Sync problem

Markmaster

Idea

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Sorry, but I don't have any suggested fixes other than these drastic actions:

1. Full Uninstall / Reinstall -- I hate to suggest this drastic action without any real clue as to what's causing your issue, but sometimes it works.  If you're interested, let me know and I'll provide detailed instructions.
  2. Switch to Direct Download from Evernote.com and install latest version (5.7.2)
    Since I made this post, Evernote has released EN Mac 6 -- you may, or may not want to update to Ver 6 yet.  See the Ver 6 Release Announcement.

If you decide to do either, be sure to:

1. Do a full backup of your Evernote folder
  2. Export to ENEX all Local Notebooks and Unsync'd Notes

Finally, you may want to Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

If you are a Premium account owner, you can also do a Support Chat, which will be an option presented during the Support Ticket process.

EDIT:  Add note above about release of EN Mac 6.

Sorry, but I don't have any suggested fixes other than these drastic actions:

1. Full Uninstall / Reinstall -- I hate to suggest this drastic action without any real clue as to what's causing your issue, but sometimes it works.  If you're interested, let me know and I'll provide detailed instructions.
  2. Switch to Direct Download from Evernote.com and install latest version (5.7.2)

If you decide to do either, be sure to:

1. Do a full backup of your Evernote folder
  2. Export to ENEX all Local Notebooks and Unsync'd Notes

Finally, you may want to Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

If you are a Premium account owner, you can also do a Support Chat, which will be an option presented during the Support Ticket process.

Thanks. I reinstall the latest version from evernote site and now it works good. But I am lost the sync progress bar. It was leftside in the app. For me was important. Any chance to get it back?

Hi Marcus and JM :)

That error message is the exact same one I was getting repeatedly when I tried to "backgrade" from v5.7.2 to v5.5.2. I did a total uninstall (using AppCleaner and Hazel), reboot, then installed 5.5.2

Every time it would start the sync (it would need to sync back the entire database, as if it were a new install on a new machine), I got that error message, either immediately or after some download progress that then stalled before giving me that error.

But after another clean reinstall of v5.7.2 (the later version), it synced back with no problems.  Took a while (I have thousands of notes) but no problems.

So my question, based on a presumption: could Marcus tell me if I'm right or wrong when I guess that there was some sort of change in the database structure between v5.5.2 and v5.7.2 - that's before and after the major re-write? If a person has already migrated notes up to v5.7.2 or beyond, then maybe they can't downgrade below 5.7.2 as I was trying to do.  And was the original poster perhaps trying to do something similar?

EN syncs back from v6 to v5.7.2, but not from 5.7.2 to v5.5.2    I tried multiple times, with full uninstalls, clean reinstalls, reboots, etc - and got this error message every time.  Once I simply reinstalled v5.7.2, it synced back without a problem.

If my presumption/guess is correct, perhaps people should be warned that they can't downgrade across that "divide" between 5.5.2 and 5.7.2?

And for what it's worth, removing the progress bar is yet another example of taking away something that works, and that many people (including me) were very used to using. And once again, the question is WHY?  You say that sync is much faster - but that may be for you guys on corporate high speed Internet connections. For all the poor plebs out here in the real world that have typical domestic or office connections that are WAY slower, the download progress bar is the signal that something is still happening.  The spinning blue gizmo doesn't give you any information at all other than that EN is trying to sync. No sign of progress or lack of it.  Put me down as another vote for bring back the progress bar - except I want it in v5.7.2 since I'm not going to be using the new v6 or 6.0.1

Better yet - how about bring out v7, complete with fully customizable skins and colours (incl Classic), fully customizable toolbars with ALL functions being able to be put on there, the download progress bar restored, fast sync for those with fast connections, the option to remove/turn off totally things like Context (yes, I know it can be hidden at the moment), Chat (which can't be hidden), etc?  In other words - v7 would solve almost ALL the problems that are causing this outpouring of complaints....  Just think how nice THAT would be if we all shut up? :wub:

Hi Marcus and JM :)

That error message is the exact same one I was getting repeatedly when I tried to "backgrade" from v5.7.2 to v5.5.2. I did a total uninstall (using AppCleaner and Hazel), reboot, then installed 5.5.2

Every time it would start the sync (it would need to sync back the entire database, as if it were a new install on a new machine), I got that error message, either immediately or after some download progress that then stalled before giving me that error.

But after another clean reinstall of v5.7.2 (the later version), it synced back with no problems.  Took a while (I have thousands of notes) but no problems.

So my question, based on a presumption: could Marcus tell me if I'm right or wrong when I guess that there was some sort of change in the database structure between v5.5.2 and v5.7.2 - that's before and after the major re-write? If a person has already migrated notes up to v5.7.2 or beyond, then maybe they can't downgrade below 5.7.2 as I was trying to do.  And was the original poster perhaps trying to do something similar?

EN syncs back from v6 to v5.7.2, but not from 5.7.2 to v5.5.2    I tried multiple times, with full uninstalls, clean reinstalls, reboots, etc - and got this error message every time.  Once I simply reinstalled v5.7.2, it synced back without a problem.

If my presumption/guess is correct, perhaps people should be warned that they can't downgrade across that "divide" between 5.5.2 and 5.7.2?

And for what it's worth, removing the progress bar is yet another example of taking away something that works, and that many people (including me) were very used to using. And once again, the question is WHY?  You say that sync is much faster - but that may be for you guys on corporate high speed Internet connections. For all the poor plebs out here in the real world that have typical domestic or office connections that are WAY slower, the download progress bar is the signal that something is still happening.  The spinning blue gizmo doesn't give you any information at all other than that EN is trying to sync. No sign of progress or lack of it.  Put me down as another vote for bring back the progress bar - except I want it in v5.7.2 since I'm not going to be using the new v6 or 6.0.1

Better yet - how about bring out v7, complete with fully customizable skins and colours (incl Classic), fully customizable toolbars with ALL functions being able to be put on there, the download progress bar restored, fast sync for those with fast connections, the option to remove/turn off totally things like Context (yes, I know it can be hidden at the moment), Chat (which can't be hidden), etc?  In other words - v7 would solve almost ALL the problems that are causing this outpouring of complaints....  Just think how nice THAT would be if we all shut up? :wub:

Here-here! I too reverted to 5.7.2, and do not see any need to move to 6.x; been there, done that, did not like it. Yes the progress bar, who in their rabid mind thought removing it was helpful for users?

Warning the next may be a tad harsh: Is it me or does it seem V6.x is more to fulfill developers thoughts of self productivity than to assist and enhance user experience? Growing up I heard when you want folks to believe you are working then make noise get dirty. Hum, could the same be for designers, regardless if features are usable and appearances are acceptable keep putting out changes, thus one may think activity equals productivity.

At present I have moved almost all my notes to OneNote. Oh-sure, not as feature rich as Evernote, yet it works, is easy on the eyes, and more, also I all my eggs are not in one basket. On a final note, because of this v6.x fiasco I cancelled my Premium subscription; wow had that for many years.

Archived