Could not sync note (OSStatus error -9800

Tnrchrds

Idea

I am getting an error message on my Mac app during syncing.

2 errors occurred:

Could not sync note "xxxxx"    (which I have deleted)

The operation couldn't be completed (OSStatus error -9800)

These errors still occur even after I deleted the note that could not sync

Help!

23 replies to this idea

I am also getting this error with PDF files around 10-13 MB.  The workaround I found is this:

1.  delete the note

2.  go to the Trash notebook and permanently delete the note from there also.

3.  You should now be able to sync without error.

4.  Use your Evernote email to email the file to Evernote.  This will send it to the Evernote cloud.

5.  Sync Evernote on your Mac.  The offending note should download from cloud and be usable.

This issue should be resolved with 6.0.3. Please give it a try. Available from evernote.com

I have 6.0.3 from the AppStore and this is still happening to me.  I successfully synced up a 100 MB video attachment.

The AppStore itself say 6.0.3 downloaded yesterday.  Evernote=>About lists "Version 6.0 (451092 App Store)"

Any ideas?

I have the evernote.com version 6.0.3, 

This issue should be resolved with 6.0.3. Please give it a try. Available from evernote.com

I have 6.0.3 from the AppStore and this is still happening to me.

The AppStore itself say 6.0.3 downloaded yesterday.  Evernote=>About lists "Version 6.0 (451092 App Store)"

Any ideas?

• Level 5*

I opened a new ticket as it seems that having added a large attachment using the web client and then removing it using the Mac client does not cause the note size to be recalculated and so I was unable to make further changes as it would have made the note size over 100mb even though it really is only a few KB.

Given the current turnaround on support tickets I'm not expecting a speedy response....

BTW, it's not intermittent for me - I can reproduce easily with any large attachment.

Thanks, but the workaround via email does not work as none of my providers will let me upload a big file.  Or does evernote have its own internal email? if so where.

By the way, this is getting unbearable. I have waited about 10 days with NO reply from Evernote.   Someone posted about going back to an earlier version. Maybe that is the solution.

I finally managed to upload via the web version (very hard to find...no link from the Evernote page that I can see).  

BUT, now that that work, files that had been previously uploaded and synced were no longer so. I kept getting a message that i am not longer connected to the Internet. of course I wasn't. I was without wifi in school and trying to conduct  lesson I have done many times before, but Evernote had somehow unsychronized all my files.

Damn.

I am also getting this error with PDF files around 10-13 MB.  The workaround I found is this:

1.  delete the note

2.  go to the Trash notebook and permanently delete the note from there also.

3.  You should now be able to sync without error.

4.  Use your Evernote email to email the file to Evernote.  This will send it to the Evernote cloud.

5.  Sync Evernote on your Mac.  The offending note should download from cloud and be usable.

this is happening repeatedly for 1 note... i removed it and then removed it from the trash (i'm not emptying entire trash -- that's silly)... but it still won't sync even after its gone...(and won't give me an error msg after i delete it).  and the note is only 17mb... thats not large at all. I restored the note from the export and shrunk some of the jpgs in it... no change.  fails to sync.  Re-export it (w/ smaller images) 

eventually i found that there were 3 OTHER duplicates of the note in trash - no dates on them - so they were not showing up in the sorted by date at the top.  deleted these and it sync'd w/o error.  however i don't have my note (which i am actively using right now!)

dragged the exported html file back into evernote to recreate note.  still 17.3 mb in size -- sync error reoccurs!

i should be able to sync this note.   Currently use of syncing space - for this month - 40 MB of 4 gb -- so i have plenty of space to sync it. 

we need this fixed asap. :)

I wouldn't care except it stops all syncing at that point - so it wont sync any other notes changed either since then! (and i discovered that i cannot 're-import' the file it exported -- seems a little short sighted. )

v 6.0.2 ( i love how evernote mac doesn't notify me of updates for 3 or 4 versions - nice eh?) 

I solved this problem effectively by just downloading Evernote 5.5 and re-syncing there.  Evernote has worked flawlessly for me in that version.  The newer versions are essentially flawed sync-wise and it is no use trying all these suggested "fixes" above -- fix at the core and download 5.5:  

http://evernote.en.uptodown.com/mac/download/59717

If Evernote eventually decides to address this problem, great, but meanwhile I am not upgrading from this version.

this is happening repeatedly for 1 note... i removed it and then removed it from the trash (i'm not emptying entire trash -- that's silly)... but it still won't sync even after its gone...(and won't give me an error msg after i delete it).  and the note is only 17mb... thats not large at all. I restored the note from the export and shrunk some of the jpgs in it... no change.  fails to sync.  Re-export it (w/ smaller images) 

eventually i found that there were 3 OTHER duplicates of the note in trash - no dates on them - so they were not showing up in the sorted by date at the top.  deleted these and it sync'd w/o error.  however i don't have my note (which i am actively using right now!)

dragged the exported html file back into evernote to recreate note.  still 17.3 mb in size -- sync error reoccurs!

i should be able to sync this note.   Currently use of syncing space - for this month - 40 MB of 4 gb -- so i have plenty of space to sync it. 

we need this fixed asap. :)  

I wouldn't care except it stops all syncing at that point - so it wont sync any other notes changed either since then! (and i discovered that i cannot 're-import' the file it exported -- seems a little short sighted. )

v 6.0.2 ( i love how evernote mac doesn't notify me of updates for 3 or 4 versions - nice eh?) 

I am getting an error message on my Mac app during syncing.

2 errors occurred:

Could not sync note "xxxxx"    (which I have deleted)

The operation couldn't be completed (OSStatus error -9800)

These errors still occur even after I deleted the note that could not sync

Help!

Got absolutely the same issue! However, after an hour of irritations and trials I succeeded and here is what I think might help you as well:

1. Just in case move all files inside note in another place. I had an issue that app couldn't even locate the audio files I had. I found them manually in /-username-/Library/Containers/com.evernote.evernote and dragged them to the window in Evernote which asked me to locate files. I dragged the files in there since they are in the hidden folder and are not displayed in that window layout. 
  2. Do some changes within the note (e.g. simple "space" button push in the end of note also accounted for a change) and sync the note (you will get again the problem window). After doing this the Evernote will create a local conflict notebook.
  3. Delete the conflict note and empty the trash.
  4. Sync again - you should no more get this error window.
  5. Now you can move your note from the local conflict notebook back to its initial place.

These steps helped me and hope shall to you as well :)

UPDATE:

I have the same issue repeating again and again with big notes. Frustrated and going to downgrade until they fix it.

I have exactly the same issue.  I was on tech support chat and they are aware of this.  They had me submit an activity log and are apparently analyzing.  

This issue was a problem for me with video files -- but it seems any large file.

Hopefully they come up with a fix.  This was never an issue in version 5.5 or previous.  5.6 introduced the problem with syncing, from my experience.

This is a really strange workaround I discovered.  Don't even try deleting the note from the app - same sync error persists even after you delete the note, even after you empty the trash.   Solution (and ridiculous one) is to go to Evernote.com and delete the problem note there.  Then create a new note and paste the attachment to the website.  Then wait a few minutes and come back to the app to sync.  Simple!  (sarcasm included).

If you delete the offending file, then make sure you empty the trash before doing the sync.  Once it is gone from trash it will work.  I ran into the same problem.  This 9800 error seems to be related to adding large PDF files.  Not sure of the exact threshold size before the error occurs.

Archived