Updated and now all my notes are gone.... hundreds of them

The old icon popped up saying an update was available and would I like to restart now or later.  With 30 minutes to my next meeting I said "what the heck" and went for it. When the updated version came up, all my notes were missing... hundreds of them.  Fortunately I still see them online.  Unfortunately much of my work is offline.  I've tried to sync several times, uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my mac and still no luck. Sent an email to support a few days ago and no word back.  Any one else encounter this?  Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated: )    Thanks!

I didn't encounter the notes missing but had a problem with the support team too. I've had other problems then sent mail to support but got reply after a whole week which didn't solve my problem.

I'm a Premium user and they guarantee to reply in 1 work day. I don't know what's wrong with their support system. And now my problem goes to the "tech team" or so that there is no predictable time for the reply. Don't know what to say.

• Level 5*

The old icon popped up saying an update was available and would I like to restart now or later.  With 30 minutes to my next meeting I said "what the heck" and went for it. When the updated version came up, all my notes were missing... hundreds of them.  Fortunately I still see them online.  Unfortunately much of my work is offline.  I've tried to sync several times, uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my mac and still no luck. Sent an email to support a few days ago and no word back.  Any one else encounter this?  Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated: )    Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  I've noticed a few other users that have experienced similar problems after the update.

Since reinstall of the app did not fix your issue, I'm not sure I can offer much more help, but IAC we need more info:

1. Mac OS Ver
  2. EN Ver prior to update
  3. EN Ver after update
  4. Do you have any Local Notebooks?

If you don't mind spending the $5, you could move up to a Premium account, and this would provide you will much better support, including real-time Chat with support.  Using Chat is probably the fastest way to resolve your issue.

• Level 5*

Usually you can fix this type problem with EN iOS by:

1. Delete Evernote app
  2. Restart your iOS device
  3. Re-download/install Evernote

Note:  If you had any Offline Notebooks setup, you will need to set them up again, and it may take a while to download all of the Notes

• Level 5*

Thanks.  How do I re-setup the Offline notebooks so I can start downloading the notes.  No problem if it takes some time.

If you are running EN iOS, goto Evernote > Settings > Premium > Offline Notebooks.

I am running OSX 10.9.5 on my macbook.  EN v 5.7.2.

I do not see a settings/premium selection where I can set Off Line notebooks on either evernote.com (where I see my notes).  Or on the EN App on my mac.  Can you clarify a bit more?

Ok, so let me ask the question this way.  How do I get all of my notes which are on EN.com to populate my EN App on my mac?

New notes that I create on my mac (which is where I create all my notes) stay on my mac app and sync to the EN.com account.  

This problem only started at the last update.  I update at least every other week if not weekly.

Other thoughts based on this context? 

• Level 5*

Each device syncs with the EN Cloud Service, not with each other.  The best way to ensure proper sync is to do a manual sync on each device.  The EN Web is the exception since it directly connects with the EN Cloud.

EN-Sync-Diagram.gif

I have developed a habit that helps me avoid 99% of sync issues:

1. Manually sync, and sync often.  Don't rely on the autosync.
  2. Always manually sync after:
    1. Entry/Edit of an important Note
    2. The end of each session
    3. The end of each day
    4. You're finished with one device, and want to switch to another device
    5. You first start using another device
  3. For important work, view the Notes on the other device to make sure all Notes are sync'd

I manually sync daily.  However, remember my problem:  I see hundreds of notes on-line and they are not syncing to my (mac) device, manually or otherwise.  Yet new notes that I create on my mac are syncing just fine.  Still have not received outreach on my support ticket.  

I've been using EN happily for 4 years and recently just upgraded to premium.  Unfortunately if I can't get this resolved I'll be forced to move my notes off of the platform and find an alternative.... 

I really don't wan to do this, so I appreciate your help....

Any other thoughts?

I'm not sure if all my notes are there, but when I installed the update my To Do List went back to a few months ago.  The current one is online but I don't know how to get it to sync down instead of my old one to sync up.  It doesn't seem right you can't contact support even about a bug like this without being Premium. 

JMichael,  I appreciate all your help.  I simply do not have a way to invoke chat.  I have the receipt that I am a premium user but am not receiving any benefit that I can tell. I'm getting dreadfully close to abandoning EN.  Not sure if you even work for EN so don't want to bite the hand that's feeding me.  That said, if you do work for EN can you escalate this?  If EN does not value my business, then I guess I'll cancel my premium subscription.  

• Level 5*

I don't work for Evernote.  I'm just another user, just like you.

Sounds like Evernote is not recognizing you as a Premium owner.

So, you can submit a Support Ticket, and choose the "Account Issue" option as the reason.

Then you can ask for their help with getting your Premium account recognized, and with any technical issues you have.

Thought so.... really appreciate your help :)  If I had any confidence they'd respond to a ticket I would, but seeing as its been 2 weeks since my first ticket, I don't have time for that.    Ironic part is, I get that support is an incredibly costly proposition - hence why I was willing to pay for premium, just to get the chat support.  A shame that they lose a customer... oh well.  Thanks for your help!

• Level 5

I have the receipt that I am a premium user but am not receiving any benefit that I can tell.

Before contacting support in the way JMicheal suggested you should find out whether your account is set to premium or not. To do that go to evernote.com, sign into your account and select the menu with your name on the top right and go to "account settings". There the account type should say 'Premium' or 'Free'.

Hi folks

I wanted to replay to Stuhrer and when I clicked on login to replay, I was automatically logged in as a user Cherice. I can modify her account? Is this a bug or a feature?

I will logoff now and try to login with my account, hoping that no other user can use it...

Eddy

I keep stuck with Cherice. I hope she don't minds.

I am writing this reply the second time, because the first just went into a black hole.

I know why the notes are not visible on the Mac App. This has nothing to do with re-installing the app or with settings or whatever. Its just a bug in the software. Check your activity protocol and you will see tons of exceptions like this:

2014/11/23 09:42:23:687 E|*** -[ENCommonEditorWebView callJavascriptENMethod:args:] main | Calling EN.execCommand((

shared,
    "{\"visible\":false}",
    ""
)) failed with exception: [<DOMAbstractView 0x618000221720> valueForUndefinedKey:]: this class is not key value coding-compliant for the key EN.

2014/11/23 09:42:23:711 E|*** -[ENCommonEditorWebView callJavascriptENMethod:args:] main | Calling EN.queryCommandValue((
    title,
    "<null>"
)) failed with exception: [<DOMAbstractView 0x618000221720> valueForUndefinedKey:]: this class is not key value coding-compliant for the key EN.

The notes are there, but they can't be displayed on non-english-mac-apps. Check your iPad or iPhone and you will see, that they still are there.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Eddy

Hey guys,

I have really problems with the latest Evernote updates. 
First of all. Nobody needs a new design. You should implement more functions.
This is what most of the users wanted.

I would love to have the possibility to strike through line to mark it as done.

Also a REAL task manager and not just the possibility of making a checklist.
A task manager with adding reminders to one action am so on. 
In the last eMail I wrote to you you said that you are working in the new iOS 8 Version.
You got this wrong guys. 

The next thing is, I don't get the daily eMail reminders any more. And I don't have changes anything. 

The desktop version of the "new" Evernote is slow. There are synching problems.
And the mobile versions are buggy,
are often rebooting and simply syncing the older part of a note! 

So thank you Evernote for the latest new "update"!
Don't make it look better. Make it work better!!!

This is what you concentrate to!

Archived