Is syncing only one way?

I have Evernote for Windows installed, and have for quite a while. I've just noticed that syncing only happens one way. If I make a change in Evernote for Windows, the change appears on the online version, however, if I make a change online, it doesn't sync back down to my PC - in fact, all changes made online are erased when I sync from my PC's install.

I'm using version 5.7.0.5492 (273492) Public.
  • Level 5*

Syncing always goes through the Evernote servers, and is, by design two-way. Check out your activity log (Help / Activity Log) so see if there's anything leading there. And consider opening a support request.

Beware that there are two versions of the web client, one of which is a beta/prerelease, and which has had reports of problems like this. You should revert to the old released version. See your account settings for that.

I have Evernote for Windows installed, and have for quite a while. I've just noticed that syncing only happens one way. If I make a change in Evernote for Windows, the change appears on the online version, however, if I make a change online, it doesn't sync back down to my PC - in fact, all changes made online are erased when I sync from my PC's install.

I have the sync set to 15 minutes on my notebooks (EN starts with the GUI) and have no idea how the mobile version works.

It sure does not seem to work the way I would expect any time I have used it. I don't use it much.

When I noticed the note had disappeared, I turned off sync on the notebook and checked the web, but it appeared that the note was gone there, too.

It's very simple. The EN servers (IE web client) are the "source of all truths." Any changes made on one device need to be sync'd up to the EN servers before those changes are accessible from the web client or any other device/computer. If you make any changes with the web client, you are changing the EN servers directly, so no sync (up) is involved. Any changes made to the EN servers need to be sync'd down to any other computer/device before they are accessible from that device/computer.

If you create/modify a note on a desktop/laptop & then shut down w/o it getting sync'd to the EN servers, that note will not show up on the web client or be sync'd down to any other devices/computers UNTIL, you then start up the desktop/laptop & have EN running long enough to do an auto sync or you force a sync. The best way around this is to manually sync the laptop/desktop if you're going to be using another computer/device before the next auto sync or are shutting that computer down/hibernating/etc.

I don't know about all mobile clients, but AFAIK, the iPhone client only syncs when you first start the program or make a change/add a note. (It tells you it's sync'ing.) So if you make a change on a desktop but it's not sync'd to the EN servers yet, then start the iPhone client, the desktop changes will not sync down to the iPhone. If you remain in the iPhone client while the desktop sync's the changes up, you would need to manually sync the iPhone client to get the changes down to the iPhone.

The problem arose when I had made changes to a note via the web client, and that change never synced down to my Windows client, even after a couple of weeks. However, when I just synced via the Windows client, the changes that had been made via the web client were overwritten by the Windows Client sync. No error messages, nothing that I can see in the Activity Log, all sync seem to complete. Unfortunately, I can't receive support from EN because I'm on a free account.

Hmmmm...

The problem arose when I had made changes to a note via the web client, and that change never synced down to my Windows client, even after a couple of weeks. However, when I just synced via the Windows client, the changes that had been made via the web client were overwritten by the Windows Client sync. No error messages, nothing that I can see in the Activity Log, all sync seem to complete. Unfortunately, I can't receive support from EN because I'm on a free account.

Hmmmm...

Please read (or re-read) my above post.  In a nutshell, if you make changes on the web client, you need to sync the changes DOWN to the Windows client before making any modifications on the Windows client.  If the changes are not sync'ing, then you need to resolve the sync problem.  Otherwise, you end up in the situation you are in.  No 'hmmmm' about it.

• Level 5*

Evernote sync is between each device and the Evernote Cloud.

So, to be safe, be sure that you do a manual sync on each device when you are finished with an important Note, and at the end of each session on that device (before you hibernate/sleep or shutdown the device).

If you are doing all this, and still have problems, then I suggest you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

Unfortunately, filing a Support Ticket requires a Premium account. This forum is the only support option for those using the free version. Being that I seem to be the only one having this issue, since I cannot locate a similar post, it doesn't appear to be a 'bug', but something specific to my setup.

"be sure that you do a manual sync on each device when you are finished with an important Note"

And again, that is my problem - my Windows Client will not show changes made on the 'Cloud' with the Web Client, neither via an automatic sync, nor a manual one. However, changes made via my Windows Client sync up to the Cloud.

• Level 5*

Unfortunately, filing a Support Ticket requires a Premium account. This forum is the only support option for those using the free version. Being that I seem to be the only one having this issue, since I cannot locate a similar post, it doesn't appear to be a 'bug', but something specific to my setup.

"be sure that you do a manual sync on each device when you are finished with an important Note"

And again, that is my problem - my Windows Client will not show changes made on the 'Cloud' with the Web Client, neither via an automatic sync, nor a manual one. However, changes made via my Windows Client sync up to the Cloud.

You can certainly open a support ticket as a free user, but you may not get a response from a human. What you're seeing may well be a bug, and it's worth reporting for that reason. See this topic: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51807-best-practices-submitting-a-support-ticket/

For debugging Windows sync troubles, you should check your activity log on the Windows client (Help / Activity Log). It's modeless, so you can just bring it up and then do a sync operation, and you can watch the messages scroll by. You may be able to get a fix on what's going wrong, and that's something that you could include in your ticket.

From that page -

IMPORTANT FOR FREE USERS: Going forward, we are focusing on self-support for free users. In the future, this is what support free users should be able to expect: 

• Continually improving Community, guide, and self-help (knowledge base) resources
  • Support from our agents for login/account access issues
  • Support from our agents for payment issues
  • Ability to report bugs to our developers (although we will only reply if more information is needed to identify the bug)

So, even if I choose to report it as a bug, I still will not get support for it. They will only contact me if they need more info.

Also, when I attempt to start a ticket, all I get is a button to "Ask the Community", which I did, and found myself on this merry-go-round.

evenote.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think a copy probably still goes through to EN as a bug report.

But if your account isn't functioning properly, maybe you could try again and if possible select an option that reads something like "Account Problem," to see if they'll help.

I could be wrong, but I think a copy probably still goes through to EN as a bug report.

But if your account isn't functioning properly, maybe you could try again and if possible select an option that reads something like "Account Problem," to see if they'll help.

Done - we'll see.

• Level 5*

Also, when I attempt to start a ticket, all I get is a button to "Ask the Community", which I did, and found myself on this merry-go-round.

As I said above, you can submit a ticket even if you are a Free account owner, for bugs, crashes, & account issues.  You just have to select the correct option.

In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost"

Sebrame did to that the first time, but since it appears to be an account not functioning properly, not just a bug - and free users, of which I assume Sebrame is one, get no response for bug reports - then according to how it's currently phrased in GBarry's pinned post "Best Practices foe Submitting a Support Ticket," they should still be eligible for Support Assistance.

Sebrame, why don't you also post your Support Ticket # here in case it's needed later?

As I said above, you can submit a ticket even if you are a Free account owner, for bugs, crashes, & account issues. You just have to select the correct option.

In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost"

As I said above, you can submit a ticket even if you are a Free account owner, for bugs, crashes, & account issues.  You just have to select the correct option.

In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost"

And as I said above - "Done - we'll see."

Gladly.

Ticket# 807399

"they should still be eligible for Support Assistance"

​Well, that would be the normal paradigm, but I do understand that Evernote isn't in business to provide free software nor free support - they are in business to make money. Offering a free version is done because that generally leads to the purchase of a 'premium version' - especially if you've been using the free version long enough for it to become more of a necessity than a mere convenience. This is also especially true if at some point you suddenly need support for your free version, and such support is only provided to those paying for the 'premium version'. This is a time honored marketing technique, and only becomes a nefarious one if the 'problem' needing support is built in to the free version to facilitate this. Not saying that this is the case with Evernote, especially seeing that I seem to be the only one with this issue - or at least the only one reporting it.

Archived