I don't understand document scanner

I just began using Evernote and I love it.. However I don't understand how document scanner works. I select it from camera modes and frame it properly so nothing but the document is visible. Then I check the pic and I see it is perfect. You can see edges of table or anything else. I click add it to note, but then it just sits there as an image.. What is the point of that? I might have just added a normal photo.. I can't interact with it I can't do anything to it.. It's just an image and even when I click on it it says image on top.. I took a pic of a document this morning around 8 am now it's 5 pm and it is still sitting there as an image...

Can anyone help me understand how this works.

Thanks

• Level 5*

If you have a perfect picture of your document in Evernote,  that's pretty much what Document Scanner is all about - it pre-sets your camera to get a good quality picture so Evernote's OCR service can get to it - some hours later.  The time taken depends on how busy the OCR service is.  Doc scanner will also crop your document down so only the edges are visible (you don't have to be totally careful about omitting the background).

Was there something else you were expecting?

• Level 5*

I just began using Evernote and I love it.. However I don't understand how document scanner works. I select it from camera modes and frame it properly so nothing but the document is visible. Then I check the pic and I see it is perfect. You can see edges of table or anything else. I click add it to note, but then it just sits there as an image.. What is the point of that? I might have just added a normal photo.. I can't interact with it I can't do anything to it.. It's just an image and even when I click on it it says image on top.. I took a pic of a document this morning around 8 am now it's 5 pm and it is still sitting there as an image...

Can anyone help me understand how this works.

Thanks

Looks like Evernote iPhone Document Scanner produces only images, which, if you are a Premium account owner, it will OCR.

You might be more satisfied using a 3rd party iPhone scanner like GeniusScan+, and then share/send to Evernote.  I've  used it for several years now an really like it.  You can scan to image or PDF.  However it does NOT do OCR.

If you want one iPhone app to scan and ocr, then take a look at Scanner with OCR.

I have not used it, but it looks pretty good.

For other choices, just google "iphone scanner ocr"

Finally, let me say that the best results are obtained doing the scanning with your PC or Mac.  Most scanners these days include OCR.  If not there are many PDF apps that will do the OCR.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived