Html in evernote notes

francey

• Level 5*

You can't add or edit the HTML code behind the Note using Evernote (there are 3rd party apps that will do this).

However, when you copy text from a web site (for example), and paste it into Evernote (either adding to a Note, or creating a new Note), you are in effect adding HTML content to Evernote.

There are other apps that generate documents based on HTML.  You can copy from these as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

You've likely moved on as this is an old thread, but this is still not available in Evernote as far as I can tell. But what you can do:

1. Write the HTML and save it as an .html file.
  2. Open the .html file in a browser.
  3. Copy what you see in the browser to your clipboard (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C).
  4. Paste the contents of your clipboard (Ctrl+V) to the Evernote note.
  • 10 months later...

Unfortunately I find Jane Does approach a little inconsistent. Sometimes it doesn't copy embedded pictures etc. html is one of the three text based formats (the others are txt and rtf) that Evernote renders as the body of the note if you simply drop the file into Evernote (or use the import folder in the windows desktop version). Unfortunately, again, this doesn't always include embedded content like pictures.

The most reliable approach I have found (for stand alone html files with the content embedded) is to copy the html file to Dropbox. View the file on the Dropbox website interface (open in a new tab to avoid all the dropbox clutter) and then to use the EN webclipper from there. Unfortunately the webclipper doesn't work on local files

• 5 months later...
On 07/01/2017 at 11:08 AM, Mike P said:

Unfortunately I find Jane Does approach a little inconsistent. Sometimes it doesn't copy embedded pictures etc. html is one of the three text based formats (the others are txt and rtf) that Evernote renders as the body of the note if you simply drop the file into Evernote (or use the import folder in the windows desktop version). Unfortunately, again, this doesn't always include embedded content like pictures.

I've been messing about with copy/paste of formatted text in and out of Evernote. HTML into Evernote, it's not just pictures; some formatting doesn't make it over either. A particular example is an html page that's been created using multimarkdown or Pandoc, pasted from a browser into Evernote doesn't paste the syntax highlighting colours - css all inline, no JS. The current best solution is to use textutil to convert from the HTML to RTF but it's a bit all over the place. I'd like to have some idea of exactly doesn't and doesn't paste correctly when pasting frome browsers to Evernote. Is there a list somewhere?

I'm trying to import some old Evernote notes that were exported back in 2009-2010 using the html exporter. Is there any way to do this at all? I'm confused as to why you can export in html but you can't go the other way?

Without being able to import html these 500+ notes are just stuck, but I also have another app I use that only exports to html and I would really like to find a way that isn't cumbersome to be able to get these notes into EN. I would think EN would want you to be able to import as many things as you want. Thanks for any suggestions. 

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Scott Fillmer said:

I'm trying to import some old Evernote notes that were exported back in 2009-2010 using the html exporter.

On my Mac, for simple notes, I can drag the html files into my import folder or onto the Evernote icon

This won't work with complex notes, for example with attachments
edited: Dragging the notes and dropping on an Evernote Notebook preserved the attachments

• Level 5*

Windows.  You can just drag HTML files into EN.  Not sure about what's changed since the 2009/10 export process, but today if you drag the HTML file into a notebook any attachments in the "file folder" are brought along as well, if there are attachments.  Try it with a few files to start and then do more at a time if you like.

• 2 months later...
On 18/06/2017 at 3:10 PM, DTLow said:

Evernote's format is ENML, based on HTML
More documentation at https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php

Late reply. Sorry.

The way I see it, I shouldn't have to worry about what will and what won't. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that it just works. The inconsistency in the way content is pasted into Evernote is off the chart. It's doubly frustrating when it's so hard to fix because Evernote's formatting tools are so kludgy. If it was even productive to author in another app then paste into Evernote that would be something but it's not because you never know what you're going to get. It's a mess.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, kimaldis said:

If it was even productive to author in another app then paste into Evernote that would be something

You certainly can use dedicated editor apps, for example MS Word, then attach the documents to a note

Archived