Hoping that Reminders will become usable soon through iteration

I've tried using the much anticipated Reminders feature for a while, but have since given up on it, finding it actually unusable (I don't want to, I'd like to keep using them!)

Why? Because they are not handled well by Evernote, and in general they hang around like a bad smell, getting in the way like yesterday's newspaper

It seems the only way to get rid of them is to go in and manually delete them – which is really not the way to handle temporal events

Here is what I can offer with the time I have available to devote to this issue:

Why aren't they in the sidebar, and out of "Notes"?

Why isn't there a case for an "expired" (i.e., the date has come and gone), but not marked done reminder? These need their own treatment (i.e., hide them), they don't need to hang around collecting dust – it just makes Reminders unusable

Even if you mark them done, they don't go away as they should; and in fact, even so much as clicking on Reminders automatically checks the "Show Recently Completed Reminders" Box !

Are users expected to go into EN and delete reminders after marking them done? If that's the case, why even have a marked done status?

TL;DR: Reminders are a very cool idea, need to keep iterating on it, don't just leave as-is to rot! This is a first attempt and there are almost certainly going to be issues like this to fix

This analysis is done because I like Evernote and want to see it improve; it's a valuable asset to me and my work, so thanks very much for it  :)

• Level 5*

Reminders are just notes like any other notes in Evernote, except that they have reminder information (date, order, etc.) attached to them. They are filterable, just like normal notes, and you can tag, delete, re-parent, etc. them just like normal notes. That's the reason that they're in the Notes section / Note view (for certain note views, they are also collected in a special reminder sublist, e.g. Snippet view in the Windows client, the Android client, the web client, etc.). Keeping a completed note around is handy for those of us who like to keep track of completed tasks; in my case, I move it to a Journal notebook, where it's out of the way.

I find them very handy as they are now.

Archived