Direct Download -> App Store switch

DashingDave

Idea

For the purpose of easier updates and for combining as many of my applications into the App Store fold, where I find it's easier to maintain the current versions, I'd like to switch back to the App Store "version." I apparently already downloaded the App Store one back in 2012, but I must be currently using the D.D. version, as the App Store shows INSTALL rather than UPDATE there.

I'm currently running v.5.6.2 of EN, and the current version is 5.5.1 on the App Store (it hasn't been updated there since April??). What are the dangers, if any, of downgrading back to an earlier version? Should I wait until the App Store has caught up to the D.D. version number and forego the D.D. updates (just got the update-to-5.7.0 popup yesterday)?

2 replies to this idea

What are the dangers, if any, of downgrading back to an earlier version? Should I wait until the App Store has caught up to the D.D. version number and forego the D.D. updates (just got the update-to-5.7.0 popup yesterday)?

It might be OK since the downloaded version saves your data in a different folder than the App Store version but I think it would be better to wait.  5.6 and 5.5 are very different products.  We're working on the App Store update for 5.7.x so it won't be too much longer.  

Okay, thanks!

When I do cross-over to the App Store one, is there a proper/safe procedure for deleting the Direct Download one and then installing from the App Store? I've seen numerous posts and articles online about doing the reverse, but none transitioning from DD to AS (at least, not one posted in the last 4 years).

Archived