Outlook 365 for Mac - plug in availability

gbassett

• Level 5*

Unfortunately, this does not look like a direct upgrade from Outlook 2011 Mac.  It is part of the Office 365 suite.

The same article references an Outlook Mac update slated for fall of 2015.

If anyone running Outlook Mac 2011 updates/changes to this new Outlook 365 Mac, I'd love to hear more about your experience.

I just installed the new Outlook for Mac yesterday and I'm glad I did. The old 2011 version was really bloated and clunky on my machine. The new one feels slick, clean, and fast by comparison.

But in fairness, I only loaded one email account into it instead of the 2 or 3 that I had on the previous version. And that one account isn't as "mature" with hundreds of old archived messages (even with IMAP this slows things down). Plus I just upgraded to OS X Yosemite.

Regardless though, I'm running an old pre-unibody Macbook Pro and the new Outlook is one of the faster apps working on my mac now. I'm pretty shocked to say that since previously Outlook on Mac was my most-hated app. So I say go for it! If you don't like it, spin back to a previous Time Machine backup.

• Level 5*

I just installed the new Outlook for Mac yesterday and I'm glad I did. The old 2011 version was really bloated and clunky on my machine. The new one feels slick, clean, and fast by comparison.

Steve, this is good to hear.

Can you comment on any changes you've seen?

Any missing features that were in Outlook 2011?

Any new features?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested as well to hear if there is integration planned or a work around (other than forwarding emails to EN) for integrating Outlook for Mac Office 365 with Evernote, similar to the plugin that exists for Outlook on Windows.  Thanks.

• Level 5*

While we never know for sure what Evernote will do, they have gone for years now without providing an Evernote plugin for Outlook Mac.  With their new focus on "bending the universe" with such tools as Work Chat and Evernote Context, I would be surprised to see and Outlook Mac plugin any time soon.

Having said that, there is a pretty good (maybe better) solution to copying Outlook Mac items to Evernote.

See Veritrope Applescript for Outlook Mac to Evernote  

JMichael thank you for the response.  I've used the Veritrope solution with success in the past (it worked good) with Outlook for Mac 2011, but it broke with one of the updates to EN, Outlook or something else.  I'm wondering if it works with Outlook for Mac Office 365.  Has anyone used it successfully on Outlook for Mac Office 365?

• Level 5*

JMichael thank you for the response.  I've used the Veritrope solution with success in the past (it worked good) with Outlook for Mac 2011, but it broke with one of the updates to EN, Outlook or something else.  I'm wondering if it works with Outlook for Mac Office 365.  Has anyone used it successfully on Outlook for Mac Office 365?

Sorry to hear that.  I do know that some AppleScript commands were broken (not supported) with the update to EN Mac 5.6 & 5.7.  Perhaps that is the cause, but I don't know.

I'm still running EN Mac 5.5.2 on Mavericks and Office Mac 2011 until all the dust settles.  ;)

Your best bet is to post a comment on the Veritrope web site in the Outlook to Evernote thread.  The owner/author is usually quick to respond.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Any progress on this? I would greatly appreciate some input about the plugin for new Outlook for Mac. The script is for Outlook 2011 and for my clients it would be easier to have same icon in outlook as on the PC platform. 

• 5 months later...

I recently upgraded to Office 365 and have a MacBook Air.  My subscription allowed me to download MS Office 2016 for Mac.  I am an avid user of Evernote and NO Mac Outlook plug-in was available or at least I could find.  What I did find was an plug-in for Outlook 365 on-line . . . so I went ahead and installed.  When I opened my Outlook on my Mac v15.13.1 I found it had automatically impeded an Evernote plug-in.  It looks different than the Windows Outlook plug-in.  You'll find it in each e-mail --> each e-mail you open will give you the option of cutting and pasting directly into Evernote.  SWEET!!!  Hope this helps people.

• Level 5*

I recently upgraded to Office 365 and have a MacBook Air.  

. . .

When I opened my Outlook on my Mac v15.13.1 I found it had automatically impeded an Evernote plug-in.  

Thanks for sharing.  That sounds awesome!

I just signed up for a trial of Office 365 Business last night, and will be installing it today.

I recently upgraded to Office 365 and have a MacBook Air.  My subscription allowed me to download MS Office 2016 for Mac.  I am an avid user of Evernote and NO Mac Outlook plug-in was available or at least I could find.  What I did find was an plug-in for Outlook 365 on-line . . . so I went ahead and installed.  When I opened my Outlook on my Mac v15.13.1 I found it had automatically impeded an Evernote plug-in.  It looks different than the Windows Outlook plug-in.  You'll find it in each e-mail --> each e-mail you open will give you the option of cutting and pasting directly into Evernote.  SWEET!!!  Hope this helps people.

Thank you for pointing this out!  I had to go to the OWA page, add the add on, then go to an OWA session, open the Evernote add-in from a message, login to Evernote and provide my password.  Only then was I able to get the Evernote plug-in to appear on my Mac Outlook client!

Thank you for all the insights on how to add the plugin for Outlook 365 for Mac, however, I've run into a glitch. I downloaded the plugin as recommended and it works perfectly with the online version of Outlook 365 for Mac but not on the version of Outlook 2016 for Mac installed on my Macbook Pro. On the installed version, the Evernote box opens very similar to the online version, however, when I hit "Save" it synchronizes to Evernote but only copies over the subject line and doesn't include any of the email text. I'm bummed because I prefer to use the installed version of Outlook.

Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Yes, you are correct.  EN online works perfect i.e. it copies your entire e-mail directly into EN.  EN w/n the Outlook 2016 for MAC client only copies over the Subject Line.  This is an EN issue they need to fix. I realized this after I made the original post.  EverNote -- HELP!!

I have installed Evernote addin app via my Business Office 365 account on web.
It shows up in Outlook messages and ONLY captures the subject headline of the email - there is NO CONTENT captured from Outlook for Mac to Evernote.

Any update pls?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Since the last two weeks aprox the Outlook addin for Mac (Office365) dosn´t work as before. It creates notes in the correct folder but do not assign the tags as it should be. No tags are transferred to the evernote note from Outlook.
I tried using existing tags but the note is created in evernote without any tag. The note is created with the attachments and everything but not tags at all.
anyone having the same issues? any idea?

Archived