Better Evernote Functionality for School Work

jmiller17

Hi,

I am big into taking digital notes. I have traditionally used Microsoft Onenote along with Dropbox to annotate and sync all my school notes. I am wanting to make the move to Evernote for Windows due to frustration over various technical bugs, but I am finding that it lacks what I need it to do. I am in a professional post-grad program and currently I download all the the different class notes and import them to Onenote. These notes are either Word, powerpoint, or PDF format. Onenote automatically converts the file into a pdf format and places the whole file in view on the note (not a link). From that point I am able to draw over them to annotate, highlight sections, or add text. 

I would like to be able to do this with Evernote/Skitch. Is there a way to easily be able to import different files, have their contents display in evernote (without converting to a picture format), then be able to annotate over / on them and save back to evernote???

I would also like to be able to add audio notes that correlate to different sections of my notes. For example a professor might be going into a lot of detail over a powerpoint slide and I would just like to have audio that links to that slide.

Please help

Evernote would be a great way to store the PDFs, but it's probably not what you're looking for in regards to annotation and recording audio. Have you tried Notability? It may be what you're looking for. Once you annotate and record audio to your Notability note, you could then send that file to your Evernote account and have all the storage and search features Evernote offers. You might also look into Livescribe. It's a great paper/digital combination.

I use both for note-taking, and in the end, it's all saved to Evernote.

Jordan

Evernote would be a great way to store the PDFs, but it's probably not what you're looking for in regards to annotation and recording audio. Have you tried Notability? It may be what you're looking for. Once you annotate and record audio to your Notability note, you could then send that file to your Evernote account and have all the storage and search features Evernote offers. You might also look into Livescribe. It's a great paper/digital combination.

I use both for note-taking, and in the end, it's all saved to Evernote.

Jordan

Jordan, Thank you for the response. I use a ASUS laptop with OneNote 2010 and a Wacum Bamboo Connect writing tablet on Windows 8.1. Unfortunatly, Notability does not work on Windows. That is why I was hoping to find these features in Evernote

It is possible that a live scribe pen might work for you. It records while you take notes with it and then uploads your handwritten notes. In its software if you click on a section of notes it will take you to the portion of the audio where you recorded those notes. It offers sharing with Evernote. 

If Skitch does not offer enough annotation for your taste, you might also consider using an android device along with your computer to annotate. Or maybe it would be better to buy the full version of Adobe Reader or a knock off like Foxit. 

Archived