(Archived) Can I specify that a notebook doesn't sync to iPhone?

What I''m looking for is a feature that's almost the opposite of the local notebook concept.

I've been clipping lots of recipes and foodie articles from the web. I want these to be available on my Macbook (which is my main computer), on my netbook (which I use in the kitchen when I'm preparing a recipe saved to Evernote), and in my evernote account online (for backup and portability). I do NOT need these recipes to be available on my iPhone, and I'm noticing that evernote is becoming slower to load on my phone, I suspect because of the sheer volume of recipe notes that Ive created.

I will be very grateful if somebody could suggest a way to have one particular notebook available, and syncing, on all computers and my online evernote account, but NOT syncing to my iPhone.

shelley

You can't. It's just not possible. Your data really lives in the cloud, i.e., on the Evernote servers. It's synced to your various machines. Originally, there was no concept of local notebook, but they finally gave us that to keep some data private. But the local data is only on your particular machine. As it is now, anything not in a local notebook is in the cloud and hence, will be sent to every platform.

What I''m looking for is a feature that's almost the opposite of the local notebook concept.

I will be very grateful if somebody could suggest a way to have one particular notebook available, and syncing, on all computers and my online evernote account, but NOT syncing to my iPhone.

shelley

Might I suggest creating a second Evernote account?

Use the main (hopefully premium account) to keep all your recipes and foodie articles up to date between your Macbook, netbook, and online account. Remove the Evernote signin account information from your iPhone. Now create a second Evernote account, which is for other general uses. Have your iPhone use the second account login info. This effectively solves your problem.

When you want to use Evernote and include the iPhone merely switch users on the Macbook or netbook. As far as your iPhone is concerned, it only sees one Evernote account - the one you want it to use. But that one your iPhone uses is still something your other computers can sync with, whenever you want it to.

So you'll have two accounts, nothing too complicated. One used exclusively for cooking and the other for everything else. Evernote still saves the day.

Hope this helps.

Might I suggest creating a second Evernote account?

(snip)

When you want to use Evernote and include the iPhone merely switch users on the Macbook or netbook. As far as your iPhone is concerned, it only sees one Evernote account - the one you want it to use. But that one your iPhone uses is still something your other computers can sync with, whenever you want it to.

Excellent idea, but unfortunately, Evernote doesn't allow for two accounts on the desktop version, so this suggestion will not work for me.

I've been playing with shared notebooks this morning. My thinking was, I could keep all my notebooks intact in my Premium account, and share all of them with my second (non-Premium) account EXCEPT the food and recipe notebooks; then I could log into the second account on my iPhone to view these shared notebooks without being bogged down with all the foodie stuff on my phone. This doesn't work, either -- notebooks shared from other accounts are not viewable on the iPhone. However, there has been a lot of discussion about this on the Evernote for iPhone forum, and it appears that Evernote will be addressing this issue in an upcoming release. And when they do, I think my problem will be solved!

Shelley

Shelley

Excellent idea, but unfortunately, Evernote doesn't allow for two accounts on the desktop version, so this suggestion will not work for me.

Sorry about that, Shelley. I didn't know about the desktop version's one account limitation. In that case, here's another related suggestion.

What about creating another user account in your computer? Both Macs and PCs offer this feature. Evernote on your current desktop won't have a clue that its also on another user account. As far as your computer would be concerned, its another person using it with their own specific programs, documents, and other personal data. Evernote desktop version doesn't allow for two accounts but your computer's ability to create multiple users bypasses that limitation.

Make a new user account, install the desktop client of Evernote, then go for it. For cooking and your premium account, use the computer/user setup as it is right now. For using Evernote with your iPhone, switch users on the Macbook or netbook, it should be synced with your second Evernote account. It should only take a few seconds to switch between the two and, at least in theory, you might even have both of them running as you switch between them.

Another option might be using the Evernote web version for the second account and sync your iPhone with that. So the iPhone's on one Evernote account and your other computers are on another. However, both your Macbook and netbook can go on the web version of Evernote, use the second account login, and then stay synced with the iphone.

To make it easier setting things up with the iPhone, export each of the notebooks you want then import them into the second account. They'll keep all the information and tags they currently have.

Archived