Evernote 6: Very bright UI

E-NoteForum

Idea

This isn't an aesthetic judgment or a knee-jerk "YOU GUYS CHANGED HOW IT LOOKS AND I WANT THE OLD VERSION BACK" post.

It's functional feedback: the new look of Evernote 6 is so bright that it hurts my eyes to look at after a very short period. I work on a computer every day and have no eye conditions or other disabilities; the Evernote 6 window is just now really, really, really white and bright. Whiter and brighter than any app I can think of.

I've never had an app so bright that it's actually uncomfortable to look at for more than a few minutes, but man, Evernote is the first. I have two suggestions for how to address the issue:

• Simple: Take the note list and sidebar and make them a darker shade of gray, so that the note-taking area has more contrast and is the only mega-bright part of the app.
  • Deluxe: Color schemes, like the iOS app, so that users can select from a few presets (some of which I hope would be more gray/green than full-on bright).

Again, this isn't an aesthetic judgment or subjective design feedback; it's actually a little bit painful to look at the new Evernote app due to its brightness. Has anyone else had a hard time adjusting to the no-contrast, high-brightness look of Evernote 6?

40 replies to this idea

I created an account on the forums just so I could add my voice to the request for darker or more differentiated layout of the new Evernote 6. Like A48502, I opened it and then immediately looked for the preferences where I could set color scheme. Alas, there isn't that option. It's very bright, very undifferentiated between sections. Is there a rationale behind this choice? The only thing that could have made it worse is to have decided to put all the text in red (thank you for not doing that!). UI redesign for the sake of improved usability is one thing, this seems to be another: UI redesign for the sake of being different.

It would be fabulous to hear from Evernote team on their thinking.

I agree with all of these critiques. It's very difficult to use for more than a few minutes at a time, on Yosemite. A dark mode is long overdue, or at the least basic theme options or some sort of minor color differentiation. I rely on EN and this sea of blinding white presents a weird challenge. Please. 

• Level 5

UI redesign for the sake of being different.

Actually, the reason was not to be different but to be consistent with the Yosemity design. Look at the Apple Works apps below. The same white-greyish design. I don't say I like it very much but I understand Evernote's motives. And after the last Evernote Conference when the new design has been presented I mostly read enthusiastic tweets about it.

Bildschirmfoto%202014-11-22%20um%2020.49

Wow I too have a real problem with the white on white UI here.  It's nearly unusable in Snippet view which is where I live my entire life.  I too fruitlessly tried to find ways to set this in the UI, then defaulted to searches and then here to the forum.  It's hard to believe this is a conscious choice by designers who use the product every day.  Please address this! 

OMG, what they said.

What a mess. Went from a harmonious blend of greys, black and white to a stark landscape of blazing whiteness. No focus anywhere.

Ugly, fugly, FUGLY. A sheepish mis-following of Apple's questionable design aesthetic on Yosemite.

I've reverted back to the previous EN version and am hanging on to it for as long as it functions. 

Yuck! For the love of god, take it back or make it better. I love Evernote, but not this UI!  :/

OMG, what they said.

What a mess. Went from a harmonious blend of greys, black and white to a stark landscape of blazing whiteness. No focus anywhere.

Ugly, fugly, FUGLY. A sheepish mis-following of Apple's questionable design aesthetic on Yosemite.

I've reverted back to the previous EN version and am hanging on to it for as long as it functions. 

Yuck! For the love of god, take it back or make it better. I love Evernote, but not this UI!  :/

How do you revert? Can you go back to the previous version? Would love to do this on my work machine. Fortunately, I didnt "update" my personal machine yet.

What a disappointment! Evernote has also switched to this white nightmare: everything is white, you can't distinguish anything anymore.

What is wrong with using grey shades, guys? What is wrong with subtle cues to the user as to how the interface is supposed to work?

Why do you designers all follow the bandwagon of replacing good design with flat-flatter-flattest?

Please go back and abandon this fad!

(BTW: how can I downgrade to the earlier version?) 

I was lucky, while my Mac Pro automatically took the ver.6 update from App.Store, my Mac Book Pro was on manual updates. So I just copied the ver. 5.5.1 app-file from the applications folder on my laptop to my dektop machine - at first start up on a lower version, Evernote forced the notes to be downloaded in full.  I have less than 100 MB so no problem.  Now I will try to keep it on ver.5 until Evernote listen to our complains an give  us alternatives to this contrast less design.

I was lucky, while my Mac Pro automatically took the ver.6 update from App.Store, my Mac Book Pro was on manual updates. So I just copied the ver. 5.5.1 app-file from the applications folder on my laptop to my dektop machine - at first start up on a lower version, Evernote forced the notes to be downloaded in full.  I have less than 100 MB so no problem.  Now I will try to keep it on ver.5 until Evernote listen to our complains an give  us alternatives to this contrast less design.

Thanks so much!  Fortunately, my personal machine was still good to go.  I was able to delete the new one and go back.  I'm back in business!

Wow.... I'm so glad to see other people find this unbearable.  I use EN A LOT. And I was pretty excited for a new UI until it launched and this super bright, awful interface popped open. 

Simple question EN, why not have a customizable interface! like All ADOBE software do, where each user can decide if they want a super bright UI or a dark one that doesn't kill their eyes!

you have it on the iphone so why not on the mac.

Seriously, please fix this.

Please, it is so so bright, is free from any discernible contrast, and is totally uninspiring. It is definitely an accessibility issue too.

I used to enjoy firing up Evernote, but the new design just sucks ass. I am amazed at what a difference the color change has made to my ability to use the program.

Robert

We will all need to invest in a pair of sunglasses - if it was April 1st I would think this was a joke. It pretty much makes it impossible to work in Evernote for more than 3 minutes.

Are you on Mavericks or Yosemite?  I know there's a lot of discussion about the use of transparency but one of the good things is it adds color to the app which you won't see on Mavericks.  

[different user here] 

I'm on Mountain Lion (holding out as it's a pro audio machine) and it's crazy bright with no sensible contrast.  Need contrast . . . . . 

Did a little more digging - looks like there is an attempt at contrast...but may not be functioning as planned...

Attached screenshot shows light green banding on right hand side...but seems to fall away as you look left.

This isn't an optical illusion..it looks the same way from multiple angles.

Hope this helps..

post-107765-0-70270000-1416514841_thumb.

Hrm, I'm not seeing that on the side of my list. Though I should point out that I'm still on Mavericks, so I could be missing out on Yosemite-specific transparency or color options.

Also, I use the snippets view in my notes list, which has no alternating contrast. If you go with a straight up notes list (as pictured above), you get some eye-saving alternation between white and gray.

It would be great if the snippets view also alternated colors to help parse the elements. The same goes for the shortcuts list and the notebooks list ... alternating colors in lists is a proven way to make them more readable (which is why so many apps do it).

This isn't an aesthetic judgment or a knee-jerk "YOU GUYS CHANGED HOW IT LOOKS AND I WANT THE OLD VERSION BACK" post.

It's functional feedback: the new look of Evernote 6 is so bright that it hurts my eyes to look at after a very short period. I work on a computer every day and have no eye conditions or other disabilities; the Evernote 6 window is just now really, really, really white and bright. Whiter and brighter than any app I can think of.

I've never had an app so bright that it's actually uncomfortable to look at for more than a few minutes, but man, Evernote is the first.

My-Eyes.jpg

I like the new look overall, but it seems like a strange choice to use Vibrancy everywhere? I think apple made it pretty clear in their UI examples / guidelines that it is only for the sidebars. Take the finder for example, there is no vibrancy in the main window around the files. The biggest area where this feels out of place is inside the notebook and tag windows; it seems this should just be a solid colour (or at the least, the same vibrancy effect as in the Favourites / Top Sites window in Safari).

Also, the notebooks are too simple! I never thought I would say that, as love the new simple interface of Yosemite, but they have no contrast and don't stand out. It feels like a giant wash of white with no definition to outline what is important; my eyes are not drawn to anything.

I'm also downright shocked that you didn't use the colour green anywhere. It is a major branding symbol! This is the biggest sign that you are indeed dealing with Evernote and not another generic application. 

I am very grateful for the update and the work that has gone into making the application more stable, but I expected more on the interface front. I hope some customization with themes are made available, as I'm sure others will desire a different look to the application as well. Overall, it still doesn't seem as refined as the iOS and web versions.

I've never had an app so bright that it's actually uncomfortable to look at for more than a few minutes, but man, Evernote is the first.

My-Eyes.jpg

First I'm a huge fan of the new look.

I just want to tell you your picture sucks man. Here's a more powerful my-eye theme picture, comes from China.

gamersky_01small_02_20131226167774.jpg

:D

We will all need to invest in a pair of sunglasses - if it was April 1st I would think this was a joke. It pretty much makes it impossible to work in Evernote for more than 3 minutes.

Are you on Mavericks or Yosemite?  I know there's a lot of discussion about the use of transparency but one of the good things is it adds color to the app which you won't see on Mavericks.  

I really try to get used to the new interface... and I don't think it's the brightness that bothers me... it's the lack of contrast in between the different sections of the interface... it's all white and less white... my eyes kind of get lost in the sea of white... in the old interface it was easier to keep the sections apart from each other... also pleas evernote consider that not everybody uses the latest and greatest retina mac where the contrast might be better (can't check as I'm on a MBP early 2011)

I really try to get used to the new interface... and I don't think it's the brightness that bothers me... it's the lack of contrast in between the different sections of the interface... it's all white and less white... my eyes kind of get lost in the sea of white... in the old interface it was easier to keep the sections apart from each other... also pleas evernote consider that not everybody uses the latest and greatest retina mac where the contrast might be better (can't check as I'm on a MBP early 2011)

Exactly right.  It's the lack of distinction/contrast between the sections that's bothering me.  Not the actual whiteness as such. 

The distinction between the sidebar, the snippets and the main work area has gone and they've all almost blurred into one.

The immediate reaction to this within hours of the release must indicate that many have reacted adversely to this.  I appreciate some like it, so now Evernote have a dilemma on their hands.

It's all right here: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/index.html

Quote 1: "Yosemite uses translucency and vibrancy to help users focus on what’s important to them" - In the new Evernote, it is used to distract the user from the important content by using it everywhere. It should not be used in the main content window since that defeats the purpose.

Quote 2: "A translucent toolbar helps the window UI recede, letting the user’s content appear more prominent" - Evernote uses the toolbars to blend with the background content (i.e the new notebook / find a notebook header) . Toolbar blending is intended for in-application content blending, i.e content within the app. That toolbar should be blending with whats on the page, such as the notebooks colours (or lack there off).

Quote 3: "Sidebars and overlays can use vibrancy to defer to the user’s content in two different ways."

1) "A sidebar that enables app-level navigation, such as the Finder sidebar, lets users see the content behind the window" - This is fine for the main sidebar that displays Notes / Notebooks / Tags etc.

2) "An overlay that provides selection and other controls that are focused on window content, such as the Maps Directions view, gives users a more expansive view of the window’s content." - Blurring within the the app content, not background blurring.

Again, there is no mention of using vibrancy inside the main content windows or using a tone down effect on the toolbars to blur background content. 

It seems the designers were just pulling their UI choices out of thin air. This does not look like the job of a professional designer. Also, use green as a highlight colour to offer contrast and constancy with the iOS and web based apps, and to add brand recognition (not blue). This is pretty objective feedback.

Adds color to the app?  All I see is white on white with more white, with a slight touch of whitish gray if I strain my eyes to differentiate.  I'm on Yosemite.  Just about screamed when I saw the new tanning booth layout.  Am I missing a setting option to turn on colors or themes like in the mobile apps?  I tried looking for customization options, but have not seen any?

Well, I replaced my desktop image to a very dark picture to give myself some relief from the painful brightness glaring back at me. It doesn't help. I am still surrounded by a sea of white. And more white. How difficult can it be to allow the user to choose a color - pretty basic stuff I would think. Why are you forcing on everyone an idiotic color scheme - its not even a color scheme - its just WHITE!!!! I'm guessing some young designer is trying to earn his salary - but come on - do these designers actually use Evernote for note-taking? If they did they would see that what may be 'modern' is not practical.

I haven't actually seen anyone complain about the color scheme in the previous versions of Evernote. Why change something that works?

And get we get the option to get rid of the work chat button? Many people on these forums have asked for this - not without a reason. I would think that the vast majority of Evernote users will never have a need for that. Again - an example of Evernote forcing something on people without giving them a choice.

Archived