Everfiler – a better automated filing script

quickshot12

Idea

Hi Everyone,

I've created a new (bash) script to automate the filing of documents to Evernote in the background with support for Mac OS X tags – I'm calling it Everfiler.

The benefits of this script over other solutions I've found is two fold:

1. I can deal with a file once (not once in Finder, once in EN) as I add tags when saving the file in Finder
  2. The file upload to EN happens in the background (via email) and doesn't take over my computer
It is designed to be used with Hazel (http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php) and/or Apple's Automator but I'm sure someone could adapt it to work with other apps.

Download

I'm releasing it into the wild so others can benefit from it and even improve on it. You can download the script at: https://github.com/ryanaspire/everfiler

Disclaimer

I'm a scripting novice. This is the result of days of googling + trial and error so I can't guarantee it won't nuke your machine.

Help Wanted

For someone who knows what they are doing, I see some areas where it could be improved:

• I'm having trouble running this as a Shell script from Hazel. When I run it as an Automator script via Hazel, it works but this is clunky and the execution is slower.
  • My home ISP blocks port 25 so [mail] doesn't work. Setting up Mutt is a pain. Would love to find a simpler solution
  • Currently the Pushover notification fires a success notification unconditionally. Would be great to have a success/error notification. Other Push Notification options could also be added.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I've created a new (bash) script to automate the filing of documents to Evernote in the background with support for Mac OS X tags – I'm calling it Everfiler.

The benefits of this script over other solutions I've found is two fold:
  1. I can deal with a file once (not once in Finder, once in EN) as I add tags when saving the file in Finder
  2. The file upload to EN happens in the background (via email) and doesn't take over my computer
It is designed to be used with Hazel (http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php) and/or Apple's Automator but I'm sure someone could adapt it to work with other apps.

quickshot12, thanks for your contribution.  I'm sure others will find it useful.

I did want to point out another solution for automated EN Mac import using AppleScript:

Evernote Import Folder Using AppleScript from Veritrope.com

I have been using this for several years now, and it works quite well.

It imports directly into your local EN Mac, so you don't need an Internet connection.

It also minimizes file handling.  You just drop/save a file into the Import folder, and it will (optionally) ask for Notebook and Tags.

The other great thing about the Veritrope script is that it is written in AppleScript, and is easily modified by most users.

But is great to always have choices!  I'm sure there are use cases where your script would work better.

I'm sure there are use cases where your script would work better.

Thanks for the heads up JMichael!

The Veritrope script is certainly slick.  Add yes, filing locally is more ideal.

However, it doesn't solve the problems I originally set out to solve with my solution. For those interested, here's why I prefer my solution (maybe I'm just lazy / crazy):

• With Applescript the application has to open to process the file. With my solution it does not.
  • With the Veritrope solution you need to use the Finder to save the file, then a separate interface to select the notebook and tags. With my solution, it's a once step process – once you hit save in Finder no further action is required.
  • Combined with Hazel or Automator, you can do things like rename the file before it is filed. This may also be possible with Applescript and Folder Actions.

Archived