Un-highlighting Found Search Terms

In some cases I need to print a document I've stored in Evernote. When I use the search interface to find what I'm looking for, say "Insurance Toyota", the chosen document will have those words highlighted within the document. The trouble is when I want to print it prints with all those highlights. If I un-search for the document of course the highlights go away but so does the document. How can I search for a document but print it without the highlights? A lot of my documents are simply in my "Personal" folder with no particular tags. This makes searching more necessary but results in highlighted words throughout the document. How can I avoid this?       

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Off the top of my head:

1. On mobile, after accessing any note (even without editing), it shows up under the "Notes" section on the Home screen (at least in iOS)
  2. Perhaps save the notes you want to print temporarily to the Shortcuts list
  3. Temporarily tag those notes to be printed... and then un-tag them once you're done (on desktop you can drag and drop to a tag in the left panel)
  4. Create a temporary TOC for a selection of notes on desktop (the note for which should show up at the top of your note list, sorted to "updated"/ "created")

I must say, that sounds like an interesting predicament. I'm not sure how you would otherwise avoid printing the highlighted phrases. 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I took your advice and created tag called "Print". When I Search and locate the note I need I simply I drag it to the "Print" Tag. I just jump into the tag, grab the note, print it, and then un tag it. The "Print" tag is now empty awaiting the next note. Great solution. Yeah it's a work around to an extent, I guess, but it does what I need it to do.

Thanks for the quick response.   

The thing I just discovered is that even with a note opened in a new window, the highlights on Windows desktop do not disappear (not even when the search is killed, in my case)... that is, until you click inside the note or select something with the cursor... so in that sense, one just needs to do the same thing within the original note pane, and highlighting disappears too. In fact, it seems like the highlighting disappears in all the notes as you move from note to note within the search-results context, after just one note is accessed.

• Level 5*

Good point.  It does appear that if you click in any note in the search results, the highlight disappears for all notes (interesting behavior???).  

So to the OP's original question, clicking in the note before you print should solve the problem.

Good point.  It does appear that if you click in any note in the search results, the highlight disappears for all notes (interesting behavior???).  

So to the OP's original question, clicking in the note before you print should solve the problem.

Yes... it is kind of odd... since you might want to edit something and then continue searching through your results. If so... what I've found is that one needs to place the cursor in the search bar again and hit enter to have the same search load again - and consequently, the keyword/ phrase is re-highlighted.

The thing I just discovered is that even with a note opened in a new window, the highlights on Windows desktop do not disappear (not even when the search is killed, in my case)... that is, until you click inside the note or select something with the cursor... so in that sense, one just needs to do the same thing within the original note pane, and highlighting disappears too. In fact, it seems like the highlighting disappears in all the notes as you move from note to note within the search-results context, after just one note is accessed.

Wow. This was one of the first things I tried, and when I saw the highlights were still there I just figured it didn't work. I never bothered to click inside the note. And as you all just pointed out, clicking inside the note in the original pane does the same thing. Thanks to frank.dg and csihilling for all the helpful pointers.

• Level 5*

Wow!  IMO, this is either a bug or a design flaw.

I can't believe that any app would require that you do these type of work-arounds just to print properly after a search.

I've never seen it in any other app, including Adobe Acrobat.

• Level 5*

Could be intentional so as to see your highlights in the print, but then why clicking in one note removes highlights from all notes in the search set wouldn't make much sense.  That and no option as to which way to print puts my vote in the design flaw camp.

Archived