Evernote for Android v6.2 Release

Theresa Pittappilly

Idea

Today we released Evernote for Android v6.2 to the Play Store.

This update includes support for business card scanning. Now you can turn business cards into detailed contacts and store them in Evernote and on your phone. You can also connect with LinkedIn to pull more detailed information and connect with others.

This update also includes improvements to Work Chat. In addition we have added more functionality to include notebook sharing support, blocking support, and an entry point to see all the notes that have been messaged to you.

And lastly we have included miscellaneous bug fixes. Thank you for all the issues you have reported so far.

Please do reply to this post with any issues you hit with the update as well as any feedback you may have. Thanks in advance!

21 replies to this idea

OK, thanks for that.  I was looking for the narrow, icons-only sidebar.  Didn't think about swiping to open it.  Still a 2-step process, but the function is there.

It even works on the CB, but it requires a very awkward click/drag that took me a couple tries to get to work.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Comments below.

Not sure where this has crept in, but I do see this on 6.2 tablet version.  If I have a notebook or note, and "add to home screen", when I use that shortcut there is no function to slide out the sidebar to access other evernote functions.  It is particularly annoying on a shortcut to a notebook, as I can't access the "new note" function without going back to All Notes first.

I'm using 6.2 on a Nexus 7 (2012) with Lollipop (5.0), but as I recall the problem started on 4.4.4.

Thanks!

@jim232777 thank you for reporting. It looks like a Nexus 7 only issue. We will investigate a fix for this issue.

Discovered something interesting--a similar problem exists in the Chromebook "Evernote for Android" app.  (Yeah, I know that's confusing, but it appears the Chromebook app is the Android app that's been promoted to run on the CB.)  

If I use one of my folder shortcuts (under the star icon) on either my Nexus 7 OR the Chromebook (don't have to use homescreen shortcut), it opens a snippet view of the folder in which I can select notes, but still have no "new note" capability.  So it turns out it's not just a Nexus 7 issue.

System particulars:

Nexus 7 2012 edition

Android 4.4.4

Evernote 6.4.2.2

Samsung C720

Chrome OS 39.0.2171.96

Evernote app 16.10624.3 (per Chrome's app info)

Evernote app 5.9.2 (per the app's settings/support/Current Evernote version menu option, so this must be the android version that got rolled up into the CB app)

In Nexus 7 2012, Lollipop, Evernote version 6.3.2.2, I can trigger a notebook saved search, and the sidebar (including the New Note, New Ink Note, etc. icons) is readily available by sliding from the left. Maybe a Kitkat problem?

Not sure where this has crept in, but I do see this on 6.2 tablet version.  If I have a notebook or note, and "add to home screen", when I use that shortcut there is no function to slide out the sidebar to access other evernote functions.  It is particularly annoying on a shortcut to a notebook, as I can't access the "new note" function without going back to All Notes first.

I'm using 6.2 on a Nexus 7 (2012) with Lollipop (5.0), but as I recall the problem started on 4.4.4.

Thanks!

@jim232777 thank you for reporting. It looks like a Nexus 7 only issue. We will investigate a fix for this issue.

Discovered something interesting--a similar problem exists in the Chromebook "Evernote for Android" app.  (Yeah, I know that's confusing, but it appears the Chromebook app is the Android app that's been promoted to run on the CB.)  

If I use one of my folder shortcuts (under the star icon) on either my Nexus 7 OR the Chromebook (don't have to use homescreen shortcut), it opens a snippet view of the folder in which I can select notes, but still have no "new note" capability.  So it turns out it's not just a Nexus 7 issue.

System particulars:

Nexus 7 2012 edition

Android 4.4.4

Evernote 6.4.2.2

Samsung C720

Chrome OS 39.0.2171.96

Evernote app 16.10624.3 (per Chrome's app info)

Evernote app 5.9.2 (per the app's settings/support/Current Evernote version menu option, so this must be the android version that got rolled up into the CB app)

I am not sure if the issue I am having is caused by Evernote for Windows or Evernote for Android but I will post it here since the problem is primary on Android version. When Evernote for Android first introduced business card scanning it worked, but it did not differensiate between phone number and fax number. So, I got two phone numbers and no way to change second phone field from phone to fax on Android client. I could do this on Windows client but it did not survive the sync. With latest update to Evernote for Windows they fixed that issue but that when business card notes on Android got all messed up. When I changed a field form phone to fax on my Windows client it caused a corresponding fax filed on one note in my Android client to completely disappear. On another note I lost both a phone field and fax field with no way to get either/both back. It it is nice that Evernote fixed the sync issue with Windows client, but I think that they fixed the wrong end of the problem. At least before, even though the changing field from phone to fax did not survive the sync on Windows Client, I at least had two phone fields on my Android Client and  could write word "fax" after a number on one of them. That is why I think that a problem is with Android client. It affects both my Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 4.4.4 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 with Android 4.2       

Since this update, I have been unable to use the document camera on my Droid RAZR Maxx. It takes a photo but then it just freezes. I have to force close the application. If I try to 'back out' of the app, I get a "Saving Pictures... 0 / 1" box, but the spinner just keeps on spinning.

I'm running Android 4.1.2.

This is an important feature that I use daily, so a resolution would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.

• Level 5*

Hi, with 6.2 when I try to store a webpage, it saves the 'whole page' and doesn't let me add on storage any tags. Previous version stored the URL on the note content and you could add tags on save, which allowed me to search for the notes much easier. 

Is there any way of achieving this on 6.2? 

Do you mean that you're using the web clipper (Share / Add to Evernote)? If so, when the green elephant icon comes up at the bottom of your screen, tap on it, and you can change notebook and add tags, and also designate whether to clip the whole page, or just the URL.

• Level 5*

There used to be an option to untick the "market" and "explore evernote" menu items... For some reason these items are back now and I cannot find the menu item to remove these. Any help?

Curious. I see those items on Evernote on my phone, but not on my tablet. No idea how to turn them off.

All my notes are visible with "unknown location", and "i" icon is not highlighted, although if I click "i" icon I can see pins with proper location.

There is no search field in location map. You have to zoom, zoom, zoom to select location when creating new note.

@Tsz, thanks for reporting. The unknown location can happen if you bad wifi. Are you seeing this in areas of good connectivity? We are not highlighting the 'i' since that informational UI will always have something available - not just location. Currently we don't have search for maps. Something we can look at for the future.

Now that we can scan business cards, is there a way to convert the hundreds of photos of cards I've already taken into the new format?

@Wavel, there isn't a way to currently convert older images. We'll investigate to see if there is a good way to support this. 

What's up with the notification trumpet? It won't go away, no matter how many times I view the announcements. It used to disappear after reading the notifications. I'm running Android 4.4.4 on an HTC M8, Evernote 6.2 and widget 3.1.5. How do I make it go away?

@JSage - thank you for reporting the issue. We're looking into it and should have a fix soon.

Thanks!

When I open the document camera and set flash to auto, flash turns on and stays on even if I am not taking a picture. It is almost impossible to take a picture when flash is always on.

@rainis, we made the change to keep flash on before taking the picture since it improves the accuracy of the document detection. In the next release we are adding a fix so that you can turn off flash.

Hi

How to create and organize tags structure using Android app?
I can't find any method in Evernote App itself and Evernote Web isn't supported on Android browsers (I use Chrome). That looks crazy!

Best regards

@Tsz you can create tags from notes. However editable tags is not yet supported on the Android client. This is definitely on our feature list so stay tuned. Organization of tags is something that is best done on the desktop clients due to space and interactions available on the phone form factor. However it is something we can look at for tablets in the future. 

What's up with the notification trumpet? It won't go away, no matter how many times I view the announcements. It used to disappear after reading the notifications. I'm running Android 4.4.4 on an HTC M8, Evernote 6.2 and widget 3.1.5. How do I make it go away?

Here's how I've fixed it, at least until the next notifications appear:

1. Remove the widget from your homescreen

2. Open Settings -> Apps -> Evernote Widget

3. Force stop, clear data

4. Add the widget back to your homescreen

All my notes are visible with "unknown location", and "i" icon is not highlighted, although if I click "i" icon I can see pins with proper location.

There is no search field in location map. You have to zoom, zoom, zoom to select location when creating new note.

When I open the document camera and set flash to auto, flash turns on and stays on even if I am not taking a picture. It is almost impossible to take a picture when flash is always on.

I'm having this problem also on a Galaxy SIII running Jellybean (4.3) and a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (ICS, 4.0.4)

Hi

How to create and organize tags structure using Android app?

I can't find any method in Evernote App itself and Evernote Web isn't supported on Android browsers (I use Chrome). That looks crazy!

Best regards

Thanks!

Archived