6.0.1 color theme on mac

eleamonkey

Idea

How is this?

Your forum allows color combinations yet the

evernote program doesn't. 

Let me be clear. 

Evernote now looks like a glorified text document.

As for what Mac Yosemite, etc does, I am not in the

Finder for hours writing notes and moving documents

around.

Considering that the admins are typing in a black text

you can read! but has their program in a very light gray,

practice what you preach for US TO READ AND WORK IN.

Crazy how successful American companies get so far

only to ***** up their business to allow the competition

to walk right in. 

Hope Evernote listens to continue solidifying their

great and interested supporters.

Evernote is text... And most people spend hours in Excel... They spend hours in Word... Even in their webbrowser...

At the end of the day reading and creating text is a black and white affair...

Oh also YOU CAN WRITE IN COLOUR IN EVERNOTE>>>

So I dont know what you are moaning about...

What many people are missing is that the actual NOTE is taking centre stage.....

There is plenty of colour there... And everything else is in the background...

In any case the beauty of Evernote is in its minimalist approach... Quick load up times... Its about taking in notes INSTANTANEOUSLY...

It launches immediately... The notes take center stage...

And comeon... finding them is easy too...

Expediency is Key.. Simplicity is Key... Integration to the Operating System is KEY...

Standing out like a sore thumb and being independent is not what Evernote is about..

If you people spent more time creating content rather than just looking for it... You would understand.

I don't want to be rude, but I sort of hope the Evernote people reading forum posts have better reading comprehension skills and some basic concepts about UI components.

"light gray" --> Not enough of a hint for what MickeyMouse was talking about? Meh, I don't know, those menu on the left hand side? ALL the buttons including the editing tools? Basically the whole UI?

And comparing to 5.X where the actual NOTE actually has the sinificant lightest/brightest background, the 6.X's note background is hardly diffrentiable from the other parts of the interface (see JMichael's screenshot comparison https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78123-evernote-mac-v602-released/?p=328032). "The actual NOTE is taking center stage"? I think not.

Microsoft Office actually have distinguishable & click-able menus, buttons, along with the ability to quickly change background colors. As for text editor in general, I don't know, what about TextMate, VIM, Emacs, etc.? For "a black and white matter," it's surely curious they bother to offer tons of themes and the ability to create your own.

See, I understand different people work in different ways, so it's great that 6.X is working well for you. I just wish that you would have similar understandings when you feel the need to defend 6.X.

I cannot answer for others, but for myself, YES I have spent quite some time creating content in 6.X -- I use Evernote for my work and study all the time, and I was stuck with 6.X for a few days because I know that re-syncing the whole data base will need a relatively big trunk of time. And frankly, I don't think it's appropriate to simply dismiss the ones whole complaint by assuming they only take a quick look at the new interface and decided to hop on the forum to rant without actually using it. Seeing the many first-time posters, I highly doubt that's the case.

Yes, Evernote, please PLEASE bring back the old color scheme.

This grey on grey is atrociously ugly and depressing. I can't believe that you actually thought this would be good? This washed out look made me think something was wrong with my installation.

Just white background is fine. No need to get overly fancy with grey on grey or anything else.

Please do it straightaway. This horrible color scheme is a major major dealbreaker for me.

Just goes to show you can't trust any one application to meet all your needs. Things change, and not always for the better...

How is this?

Your forum allows color combinations yet the

evernote program doesn't. 

Let me be clear. 

Evernote now looks like a glorified text document.

As for what Mac Yosemite, etc does, I am not in the

Finder for hours writing notes and moving documents

around.

Considering that the admins are typing in a black text

you can read! but has their program in a very light gray,

practice what you preach for US TO READ AND WORK IN.

Crazy how successful American companies get so far

only to ***** up their business to allow the competition

to walk right in. 

Hope Evernote listens to continue solidifying their

great and interested supporters.

Evernote is text... And most people spend hours in Excel... They spend hours in Word... Even in their webbrowser...

At the end of the day reading and creating text is a black and white affair...

Oh also YOU CAN WRITE IN COLOUR IN EVERNOTE>>>

So I dont know what you are moaning about...

What many people are missing is that the actual NOTE is taking centre stage.....

There is plenty of colour there... And everything else is in the background...

In any case the beauty of Evernote is in its minimalist approach... Quick load up times... Its about taking in notes INSTANTANEOUSLY...

It launches immediately... The notes take center stage...

And comeon... finding them is easy too...

Expediency is Key.. Simplicity is Key... Integration to the Operating System is KEY...

Standing out like a sore thumb and being independent is not what Evernote is about..

If you people spent more time creating content rather than just looking for it... You would understand.

I don't want to be rude, but I sort of hope the Evernote people reading forum posts have better reading comprehension skills and some basic concepts about UI components.

"light gray" --> Not enough of a hint for what MickeyMouse was talking about? Meh, I don't know, those menu on the left hand side? ALL the buttons including the editing tools? Basically the whole UI?

And comparing to 5.X where the actual NOTE actually has the sinificant lightest/brightest background, the 6.X's note background is hardly diffrentiable from the other parts of the interface (see JMichael's screenshot comparison https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78123-evernote-mac-v602-released/?p=328032). "The actual NOTE is taking center stage"? I think not.

Microsoft Office actually have distinguishable & click-able menus, buttons, along with the ability to quickly change background colors. As for text editor in general, I don't know, what about TextMate, VIM, Emacs, etc.? For "a black and white matter," it's surely curious they bother to offer tons of themes and the ability to create your own.

See, I understand different people work in different ways, so it's great that 6.X is working well for you. I just wish that you would have similar understandings when you feel the need to defend 6.X.

I cannot answer for others, but for myself, YES I have spent quite some time creating content in 6.X -- I use Evernote for my work and study all the time, and I was stuck with 6.X for a few days because I know that re-syncing the whole data base will need a relatively big trunk of time. And frankly, I don't think it's appropriate to simply dismiss the ones whole complaint by assuming they only take a quick look at the new interface and decided to hop on the forum to rant without actually using it. Seeing the many first-time posters, I highly doubt that's the case.

I am all for the Yosemite experience, and intergation... I think this is absolutely awesome.

That said I sympathise with some of the posters... I can understand a bit more contrast in the menu listings to look more like other apple apps.

But the poster you are defending now, has made some not so good points....

As for basic UI 'skills' I am sure the Evernote team understands the concept better than 99% of posters here...

I am not simply defending Evernote... They make mistakes and criticism is VERY important, to make product better, and that may mean more contrast consideration...

It's just this 'all or none' mentality of we were better off before that gets to me...

I believe they made positive steps... Now they need to refine...

I have my pet hates too.... But for me its more about positioning and spacing than the actual contrast...

i.e. tags are crammed together and not visible when Evernote is at half screen... Or the fact that my side list view I use can't expand/collapse... Fixing this will improve visibility much more than what everyone is complaining about... Easy access in and out of working space increases visibility and output 10 fold...

As for the screenshot... The NOTE does take better center stage!!! in yosemite interface.... Proves my point exactly.

Also looking at that screenshot now... I am starting to believe the visibility is actually better now than it was before...

To see what tab we had selected we need to see a "black on black" indentation...

Also the blue is a lot easier to read than the green...

I think many of you are all just creatures of habit, throwing a fuss and maladaptive to change.

I have signed up to the forum so I can post about the new colour scheme. It is TERRIBLE. It is very hard on the eyes and it is not easy to see the different notes and notebooks at a quick glance like you were able to with the old design. 
First thing I did when I installed it was go through the preferences to see if there was an option for a different theme which obviously is not there. 

Please Evernote developers, listen to the people on these forums and create different theme options or skins. I have been using Evernote for years and recommend it nearly daily to various people. I won't be doing that until something changes with the UI. 

They did NOT remove all contrast...

You will find the 5 version actually had less contrast in many aspects...

That's because v5 made decent use of colour for contrast, instead of just shades of grey, grey, and yet more grey - and white...!

Are you guys serious?

In Ver. 5 Say I clicked on: Notes.. or Notebooks.... The only way I could see which I clicked on was a black on black indentation....

Also tags and date were a dreadful green colour on white background....

Anyone who knows anything about good contrast and visibility knows that green is a terrible colour on white....

Blue is a MUCH better option. (This is the reason, by convention, people use a blue or black pen to write with on paper... And NOT a GREEN pen!)

The use of grey is to let the black and blue stand out... Your side view is not to read... Its to get a quick visual picture... You cant have everything stand out... You need the important stuff to hit you, and the rest to be more in the background... Its not for reading really its for a quick organised view, before you actually enter the note... 

Again in ver. 6 the Note takes center stage which is vitally important. It also integrates with the rest of yosemite wich is awesome.

I think this is a case of people just throwing a tantrum thinking they know better, when they clearly dont.

I am not saying they cant improve the contrast ratio's in ver. 6 they clearly can...

However the colour schemes and combinations are a lot better thought out than ver. 5. 

This update is my nightmare. For some reason I've always known it was coming: a design change that would make Evernote more difficult to use and dampen my appreciation for the product. Well, with this lack of contrast here it is. Very sad day and can't believe they'll let this be the new normal. Grab 10 people off the street and do some user testing before making changes like this.

Edit: Note I've been a happy Evernote user for years and this is the first time I've felt the need to post. Can't even recommend it to anyone as is now because I can only imagine the user experience is even worse for those who haven't used the product before.

This update is my nightmare. For some reason I've always known it was coming: a design change that would make Evernote more difficult to use and dampen my appreciation for the product. Well, with this lack of contrast here it is. Very sad day and can't believe they'll let this be the new normal. Grab 10 people off the street and do some user testing before making changes like this.

Edit: Note I've been a happy Evernote user for years and this is the first time I've felt the need to post. Can't even recommend it to anyone as is now because I can only imagine the user experience is even worse for those who haven't used the product before.

I disagree wholeheartedly...

Recomend it and see what they have to say...

Forums are made for negativity and for complaints...

The large amount of complaints here is simply an indication of satisfied users not googling up, or finidng a forum to voice their satisfaction on... They just get on with their 'happier lives'... (Which includes the enrichment of a better look Evernote ;) )

Personally I much prefer it...

Also if its their first experience of the product they will be more receptive to something new....

In fact if you compared the two side by side and asked them which looks better I wouldnt be surprised if most people said the new version. (Esp. if they also see the and experience the translucency...)

The large amount of complaints here is simply an indication of satisfied users not googling up, or finidng a forum to voice their satisfaction on... They just get on with their 'happier lives'... (Which includes the enrichment of a better look Evernote ;) )

Haha! Now there's someone who drinks the Kool Aid! The users complaining are just blowing off steam so we can ignore them!

I can tell you don't work in UX and that's fine. The point isn't what you or I think looks better. Everyone has an opinion. The point is that low contrast makes things less intuitive. That's a fact. Earlier in my career when I was the one doing the work, I couldn't just create something that I thought looked great. I had to create something that looked good but #1 made the product easy to use.

Haha! Now there's someone who drinks the Kool Aid! The users complaining are just blowing off steam so we can ignore them!

I can tell you don't work in UX and that's fine. The point isn't what you or I think looks better. Everyone has an opinion. The point is that low contrast makes things less intuitive. That's a fact. Earlier in my career when I was the one doing the work, I couldn't just create something that I thought looked great. I had to create something that looked good but #1 made the product easy to use.

Well if you read one or two posts up... I explain that the contrast can

1) be improved upon

2) Why it is arguably much better than ver.5

As for UX experience...

I AM an end USER... So I have an opinion... as just that an END user...

As for people who work in UX,...

Im sure Evernote has a team much more qualified than most end users on this forum... Or people designing much less popular applications... 

The fact that I agree with the Evernote professionals make's me naive with regards to my opinion?

Just because you work in UX.. Your opinion is somehow more 'important'?

Last i checked this new look was approved by A multimillion dollar company in Evernote...

It also happens to be the direction some of the most established and well paid designers at apple are also taking...

A company that prides itself on design... And is worth billions...

Infact the most valuable brand in the world...

Enough said.

Well if you read one or two posts up... I explain that the contrast can

1) be improved upon

2) Why it is arguably much better than ver.5

Yes, either way, the one good thing here is that when something is this bad, it's inevitable it gets fixed. User themes at some point would be ideal.

Sorry Edited my post above... please re-read.

I cant disagree on user themes i guess...

Who am I to say customisation as per user preference shouldn't be allowed... (I do think it would be a bad idea by Evernote though, as a company, it may create problems for them they dont want... I wouldnt do it if I was them..)

It will drastically decrease responsiveness and speed of note taking (launching app, etc... (Create slugishness like OneNote)... Speed is very important in a note taking app, and is one of the greatest achievements of the new update.

Fragmentation in user experience will be an inevitable by product...

This is my first post, I had to look up the "Evernote Forums" to see if there's a way to go back to how the colors were before. So throw my name onto the list of people who hate the new color scheme. It is really, really bad. White on white? On light grey? Pretty bad. Please allow us to go to a dark option. At least the left-most menu could be dark, like it was before.

Thanks.

I'm another one who pretty much only posted on the forums to mention how hideous the new UI is. Considering that I *always* upgrade my software packages on all my devices (iMac, Air, iPad, iPhone), and once I saw how blah the new UI was on my iMac I declined the upgrade on my Air, says something. Please make the colors what they were before, at least put in a preference.

And I'm one of those paying for Evernote too as a Premium user, so it's not like I'm getting it for free, either.

Been using EverNote for years now.  Back a couple, or three years ago suggested EN program have an option for changing the background colors of any note; told that was "in the works".  Here we are, years later and the coloring scheme has actually gone from bad to worse.  More light on light colors; no ability whatsoever of altering the background color.; slavish adherence to the new and "cool" color schemes of Apple rather than what is ergonomic for working on a computer screen -- black on white paper is fine -- that's reflected light; black text on a white screen is NOT fine -- the monitor is shining direct light into your eyes; just ask any knowledgeable opthamologist.  Add to that that monitors have actually become brighter over the years.

Even "WordPerfect" back more than ten or fiteen years ago, on CRTs no less, realized that working on a bright monitor is not conducive to computer ergonomics and they provided a working screen of white text on a dark blue background -- what a joy to use!

The present situation with EverNote is rather disheartening.  At this point, I'm interpreting their position as one of marketing arrogance; as with many companies that become successful, their marketing people assume dominance over the company direction.  They've determined that selling EN is more important than options for ergonomics.  Certainly, offering the client the OPTION of changing the background color is not a technical Mount Everest for them to climb; however, it's obvious they'd rather spend the time and money on advertising and pretend they're "cool".  Look, I'm not saying you have to get rid of this light on light on white scheme -- but for god's sake offer us options!!  Honestly, if any of you who do any significant amount of work on a monitor screen have ever tried light text on a dark background, you'll discover the joy of not having to constantly squint.  Most of us don't even realize we're doing it.

Yes, I do realize that there are some people who have no problem typing black text on white screens; I'm OK with that.

Personally, I'm letting my EN subscription expire until their arrogance gets a wake-up call.

-- My two cents in a world where pennies don't count.

Been using EverNote for years now.  Back a couple, or three years ago suggested EN program have an option for changing the background colors of any note; told that was "in the works".  Here we are, years later and the coloring scheme has actually gone from bad to worse.  More light on light colors; no ability whatsoever of altering the background color.; slavish adherence to the new and "cool" color schemes of Apple rather than what is ergonomic for working on a computer screen -- black on white paper is fine -- that's reflected light; black text on a white screen is NOT fine -- the monitor is shining direct light into your eyes; just ask any knowledgeable opthamologist.  Add to that that monitors have actually become brighter over the years.

Even "WordPerfect" back more than ten or fiteen years ago, on CRTs no less, realized that working on a bright monitor is not conducive to computer ergonomics and they provided a working screen of white text on a dark blue background -- what a joy to use!

The present situation with EverNote is rather disheartening.  At this point, I'm interpreting their position as one of marketing arrogance; as with many companies that become successful, their marketing people assume dominance over the company direction.  They've determined that selling EN is more important than options for ergonomics.  Certainly, offering the client the OPTION of changing the background color is not a technical Mount Everest for them to climb; however, it's obvious they'd rather spend the time and money on advertising and pretend they're "cool".  Look, I'm not saying you have to get rid of this light on light on white scheme -- but for god's sake offer us options!!  Honestly, if any of you who do any significant amount of work on a monitor screen have ever tried light text on a dark background, you'll discover the joy of not having to constantly squint.  Most of us don't even realize we're doing it.

Yes, I do realize that there are some people who have no problem typing black text on white screens; I'm OK with that.

Personally, I'm letting my EN subscription expire until their arrogance gets a wake-up call.

-- My two cents in a world where pennies don't count.

Did any of you stop to think that a multimillion dollar company, like Evernote, and a multibillion dollar company like apple actually designed the look to be be ergonomic and efficient?

Do you know that both companies are now utilising systemic compatible looks?

Do you know how much they spend on effective designers? 

Especially apple... This is one of their key emphasis.. In fact they recruit the top talent just for this purpose...

I love the look and feel of both apple and the new look of Evernote.

It is simple. It is genius. Emphasis is not stolen in menus... But rather in the headings you need to see... and in the note itself.

Well done Apple... Well done Evernote... 

The look, feel, and coherency is brilliant.

It is so much easier on the eyes...

Programs flow and work together...

As apple always says... It just works.

Programs like evernote were never meant to be stand alone... Its about integration into an emmersive experience...

If you want independent design go play World of Warcraft.

The whole point of evernote is to integrate and play nice with the rest of the system. The look is an important part of this.

Less happening, with emphasis only on important snippets... 

You know what note you are on... and what note you are searching for...

I could sit and explain why its better, but it would go right over most people's heads.

The look has NEVER been more balanced. 

Never be afraid to innovate Evernote...

Dont be held back by people stuck the past.

In Growing sometimes you need to forget the initial users and focus on the new, and those willing to grow with you...

The old guys are just holding you down.. If they had their way we would still be running MS DOS. Maybe DOS is black enough for you...

It's not a question of white on black or black on white. It's an issue of structure, contrast, and clarity. The new "design" has essentially zero differentiation between the panes, offers no visual cues to help you skim lists of information, and does not indicate which notebook is chosen. 

But if you want to see what works better for yourself (your personal preference), do this: Open System Preferences, choose Accessibility, and check the "invert colors" box. Since Evernote is just black on white now, it's easy to use this as an experiment to see whether you like white text on black or black text on white better. 

Archived