Feature Request: Remove note formatting

Evernote copies formatting of web pages and word docs when pasting data into Evernote. This is almost never what I (and likely others) want. Most of the time, I just want the notes to be in more of an ASCII format like a text document. When the font sizes, colors, styles, etc... are all copied into notes, it usually makes the note difficult to read overall.

Unformatting notes is awkward and difficult.

I would really like to see one or more of the following features:

* Unformat button in the evernote wysiwyg editor - this would simply remove all styles associated with the selected text, leaving it in the default text format.

* Note format property added to notes - much as you now have the ink -vs- text option, maybe you could add options for plain text, html, rdf, etc... along with the ability to select default format in the user preferences.

* A simpler alternative to the last suggestion would be a 'remove all formatting' checkbox for a note. if selected, the entire note would become plain text and all copied formatting would be ignored.

• 1 month later...

My bigger problem with formatted texts is that on the iPhone app only non-formatted notes can be edited.

The web interface has a remove formatting button in the toolbar of edit note. But nor the Desktop aplication (MAC) nor the iPhone app does have it. It would be good to have an option to be able to remove the formatting after the note has been made. I usually never paste anything to a new note but use the Clip to Evernote link in the browser or the browser tool in the toolbar.

So please add a Remove formatting button or option to the desktop and the iPhone app.

My bigger problem with formatted texts is that on the iPhone app only non-formatted notes can be edited.

The web interface has a remove formatting button in the toolbar of edit note. But nor the Desktop aplication (MAC) nor the iPhone app does have it. It would be good to have an option to be able to remove the formatting after the note has been made. I usually never paste anything to a new note but use the Clip to Evernote link in the browser or the browser tool in the toolbar.

So please add a Remove formatting button or option to the desktop and the iPhone app.

• 5 months later...
Have you tried paste special and choosing plain text?

OK, I wasn't aware of that option and it's a nice one.

However, when using the Evernote add-ons for stuff like firefox or thunderbird, there's no way to paste without all the formatting, which I almost never want to include.

I think a simple button which turns all contents of a note to plain text would still be wonderful. I can't imagine I'm the only one that would find this useful.

• Level 5

hlslaughter said:

I think a simple button which turns all contents of a note to plain text would still be wonderful. I can't imagine I'm the only one that would find this useful.

Check out Readability. There is one button to click, then capture the info with the Evernote Clipper icon. It's free. I've been using it for over a year and it works great.

http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/

• 2 months later...

me too, use readability all the time. wish i could proxy all web content through it automatically :)

but it's just a workaround to what should be a simple issue.

i'd simply like to be able to remove all formatting (remove html tags or other "styles" and set text to default values).

sometimes it's great to keep formatting, but often, particularly with web pages, it makes for very ugly notes.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I am aware as the paste as text feature, however I have some old notes that I want to modify the look feel of.  It would be of HUGE benefit to have a remove formatting option like what is available in Microsoft Outlook so that all special html markup is removed.  Its a bit of a pain in the butt right now to have to copy old content to notepad and then paste it back just to remove the formatting.

I hope you can add this in future as would be a big benefit to many users.

Archived