Can't see or edit notes- Help!

indiawestie

Idea

I use Evernote for the Mac. It updated itself randomly, and now I can't view my old notes or type anything to edit or add things. It works on my phone and if I use it with Safari, but the app itself on my computer is not working. 

I kind of need to be able to study for my final exams, so this is really an issue. Has anyone experienced this and/or found a solution?

Thanks.

14 replies to this idea

Same for me! Terrible situation, since I have all my current notes and projectplans brought to evernote, everything gone! How could this happen?

I am a Premium user, my mac updated just by itself.

Please evernote team - help!

Ulrich

Does quitting and re-starting work?

Are you using the App Store version, or the version downloaded directly from the website? What is the version number? (e.g., Evernote 5.7.2)

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling (making sure any unsynced notes or local notebooks are backed up prior to uninstalling the application)?

Just a quick note about the application updating itself. This is only possible under the following conditions:

You are using the App Store version, and you have told the App Store to "automatically download and install updates". This is not an evernote-related or evernote-specific setting. In this case you told your computer (not Evernote) that you permit it to automatically, without asking, update applications downloaded from the App Store. 

Otherwise, under any other condition, Evernote should always prompt you inside the app before it installs an update (direct download version), or you have to go to the app store and tell it to update (App Store version). 

Same for me! Terrible situation, since I have all my current notes and projectplans brought to evernote, everything gone! How could this happen?

I am a Premium user, my mac updated just by itself.

Please evernote team - help!

Ulrich

This is a user forum. As a premium user I'd recommend contacting Evernote Support directly. The online chat mechanism is usually pretty speedy. 

Quitting and reopening the application is not working. I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling it because not everything is backed up and I don't have access to external storage at the moment. I do believe I have the App Store version of the app. 

Do you think it could be having issues because I haven't updated to Yosemite yet? 

Quitting and reopening the application is not working. I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling it because not everything is backed up and I don't have access to external storage at the moment. I do believe I have the App Store version of the app. 

Do you think it could be having issues because I haven't updated to Yosemite yet? 

What is the version number of the Evernote application (e.g., 5.7.1 or 5.7.2)?

It is not likely an issue related to Yosemite. I have a machine running Mavericks and Evernote 6.0.1 without an issue. 

As long as your evernote application is synced and you don't have any "Local Notebooks", not having a backup shouldn't be a problem (though it is a small risk) since all of your data are on Evernote's servers. You can verify this by checking the web interface. 

As an alternative to having a real backup, you can always rename and relocate your Evernote database to your desktop temporarily while you do a fresh install. This will "trick" the application into thinking the database has been deleted and force it to pull a new copy down from the servers. You can delete the old database once you have verified the new installation has properly pulled your data from the server. 

I believe the Evernote database for the App Store version is located in

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.somethingsomething

What is the version number of the Evernote application (e.g., 5.7.1 or 5.7.2)?

It is not likely an issue related to Yosemite. I have a machine running Mavericks and Evernote 6.0.1 without an issue. 

As long as your evernote application is synced and you don't have any "Local Notebooks", not having a backup shouldn't be a problem (though it is a small risk) since all of your data are on Evernote's servers. You can verify this by checking the web interface. 

As an alternative to having a real backup, you can always rename and relocate your Evernote database to your desktop temporarily while you do a fresh install. This will "trick" the application into thinking the database has been deleted and force it to pull a new copy down from the servers. You can delete the old database once you have verified the new installation has properly pulled your data from the server. 

I believe the Evernote database for the App Store version is located in

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.somethingsomething

It's version 6.0.

I do have local notebooks, so what should I do? I can't transfer the material to a new synced notebook because I can't view the notes themselves to copy and paste them.

Can you at least select notes (even if you can't see their contents)?

If so, you can export each local notebook as a .enex file to import after reinstalling. For each local notebook, select all of the notes and export it as a .enex file (making sure to select "include tags"). Name the file after the notebook. Repeat for each Local notebook. 

Since you are also going to be saving your entire locally stored database on your desktop, if the export suggestion above doesn't work for some reason, you'll still have a fallback option.

This is tricky territory though. Before doing the complete and thorough uninstall, I'd suggest perhaps doing a plain ol' dragging of the Evernote.app file to the trash and reinstalling it from the app store (perhaps making a copy of your locally stored database just in case). This method shouldn't affect your locally stored database, but should remedy any issue that might exist in the application itself. 

I'm having this problem also. I'm running Mavericks and the App Store Evernote 6.0 (451092). 

I select a note, and it doesn't appear in the "viewer" section, nothing appears. I thought I had somehow switched it off with a shortcut. If I double click the note, it opens blank in a new window, and then appears to be overwritten as 'untitled note'. I feel like I've destroyed a couple of my notes by trying to open them. Perhaps I should avoid syncing?

Here's a screenshot

Add me to the list! :(

I am also unable to view any of my notes in the latest update of the app - all the notebooks and notes are 'there' and also appear on the web and on my phone - but in the OSX app I just get the title of the note and the previews load - but not the full note itself. Just big, blank, grey space!

Running OSX 10.9.5 with App Store Evernote v6.0

Liam

Archived