is open in a hidden window on another screen.

What use to happen is the other window would update to show the change. Now both windows go blank for a few minutes - like the update is taking a very long time, then when the window does display, editing is displayed.

Restarting Evernote does not clear this up. Its like some lock has been set and isn't being cleaned up.

Rebooting does fix the problem. So does uninstall and reinstall Evernote - apparently that clears the lock or something.

• Level 5

Well, I cannot give you an official advice but I can try to help.

If you want to switch from the App Store version to the direct download version you have to be especially careful when using local notebooks. As you correctly mentioned both versions use different directories for their databases. Therefore, you need to follow this advice from JMichael:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77444-how-to-completely-remove-and-reinstall-en-mac/

Or with some more info, my recommendations (No 7 is JMichaels Advice):

2. Give your Mac some time to re-index. Meanwhile you may read SoftwareMarcus’s response.
3. Reboot your Mac, some users reported that this cured their problems.
4. Decive whether you want to switch to 6.0.2 or wait for 6.0.1 to appear on the App Store
5. If you decided to use 6.0.2, make sure you have a backup of your data especially your local notebooks (Enex export)
    but a complete backup (e.g. Time Machine) doesn't harm as well.
6. Download the lastest version (6.0.2) from the Evernote site!
7. And for a secure removal and re-installation read this.
8. Reboot again.
9. Good Luck!

An uninstall/reinstall isn't a solution ... it is a workaround.  A fix would involve a version without the bug being available on the Apple store, and a solution would involve better testing and QC on the part of Evernote to prevent obvious bugs from appearing in the first place.

Agreed on all fronts. This is a horrendous experience and it's somehow not surprising as I've watched Evernote (the company) get increasingly distracted from their core product. This is a blunder of monumental/epic proportions.

Agreed. Using App store v 6.0 on Mac. I have suffered greatly. I can no longer rely on EN. I have blank notes (did I lose the content or will it come back? ... I don't know). I have notes suddenly losing their titles right before my eyes. I am confused by reading solutions by users. App store install vs. website download? Issues with Web download using different database than App store and impact on local notes? I'm looking for official advice and an answer from Evernote-the-Company on how to handle this. Is that available anywhere? 

An uninstall/reinstall isn't a solution ... it is a workaround.  A fix would involve a version without the bug being available on the Apple store, and a solution would involve better testing and QC on the part of Evernote to prevent obvious bugs from appearing in the first place.

Agreed on all fronts. This is a horrendous experience and it's somehow not surprising as I've watched Evernote (the company) get increasingly distracted from their core product. This is a blunder of monumental/epic proportions.

• Level 5

Same problem here.  Some real issues in version 6.0 - app store.

I have rebooted, closed and re-opened. quit and re-opened.

It started a few hours ago, then cleared up.  Now it is doing it again.

A real problem.

Did you install V6.0.1 directly from the Evernote site? V6.0 seems to have problems and a re-install of the same version would'nt help.

• Level 5

Well, what I suggested was uninstalling V6.0 and installing V6.0.1. This obviously has fixes for problems like the "double-click-empty-title" problem. It is not just a workaround. V6.0.1 is just not on the App Store because that takes some time. After similar experiences with V5.x I don't use App Store versions any more.

The problem has been reported in a number of posts now. The following steps could help:

1. Let Evernote run for some time and wait for some syncronization processes to complete. This helped in my case.

2. Reboot your Mac.

3. Remove the program completely possibly also the data (I use AppCleaner). Download the App from Evernote (6.0.1) not the App Store and install it manually.

The last possibility helped in many cases and was also suggested by the Evernote support.

#3 worked for me.   Thank you!   I still had to go back an manually re-enter the titles on the notes that I tried to open.

• Level 5

The problem has been reported in a number of posts now. The following steps could help:

1. Let Evernote run for some time and wait for some syncronization processes to complete. This helped in my case.

2. Reboot your Mac.

3. Remove the program completely possibly also the data (I use AppCleaner). Download the App from Evernote (6.0.1) not the App Store and install it manually.

The last possibility helped in many cases and was also suggested by the Evernote support.

Me too.  This started immediately after I upgraded to version 6.0.

In addition, the title on existing notes is blanked out when I try to open notes.  These changes are subsequently synced to my other devices and web.

This appears to be a serious bug.  Currently, the app is not usable.

Archived