Request: Record audio when screen is off

zekedageek

Idea

Hi all,

First post here. A few evernoters and I use the audio clip feature to capture conversations or meetings but when the phone locks screen, the clip is automatically stopped. We run note 3's and have have company policy that controls our luck screen timeouts (exchange sync) - any chance there is some work going on to make the audio record feature still work beyond locked screen?

Would even be cool if there was the ability to pause/record from the lock screen like something like Spotify allows you to toggle with. Cheers

9 replies to this idea

Hi all,

First post here. A few evernoters and I use the audio clip feature to capture conversations or meetings but when the phone locks screen, the clip is automatically stopped. We run note 3's and have have company policy that controls our luck screen timeouts (exchange sync) - any chance there is some work going on to make the audio record feature still work beyond locked screen?

Would even be cool if there was the ability to pause/record from the lock screen like something like Spotify allows you to toggle with. Cheers

Any solution to this issue? I just noticed this happened to me 3 weeks ago when I was recording a meeting with my boss.
I was confident enough that it was recorded all throughout the meeting but after I checked, it just recorded the first few seconds .

I noticed that it stops the recording as soon as the phone locks the screen .
I'm thinking of using another app to record as a workaround but it would be nice if this is corrected right from the app itself.

Hello @optionBLur,

Thank you for posting. After looking into this it does appear to be by design that recording will stop when the screen is turned off. This insures that the audio clip is saved and not lost in the "Stand-by/Idle" process on your device.

While this is by design, I will be moving this topic over to the Android Feedback forums so that other users can vote on this feature to be added to the Evernote application on Android.

Thanks!

I isolated the issue and found out the that this only happens to Android.  I'm not sure though if this is due to Marshmallows restrictions. 

On my iPad,  works totally fine even I lock the screen while recording..  

For Android, audio cuts immediately once sleep button is pressed. 

Yes, this is a long standing issue. I had this capability w/ my iPhone and now that I'm on Android I do not. I just submitted a ticket (#2171274) in regards to this issue. But now I see that this is a known (deliberately designed) functionality issue; it would be nice if this issue was put at the top of the priority list. I see complaints going back to 2012 and some of the Evernote team members providing the same response year after year. 

Functionality should not be based on type of device. Users of the Android community would like to record without having to keep Evernote screen displayed or having to keep phone unlocked. Same as iDevice.

I guess I don't understand why this is still an issue with the Android app in 2018. Users have been asking for this for a few years. As it is right now, if I want to record a meeting or lecture, I have to use another app (I'm currently using Easy Voice Recorder Pro) to record the meeting/lecture, and then attach the file in Evernote later. If other Android recording apps can continue to record when the screen is locked, why can Evernote not do this? FWIW, I'm a premium user, and I love just about everything about Evernote - for me this is the only real complaint I have about the service/app. I'd REALLY like to be able to have this feature contained within Evernote and not have to use another app to make this happen.

19 hours ago, fonelab said:

Hi all.

You can mirror android phone to computer, and then use Fonelab screen recorder to record what you want.

It enables you to record computer video, audio and webcam contents as you need.

While this is a good idea and I assume that you tested it and it is working for you, it is not always you're in a situation that you are near your computer so I think, the recording in app should still be te best option, only it stops recording when the phone screen locks out

Archived