You can't open the application Evernote because it may be damaged or incomplete.

Same thing happened to me, with the same Mac OS. Trashing and redownloading worked, thanks!

On a side note, I've had a lot of problems with the last three updates or so, with Evernote freezing up when I tried to change a note's Notebook designation. Evernote has otherwise been pretty great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This happens to me every two weeks on my Mac OS 10.8.5 work laptop (not on my work or home Mac desktop computers or phone). I follow the directions to delete it, download the latest version, it works great for about two weeks, and then I get the dreaded: 

"You can't open the application "Evernote" because it may be damaged or incomplete."

Any suggestions regarding why this would happen repeatedly? And just on one laptop?

• 1 month later...

Sometimes downloads don't work perfectly so JMichael is right...re-downloading again works most of the times when you see this error.

Correct that this seems to work.  Wrong of you to say it was the download that was corrupt.  It happened to me several times in the past with upgrades.  And mentioned in social media and searches far, far too often for that many people to have download issues.

@TroutSlayer:  An "update" *is* a "download", so SoftwareMarcus is correct.  

An update is not necessarily a download and a downoad is not necessarily an update.  I've been in software for a long time and my point was that however you deliver the software to my laptop, something is broken when this repeatedly happens with software version updates to Evernote.  I am growing tired of having to uninstall and reinstall from a 'download'.

• Level 5*

An update is not necessarily a download and a downoad is not necessarily an update.  I've been in software for a long time and my point was that however you deliver the software to my laptop, something is broken when this repeatedly happens with software version updates to Evernote.  I am growing tired of having to uninstall and reinstall from a 'download'.

Well, I don't know what part of software you have been in, but an Evernote "update" DOES download the new version to your machine, and then installs it.

Having said that, I very much agree with you that Evernote updates far too many times fail, requiring the user to remove and reinstall the app and/or the data.  I've really never seen another app that has this type of on-going update/install issues.

Well, I don't know what part of software you have been in, but an Evernote "update" DOES download the new version to your machine, and then installs it.

Having said that, I very much agree with you that Evernote updates far too many times fail, requiring the user to remove and reinstall the app and/or the data.  I've really never seen another app that has this type of on-going update/install issues.

Oracle, Salesforce.com, to name a few companies where I've worked.  How do you get this update you speak of without the internet?  I know how Evernote is delivered, but not all software is sent over the internet via download.  Some actually can be delivered via tape, image, FTP, CD, etc.  I am guessing you are young, but prior to the internet people actually used these things called floppies.  The proprietary software is what is being downloaded and it is the proprietary software that is the update, download is the mechanism.  I know it's semantics, and to the last point, looks like we agree.  I think Evernote needs to get its act together or fade away as many others have if they don't do it better, faster, cheaper.  Lots of others have this now, just not as good.  How long until they surpass?

We also see the issue in our crash logs and have been trying to fix for the past 4 months with no luck.  This will only occur on updating from one version to the next and it's associated with the updating code we use from a 3rd party.  It looks like some of the application files get corrupted on download and so when someone tries to launch the app it won't work.    It appears to happen to specific people more often than others and we're not really sure why that's the case either.  It could be their computer environment or possibly network connection.  In any case, we have another idea that we're going to try in an upcoming release. The vast majority of people don't run into this.  

If anyone who is running into this issue has any ideas about unique things in their computing environment that they can share with this group then possibly some of these clues might help us track down the root cause.  

• Level 5*

@TroutSlayer:  Don't be so quick to judge.  

In the context that SoftwareMarcus was using "update" it DOES require a download.

There is no other way of obtaining Evernote from the manufacturer other than by download.

I don't see any point to you saying he was wrong, when he was not.

Are you still getting updates via tape?  LOL

I think we have beat this horse to death, huh?   ;) 

• 5 months later...

I just found this thread because I Googled "evernote damaged." I, too, am tired of having Evernote update and suddenly no longer work on my MacBook Pro. I have an older computer, circa mid-2009, running OS X 10.9.5. 

This problem with Evernote has been happening to me for the past year. I mainly use my computer for work, and I often don't have time to trash/re-download/re-install, so I end up reverting to the Evernote on my phone much of the time. I also discovered that if I go in my Trash and dig out the last version, I can open it up and it will work without any problems. 

I'm not sure what else would be unique about my computing environment that could help you diagnose the problem, but I appreciate that you are working to fix it. 

• 1 month later...

+1, I'm having the same problem here. Running a Macbook Pro with Yosemite.

I am not the admin on my machine, so the application is installed to my user folder's 'Applications' folder instead of in the main 'Applications' folder or via the Mac App Store.

Archived