How to Turn Off Work Chat?

Make sharing outside of Evernote as easy as sharing within the platform again. It was one of the main reasons I've started using Evernote: ease of use and openess. User-centric instead of marketing centric.

• 3 weeks later...

EN You are obviously not listening to your user base, I came here to find out how to turn off the annoying pop up that keeps occurring every time I upgrade your software, I use EN for personal use only, I don't know anyone who uses EN so why the F**k would I want CHAT - give us the option of turning it off completely otherwise you will lose more users - people vote with their feet.

I've had enough too. The final straw was that pop up boxes kept appearing badgering me to use work chat. I have unsubscribed from premium and uninstalled from some of my tablets. Now using OneNote again, which has improved a lot and has versions on all platforms.

Sorry for your frustrations with the pop ups.  The intent was never to badger our users into using a feature that is not useful to them.  The intent was more for feature discovery for users new to Work Chat.  Once you've seen the popups, you should never see these pop ups again on upgrade unless you are uninstalling and reinstalling our software constantly.

We will look at better ways to present this information and ways to try to suppress their display across installations if you've seen them before already.

Sorry for your frustrations with the pop ups.  The intent was never to badger our users into using a feature that is not useful to them.  The intent was more for feature discovery for users new to Work Chat.  Once you've seen the popups, you should never see these pop ups again on upgrade unless you are uninstalling and reinstalling our software constantly.

We will look at better ways to present this information and ways to try to suppress their display across installations if you've seen them before already.

The last update uninstalled the program before installing the upgrade, so that's why it re-appeared - Win 7

• 2 months later...

OK, 5 months or so since I checked in on this topic and still no progress or useful feedback. If Evernote is not going to listen and do something about work chat, how about a simple solution. On each platform, have equal and easy to find buttons: one to chat the note and one to email the note. Chat is useless to me. Email is not. There are many of us in the same boat. What is the advantage to burying and misnaming the email note button? Who and how does that help?

• 4 weeks later...

So, I finally, finally discovered that we can remove Work Chat on the Mac client in View > Sidebar Options. (Because, naturally, allowing it to be removed via contextual menu—like every other section in the sidebar—would have made removing it too convenient for users.)

Anyway, Work Chat's finally gone! Awesome! Except…

A recent update (6.2 beta 1) has added a new item called "Upgrade Your Team" to the sidebar. So, there's now yet another UNWANTED, UNREMOVABLE item cluttering our sidebars. (Although control-clicking "Upgrade Your Team" does display a "Remove from Sidebar" command, selecting the command does absolutely NOTHING. So, it's unclear whether it's supposed to be removable or not.

Holy ****, Evernote! What part of "We don't want UNREMOVABLE items in our sidebars" don't you understand? You want to add new features? Fine! But why must they be forced upon us, whether we want them or not? Why must they be impossible to disable?

Honestly, you guys are becoming the Adobe of note-taking apps: Makers of capable products, but unwilling to fix long-standing bugs (see my other posts), while insisting upon intrusive, nagging features and remaining apathetic to users' feedback and needs. It would be understandable (though still regrettable) if users of your free service had fewer options for customization. But how long do you believe premium users will continue to pay to be consistently annoyed?

If this turns out to be simply an oversight in the beta build, then fine. But you have to understand that because you've routinely ignored our concerns in the past, we're now hypersensitive to these intrusions.

Let's see if you do the right thing, this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Add me to the list of people who do NOT want to be forced to use Work Chat for sharing.  I discovered this inconvenience when I tried simply emailing myself a note, it said you couldn't chat with yourself!    In order to actually email something to myself from the EN android app I have to select "more sharing" in the options menu...this makes it harder and more confusing because it's not under the usual Share option.  It's clear that EN is forcing people to use work chat when many don't.  I have been a Premium subscriber for a couple of years now but am seriously considering cancelling in December if the work chat functionality becomes more force-fed to me.  

Will never understand, why they can't make this simple change. On the same menu, at the same level, have a share button and an email button. This satisfies both camps. The way it is designed now, they are trying to force people to adapt to their software rather than adapt their software to the users. 

Yeah, you have to wonder why they're forcing work chat down people's throats, considering so many people like myself have stated, they don't use EN in a "work" environment, sharing with oodles of people like that.  I'm lucky if I share anything with my wife's EN account more than a handful times a year, and even then I HUNT for the email sharing button and seen the info I'm sharing using email...

Unlike the main EN storage base, which is hopfully heavily protected / encrypted, maybe it's easier for them to spy on all the EN chat chatter with the folks that do use it - must be some reason why they keep forcing it on folks like it's the best thing ever invented for a note taking application...

Meanwhile everyday I sit in a meeting WISHING I had a way to simutaneously take notes and record audio with the capability of adding bookmarks in the audio at the the locations I'd like to easily find again...

Having just recently upgraded to the Samsung Note 5, just yesterday I was in a meeting using EN and I figured I'd try the Note 5's audio recorder which does let you bookmark during recordings - there I was task switching back and forth between EN and the recorder - workable, but hella inconvenient, and of course the bookmarks were tens of seconds later than where I wanted to place them thanks to the switching between apps.

THAT's a feature I'd like to see for EN - an audio recording toolbar w/bookmarking while writing your notes as usual...

At this point I will NOT be renewing my premium account which is upcoming this month - this work chat thing, and hiding al the original ways of sharing so deep to the point of inconvienence, I don't feel they deserve being rewarded with a premium account renewal...

-Will

• 10 months later...
On 2015-01-08 at 1:49 PM, ScottLougheed said:

Popups should only ever appear once per install (if you reinstall the app, you'll be subject to a barrage of popups again). 

Aside from the icon in the toolbar, Work Chat shouldn't really even be in your way if you never need it. It doesn't consume additional resources and aside from the (usually) one-time popup, it shouldn't really be something you ever notice. 

Are you seeing Work Chat use up resources or prevent you from doing what you normally do? Perhaps I've missed something in my day-to-day use. 

Well it is. Really, really, really, really, really annoying.
It takes up a lot of unnecessary real estate on my iPhone app. And what more, I haven't asked for it and don't want it to show. Actually, I want to have a choice.

And seriously, would you ever think an app was great where you could not select NOT so see redundant information? Just curious.

It's in my way, all the time. Just like those annoying ads are. Oh yeah, like in apps I haven't paid for. Well, I have paid for Evernote!

This is just ridiculous, there is no way you can explain why this would make any sense (actually you've tried really hard so far, and in so just making us sure you're an Evernote company man. Or if not, you're not making any sense at all).

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, DigitalMercenary said:

It takes up a lot of unnecessary real estate on my iPhone app. And what more, I haven't asked for it and don't want it to show. Actually, I want to have a choice.

Are you referring to Work Chat on the home screen?  In case you were not aware you can disable this under Customize Home Screen.  Since I've done that I don't see Work Chat anywhere on the iOS app.

Archived