Can't set up an account on the PC...

I'm new to Evernote. Please be patient.

I have got Evernote on my new Android phone and just installed it on the PC. The first thing the PC version asks, in order to setup an account, is my email and password. I have tried both email accounts that I have and neither works. I have tried both "New to Evernote" and "Already have an account". I'm confused and frustrated.

I would appreciate any help.

I'm new to Evernote. Please be patient.

I have got Evernote on my new Android phone and just installed it on the PC. The first thing the PC version asks, in order to setup an account, is my email and password. I have tried both email accounts that I have and neither works. I have tried both "New to Evernote" and "Already have an account". I'm confused and frustrated.

I would appreciate any help.

You don't want to set up a new account, if you already did this on your phone.  On the PC, you want to select 'already have an account' & use the login credentials you used when you set up the account on your phone.

I just tried it again. It shows errors for both the username and the password. I am positive that I used my gmail address. I have tried to change my gmail password multiple times today. I don't remember which one I used when I created an account on the phone! I DO know my current gmail password. But it doesn't work.

Do I have to uninstall both programs and start over?

Do I have to use my gmail address?

If so, do I have to use my gmail password [or can Evernote accept a different password]?

I am frustrated well past the 100% mark. I have spent far too much time futzing with this!!! I have been trying to get Evernote running for 3 days. The first day, I uninstalled it and said "Never more" {apologies to Poe]. In an apparent moment of weakness, I tried it again... :-(

• Level 5*

You don't need to uninstall the Evernote app.  You just need to figure out the email and password you used when you set it up on your phone.

Go the Evernote.com and click on the Forgot password? link on the sign in page.

You may have to try all of your email accounts until you find one that works.

I just tried it again. It shows errors for both the username and the password. I am positive that I used my gmail address. I have tried to change my gmail password multiple times today. I don't remember which one I used when I created an account on the phone! I DO know my current gmail password. But it doesn't work.

Do I have to uninstall both programs and start over?

Do I have to use my gmail address?

If so, do I have to use my gmail password [or can Evernote accept a different password]?

I am frustrated well past the 100% mark. I have spent far too much time futzing with this!!! I have been trying to get Evernote running for 3 days. The first day, I uninstalled it and said "Never more" {apologies to Poe]. In an apparent moment of weakness, I tried it again... :-(

The password to log into your Evernote account is not the same one as your Gmail password. Each application uses a different password. You may have used the same password for each, but that's not good practice. You can select "forgot password" option, which will email the password to the email address you used when you set up your Evernote account. I would also suggest you use a password manager and keep track of what password you used for what account.

2 JM and BNF...

I am 75 years old. I can't remember diddly. I log ALL my passwords to my iPad, because I turned off Wi-Fi and it can't be seen by anybody. I do not trust the commercial apps that allegedly store your passwords. Additionally, I have great difficulty using the little keyboards on phones. My fingers shake a bit and I often press a key twice and don't notice. In spite of this iPad process, I must have either failed to write down the correct username and password for Evernote. I was trying to use the same ones as on my Google account. All the Google thingies work, but that's because I created that account on my PC where I have a good keyboard. :-)

There appears no way to:

• Remember my Evernote account name and password
  • Write it down in my iPad the same way as I typed in on the little phone "keyboard" [i especially have difficulty putting in passwords! The characters don't
  • Find out what either of these were [if I try to recover my password, I put in my email address and I'm allowed to change the password. I have done that several times. Still rejects my attempts to use the Account that I created. I conclude that I typed in a slightly different user name than I logged on my iPad. This is why I think I must remove the APP on the phone and start over.]

I tried to set an option on the phone yesterday to "show passwords", but it doesn't. I checked the Settings > Security page and indeed that option was still checked. I also checked the box that said something like "speak passwords" but it seems to have evaporated! 

I moved the Evernote icon to the trashcan and then tried to reinstall it. I had to additionally "uninstall" it, as I guess the trashcan only removes it from the screen? When I launched the new Evernote, I saw that there was a "Show Password" button and I checked it. I didn't get any spoken passwords. It defaulted to my Google user name that I had used before. I checked it and it was correct! I then typed in my newest Google password. OK, I know you don't think I should ever use the same password, but my life style is different than yours. Besides, at the moment, using that password lets me proceed w/o changing anything on the iPad Note w/ my passwords.

I got a "Registration Error" when I tried to launch Evernote! It says that the email address is already in use!  It guesses that I may have already registered. Yep, I did. But I threw it in the trash and uninstalled it to boot! So do I have to use a DIFFERENT e-mail address w/ Evernote every time I register? I'm just about at the end of my rope!!!

• Level 5

So do I have to use a DIFFERENT e-mail address w/ Evernote every time I register? I'm just about at the end of my rope!!!

No you don't need to register more than once. All your devices can use the same account. A new software installation does not need a new account. All notes in your account are on a server and will be sychronized to all your devices using that account.

The problem now is that you know the e-mail address you have used for registration but not the password. This is the reason why you get the message that the e-mail is alreadly in use when you try to register again. But there is an easy way to get a new password:

• Go to evernote.com in your browser
  • Select "Sign in" not "Sign up now"
  • Now select "Forgot password?"
  • Enter the user name or e-mail address you used for registration
  • An e-mail should be sent to that address allowing you to set a new password for your account
  • Provide a new password
  • Log into your Evernote account on your devices using user name or e-mail address  and the new password.

. I log ALL my passwords to my iPad, because I turned off Wi-Fi and it can't be seen by anybody.

You will need internet connectivity to use Evernote on your iPad. You may be able to save some notes for a while, since EN keeps them in the cache. But eventually, the cache will be cleared and you will lose your notes, unless you have synced them up to Evernote's cloud servers.

Archived