Spotlight Search in new v6.0.1 apparently not working

Upgraded Evernote both in the office and here at home (where I upgraded to Yosemite just a couple of days ago).  Now I'm using the direct download of Evernote 6.0.1.  (I was previously up to date with the last v5.n release.)

I noticed the mention of being able to search my Evernote notes using Spotlight (mentioned here, for example: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/104676256) and tried it out.  The Spotlight search results totally fail to show anything.  I've spent some time trying to resolve this myself, but haven't made any progress.

Has anyone found success with this new feature?  Has it "just worked" for you?  Have you had to do anything to enable it?

It sounds as if it should just work, so I'm a bit puzzled.   :unsure:

• Level 5*

This is soooooo frustrating.  We just went through  finding, reporting, and fixing this bug in the Ver 5.6, 5.7 series.

And now, with a new release, the bug is back.   <_<

You may want to Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

• Level 5*

It works just fine for me with the direct download version on Yosemite. It's possible that your machine is still indexing, I guess. One thing you could do is to re-index everything in the Evernote folder. Just follow these directions.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

GM, thanks for posting a fix for this.

However, this should not be necessary for most users.  Evernote should deploy a app that supports Spotlight searches without any user actions.

• Level 5*

It works just fine for me with the direct download version on Yosemite. It's possible that your machine is still indexing, I guess. One thing you could do is to re-index everything in the Evernote folder. Just follow these directions.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

GM, thanks for posting a fix for this.

However, this should not be necessary for most users.  Evernote should deploy a app that supports Spotlight searches without any user actions.

I agree. But, this is a problem that dates back years (?) to version 3 (?), so I am not holding my breath, and I know we have written about it at length on the forums over the last few years. I figure it is better to just do the workaround and get back to work :)

• Level 5*

I just installed Evernote 6.0 on my iMac running latest Maverick. I also noticed that Spotlight search did not find anything from my Evernotes. So I reindexed Spotlight. But it made no difference. My Evernote is downloaded from Mac App store.

The Mac appstore version used to drop in and out of Spotlight searches, so I have long recommended the direct download version, though this time that may not help. Who knows? At any rate, the appstore version gains you no additional functionality, you may lose functionality with it (it had some features missing due to Apple's rules in the past), and updates/bug fixes will come less often. I think you have nothing to lose going with the direct download version and seeing if that helps.

I have the same problem.  Updated Evernote on my mac (Yosemite) yesterday and no spotlight search (even though it clearly states in the release notes that it is available).  If anyone has any updates to share, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI I've had spotlight search working on my lion machine for years, but in the latest version ***** ain't working anymore and I've tried redownload and reindexing. No way I'm going premium again if this problem is ignored. Going through spotlight search is my fav way of quickly accessing evernote and isn't productivity what it's all about?

I'm the original poster for this thread.  Sorry for the delay in following up on the early responses.

Thanks to GumpyMonkey's suggestion about reindexing the Evernote folder - that did the trick.  Yay!   ^_^

It didn't seem to work the first time.  I think I might have been too quick before re-enabling indexing of the Evernote folder.  I repeated the steps a second time and left quite a bit longer before re-enabling indexing (sorry - don't recall how long; maybe an hour?) and Spotlight searches began working again after that.  Not that I ever depended on them or used them much before, but I might endeavour to use them a bit more now.

Regarding this ongoing issue that the more active members of this community have commented upon, I wonder if perhaps the fault's not entirely with the Evernote developers.  Just maybe there's something that Apple could do that would contribute to making the ongoing reliability of these Spotlight searches more robust.

Anyway - thanks again to GrumpyMonkey for the suggestion.

What folder exactly is it that you're disabling for indexing and then reenable?

I'm the original poster for this thread.  Sorry for the delay in following up on the early responses.

Thanks to GumpyMonkey's suggestion about reindexing the Evernote folder - that did the trick.  Yay!   ^_^

It didn't seem to work the first time.  I think I might have been too quick before re-enabling indexing of the Evernote folder.  I repeated the steps a second time and left quite a bit longer before re-enabling indexing (sorry - don't recall how long; maybe an hour?) and Spotlight searches began working again after that.  Not that I ever depended on them or used them much before, but I might endeavour to use them a bit more now.

Regarding this ongoing issue that the more active members of this community have commented upon, I wonder if perhaps the fault's not entirely with the Evernote developers.  Just maybe there's something that Apple could do that would contribute to making the ongoing reliability of these Spotlight searches more robust.

Anyway - thanks again to GrumpyMonkey for the suggestion.

Tigersoul – I vaguely recall searching the forums (or maybe the wider web) to find the answer to your question.  I seem to recall finding multiple answers, partly influenced by whether or not you're using the Mac App store version or the one downloaded directly from Evernote.  In my case, as noted, the app is the directly downloaded version.

Based on the guidance from the search results, I rummaged about my HD and found multiple folders with the "evernote" in the folder name.  However, while the majority were a mere several kilobytes in size, one in particular had a folder size of somewhere north of 300 megabytes.  Obviously this was the motherlode.  In my case, I can drill down to the following path to find the folders which correspond to individual notes: 

Macintosh HD ▸ Users ▸ gary ▸ Library ▸ Application Support ▸ com.evernote.Evernote ▸ accounts ▸ www.evernote.com ▸ 3794981 ▸ content

However, I decided to broaden the scope a little and instead used the following higher-level folder for the re-indexing (as described in GrumpyMonkey's link in the third post in this thread).  This way, files such as catalog files would also be re-indexed and not just the individual notecards themselves.  I don't know if this was significant, but it seems reasonable to suppose…  Here's the path I seem to remember using:

Macintosh HD ▸ Users ▸ gary ▸ Library ▸ Application Support ▸ com.evernote.Evernote  

I might be missing some small details – it was several weeks ago now that I went through the exercise – but I'm pretty sure that these were the key steps in the process I followed.

Hope this helps?

• 3 months later...

This is still broken in 6.0.8. Adding/removing com.evernote.Evernote to spotlight is not working. 

Evernote, this is a pretty serious issue. Searching notes is a key feature.

• 1 month later...

Still broken in Version 6.0.11 (451580 Direct)

Same for me. I file a bug ticket 2 months ago and here's the latest update. Come on Evernote, fix your bugs before adding shiny new features like work chat 

Korben D. (Evernote Support)

Apr 29, 13:43

Thanks for the followup. The issue is still open with the engineering team. I don't have an estimated time for fix at the moment. I apologize for that. I'll let you know if there are any big developments in the case.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If i do the work-around  (deleting EN from the iTunes Store and then downloading and re-installing from EN website) will I have to do that for every new EN version?  Or will EN auto update through iTunes in future?  Not worth it to me if this work-around is necessary every EN new version update.

• Level 5*

If i do the work-around  (deleting EN from the iTunes Store and then downloading and re-installing from EN website) will I have to do that for every new EN version?

In a word:  No.

Once you switch to the Direct D/L version, all future updates will be done directly through Evernote.  At any time, you will be able to go to the EN Mac Evernote menu, and "Check for Updates".  You can also set the frequency of auto-check for update in the EN Mac Preferences.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought i'd post my two cents.  I reinstalled the app various times, direct download, etc.  I tried deleting all associated files.  It wasn't working.  I then decided to try something.  I went into the Spotlight System Prefs, added Evernote to the Privacy "Prevent Spotlight from searching" list.  I did a Spotlight search just for kicks.  I then deleted Evernote from the list, then tried a search for text I knew could be found in an Evernote note.

Voila!  It produced the right search result.  It might take a few minutes before it indexes all the files, but it's working again.

Hope this helps someone.

Archived