selection popup

itgold

Idea

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Ah.  That annoying pop-up.  Seems like it's part of the furniture now - you can't highlight text unless you want to change its attributes in some way.  Or you could translate back to the old version (in Settings) where that doesn't happen...

• Level 5

This one. I've attached a screenshot.

Thank you.

I personally prefer the way the productive Web interface works. A toolbar appears above the note when you start editong and you are able to change settings like bold text before you start writing. However, I wouldn't mind if the popup appeared when selecting text as well. In that way you wouldn't need to move the mouse cursor to the top of the note.

• Level 5

You can use shortcut keys to set some of the common modes: Ctrl+B (Boldface), Ctrl+I (Italics), Ctrl+U (Underline), are the ones that I know of.

Yes that works but there is no visual feedback whether I am e.g. in boldface mode or not. In the productive version I see the actual mode in the toolbar (blue or black 'B').

I have serious problem with this popup. It is VERY distracting and annoying. I used to use text selection very often. I can make text selection with shift+arrow keys (shift+ctrl+arrow for bigger selections, shift+end for single line and so on). It is a very fast way to make selection. Then I can quickly cut selection and paste it somewhere else (ctrl+x and ctrl+v) or I can make some changes in appearance (ctrl+b or ctrl+i for example). I DON'T need popup toolbar for it. In fact I can made my changes even earlier than the toolbar will completes its appearnce animation. Constant flashing (it can be several times in 10 seconds when I organize my thoughts and notes) of useless toolbar is very annoying.

I ask for option to disable that toolbar auto-popup. I saw some other users also have problem with it (they describe it in Web BETA Feature Requests thread).

Hello,

does anybody know how to get rid of the annoying popup window that comes up when I select some text?

Seen it in a new web version of evernote.

Thank you/

I have serious problem with this popup. It is VERY distracting and annoying. I used to use text selection very often. I can make text selection with shift+arrow keys (shift+ctrl+arrow for bigger selections, shift+end for single line and so on). It is a very fast way to make selection. Then I can quickly cut selection and paste it somewhere else (ctrl+x and ctrl+v) or I can make some changes in appearance (ctrl+b or ctrl+i for example). I DON'T need popup toolbar for it. In fact I can made my changes even earlier than the toolbar will completes its appearnce animation. Constant flashing (it can be several time in 10 seconds when I organize my thoughts and notes) of useless toolbar is very annoying.

I ask for option to disable that toolbar auto-popup. I saw some other users also have problem with it (they describe it in Web BETA Feature Requests thread).

Hello!

Thank you for the feedback. Are there other scenarios outside of copy and paste where you feel the editing toolbar is distracting / in the way?  We'd love to better understand any other scenarios when you need to highlight but not edit. This will help us better when we reevaluate this feature. 

Thanks in advance, 

Nancy 

Hello Nancy,

sometimes people just clicking around, selecting something without real intend to do something, you know. There is even some analytic tools that use this human behavior to track what people do on a website. This is the case where it gets pretty annoying.

second - it hides out an information around the context I've selected. I want to see what was on the previous line and what is on the next line of the thing, I'm selecting, but this popup comes up and hides what really matters. 

Thank you

Are there other scenarios outside of copy and paste where you feel the editing toolbar is distracting / in the way?  We'd love to better understand any other scenarios when you need to highlight but not edit.

Actually, I use keyboard selection for all kind of things you can do with toolbar (if there is keyboard shortcut for it). I heavily rely on keyboard shortcuts. The single reason because user selects something is to apply some sort of "changes" to selected part of text. You can do it through popup toolbar. Or you can do it through hot keys. When user prefer "mouse way" floating toolbar becomes convinient. When user prefer "keyboard way" floating toolbar becomes curse. I use Evernote Web only a couple of weeks, so I don't know a lot of hot keys. I has opened "help" section to find if there is a lot of shortcuts, but can't find appropriate article. But I want to use as much shortcuts as possible. At least I use ctrl+b, ctrl+i, ctrl+u very often. And I hope Evernote team will implement more shortcuts (if it isn't already).

I understand a lot of users prefer "mouse way" because it is "easier". But I think (I hope) there are enough users who prefer "keyboard way" because it is much (!) faster. As I said before I can apply most of changes even before toolbar will fully appear.

Actually, I use keyboard selection for all kind of things you can do with toolbar (if there is keyboard shortcut for it). I heavily rely on keyboard shortcuts. The single reason because user selects something is to apply some sort of "changes" to selected part of text. You can do it through popup toolbar. Or you can do it through hot keys. When user prefer "mouse way" floating toolbar becomes convinient. When user prefer "keyboard way" floating toolbar becomes curse. I use Evernote Web only a couple of weeks, so I don't know a lot of hot keys. I has opened "help" section to find if there is a lot of shortcuts, but can't find appropriate article. But I want to use as much shortcuts as possible. At least I use ctrl+b, ctrl+i, ctrl+u very often. And I hope Evernote team will implement more shortcuts (if it isn't already).

I understand a lot of users prefer "mouse way" because it is "easier". But I think (I hope) there are enough users who prefer "keyboard way" because it is much (!) faster. As I said before I can apply most of changes even before toolbar will fully appear.

Thank you for the feedback on the need for keyboard shortcuts. 

Archived