Eye-Fi is decommissioning Evernote support

TimSch

Hello!

Last week my workflow (Xerox Scanner with Eye-Fi Card -> Direct Upload to Evernote without PC) stopped working. I tested around and finally opened a ticket with the Eye-Fi support. They told me that eye-fi is about to decommission Evernote support and suggest buying a new card and their subscription service as a workaround.

From what I understand, this will affect all Doxy Go and Xerox workflows.

Does anyone have a good non-eye-fi way to directly upload to evernote from a scanner without the PC involved?

Cheers
Tim

FYI, here is what the support guy wrote to me:

George

Nov 04 11:40

Hello,

I am sorry to say but we are decommissioning the upload of photos to Evernote via Eyefi's online sharing service (OLS). We understand that this might be a problem for your workflow so we wanted to let you know that we do have a solution utilizing IFTTT and our newest Mobi card and cloud service.

With IFTTT you can easily create a note with an image attachment on Evernote whenever a photo is uploaded to the Eyefi Cloud. You can learn more at https://ifttt.com/ and view the recipe at https://ifttt.com/recipes/191423-eyefi-to-evernote-image-note. Utilizing IFTTT does require an Eyefi Mobi card and a subscription to Eyefi Cloud. If you do not already have a Mobi card, go to http://en.eyefi.com/buy-now and use code EVERNOTE at checkout for 20% off before November 30, 2014.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and hope that you will continue to use Eyefi in the future.

Sincerely,
George
Senior Support rep
Eyefi Customer Care

"Eyefi Customer Care" is the bit that made me laugh. "Eyefi Customer up yours" more like.

Bang goes the only reason I bought Eye Fi in the first place.

Thanks for posting this: it's a shame Eye Fi don't appear to have announced this end of their usefulness publicly.

fyi here's the latest reply from my support ticket.

Guess that's it :(

Tim

Nov 07 03:44

Hello,

well, that's bad news. When I bought my scanner, upload to Evernote was advertised as a key function...I'm not really planning on buying a new card plus a subscription service as a workaround.

So just to get this straight for me: All the 3rd party scanners using your cards (like Doxy Go or Xerox) won't be uploading data directly to Evernote anymore?

Regards
Tim

George

Nov 07 16:14

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately that is the case here. You don't need to use the Mobi system to do this still. You can still do a slight workaround by incorporating Drop Box into your workflow, with IFTTT and SmugMug.

Essentially you would need to use Dropbox on the computer as your destination folder, and then you can use IFTTT from there to post to SmugMug.

I apologize for the inconvenience of this.

Kind Regards,
Eyefi Customer Care

Same happened to me, quit working earlier this week, spent several hours trying to figure it out, got their email today. What a pain.

Automatic uploading to Dropbox was the only reason I bought the card... and that has never worked. Evernote was a good second choice... and that now doesn't work. What a waste of money.

This is going to kill my current workflow too. I have no idea what I'm going to do as someone else uses the set up to send me documents. I'm going to be watching this thread closely if anyone has any ideas.

I'd really like to know why EyeFi is killing Evernote support. Just a simple explanation (Evernote API version deprecated, need to pay etc) would be nicer than "Sorry but the feature you bought this product for is going away and you will need to use two additional services (Dropbox and IFFTT) to make it work again"

This is a real shame but I was able to work around by setting an Automator job on the Mac to automatically create a new note from any files that get uploaded to the Eye-Fi scan folder.  Not quite as flexible as the old workflow as it requires the Mac and Eye-fi to sync but doesn't require any work from me!!

This guide and youtube video have all the steps needed to setup an Automator script: http://www.documentsnap.com/evernote-mac-import-folder/

By the sounds of it this feature is already built into the windows client.

But the dropbox IFFTT workflow isn't the same at all. Right now with my computer off I can scan on the Doxie and it will show up on my Evernote on my phone. That's awesome

This way, it sounds to me, you have to have the computer pull down the folder, dropbox it, and the the rest happens.

That sucks. This weekend I'm going to try and experiment with a Picasa album and see if I can get that to work. I wish I was better at IFTTT.

• 2 weeks later...

Have managed to cobble something together by posting to a private Flickr photoset, and then using Zapier to push that to Evernote... but now my workflow is dependent on 2 additional unnecessary services (i.e. 2 additional potential points of failure). Still very annoyed.

Doxie are releasing a new inbuilt Wifi model... but there is no direct Evernote post... it still needs to go through Doxie software on your computer which is a total waste of time...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived