Old email sharing was moved

EN 5.7 does not allow you to send a note by mail, period. You can send a link, which the recipient can open only after signing up to Evernote. In other words, it is nearly impossible to share a note directly by mail with people who do not use Evernote. Seriously? You guys think this is a good idea? If there were an Oscar for user-hostile behaviour, you guys would win it, hands down.

Actually you can.  My mistake. Sorry about this.  You can still send notes by mail, but only from the Menu bar Note > more sharing options; but not from the Share menu on the note itself.

Again sorry for the false alarm.  

Moderators please delete this post.

No problem.  It makes sense that you would get alarmed that the feature was taken away.  Let me give everyone some background.

1. The Email Note feature is under the menu Note -> More Sharing
  2. The reason we did this is we think Work Chat is going to be a better way to share notes.
    • Click on the Share button to bring up the Work Chat window.  Here you can send the note to anyone you want and the note will be attached to the chat.  The person you sent the note to will get an email letting them know that you sent them the note.  They do NOT have to be an Evernote user to get this email.
    • Once they become an Evernote user they will be able to see your note and will be able to see any changes you've made even after you've sent the note.   They will also be able to see your note exactly as you wrote it since it's not converted to an email.
    • And because they are using Evernote, you can also give them rights to edit the note so you can collaborate.  If you don't want them to edit the note you can also make it view only.

Anyway, it would be great to hear a discussion about when it makes sense to share a note using Email Note and when it makes sense to share via Work Chat.

• Level 5*

They don't have to be an Evernote user to get the work chat, but they do in order to be able to see the note?

So, I have to know their Evernote email address?

I really can't see how this is going to be useful for anyone apart from the relatively small population of Evernote business users.

Work chat is available to free, premium and business users.  You can send it to any email address.  It doesn't have to be tied to Evernote.  If they happen to be an Evernote user, we'll deal with the complexity of joining email addresses and account management stuff.  All you have to know is you can send a note to any email address just like using Email Note and it will work.

• Level 5*

But they can't actually see the note till they sign up for Evernote?

How do you deal with joining up accounts and emails? If someone sends a work chat to my business email address that Evernote has no knowledge of, how are you going to put 2 and 2 together?

• Level 5*

Let me give everyone some background.

2. The reason we did this is we think Work Chat is going to be a better way to share notes.

Anyway, it would be great to hear a discussion about when it makes sense to share a note using Email Note and when it makes sense to share via Work Chat.

Markus, I don't think you guys have thought this through properly:

1. ALL sharing options should be grouped together, regardless of expected frequency of use
  2. Semi-hiding an often used option is a bad idea, especially if it is just to promote a new feature
  3. There are many, many use cases where we need to EMAIL someone the contents of a Note but we don't need a real-time chat with them.  Maybe someone asks for info, and we just need to sent it to them.

Please restore the EMail option to the main Share menu.

Hey Marcus, 

1. I Have to agree with some of the earlier comments. I got annoyed that the chat option wasn't actually sending the note I wanted to share with a client. I don't want to explain to non Evernote users how to see the notes i'm sending them. It makes things complicated for them and that is bad for my business. 
  2. I don't want to be checking forums to find out where to find useful options. Also I don't like it when software (developers) is (are) telling me what features I should or shouldn't use. (I know i am a stubborn professional, but thats how professionals are) 

Furthermore, I really like working with Evernote. Keep up the good work.  

No problem.  It makes sense that you would get alarmed that the feature was taken away.  Let me give everyone some background.

2. The reason we did this is we think Work Chat is going to be a better way to share notes. (please let me do my own thinking)
  • Level 5*

The latest Windows Interface looks neater and cleaner, but I am not able to annotate images within a note, bypressing the annotate button, nothing happens. Please some one take a look. 

I have to agree just tried Annotate and Evernote crashed;  restarted and tried again - no action.

Sorry Marcus, but most people (myself included) immediately translate this as "The reason we did this is we think this is going to be a better way to force non-users to become users".  Which is maybe cynical on my part, but perhaps no more so than taking this decision was, on your part.

Still, it's your app and I'm not going to stop using it because of this wrinkle, regardless of how annoying it is.  I will simply say "please restore the ease of eMailing as it was before".

In the meantime, for anyone else annoyed by the hiding of this option in a nested menu, you can at least create a keyboard shortcut to achieve the same effect on your Mac (which is quicker than using the mouse anyway, even if the eMail option were where it should be)...

1. Open System Preferences > Keyboard
  2. Select the "Shortcuts" tab
  3. Select "App Shortcuts" in the left pane
  4. Click the "+" button to add a new shortcut
  5. In the popup window - select Evernote in the "Application" field
  6. In the "Menu Title" type "Email Note…"  - it is important that you type it exactly like that, case sensitive, and be aware that the "..." is NOT a simple "dot dot dot" - it's an ellipsis character which is achieved by typing Option and Semi-Colon together  (that is, the ⌥ and the ; keys)
  7. Select your desired keyboard combination to activate

You are good to go - this shortcut will now trigger the "Email Note..." option, only within Evernote.

Hope this helps.

Evernote is brilliant but you're too willing to accept changes to the UI in new versions.  

Yesterday it was not being able to print from the beta web version.  Fair enough it is a beta but obviously needs fixing right?  

Now the email which is clearly going to annoy people.  While I am one of Evernote's biggest ambassadors in my organisation, most people I work with don't use it. 

So, just confirm again - to use 'Work Chat' you are going to enforce someone not using the service to sign up?  

If so you need to put email sharing on an equal footing because that aint gonna happen!

This is really annoying.  I have a number of notes which I also wish to put on my wife's account but they are "info only" notes (instructions for equipment etc) so will not be edited.

Before it was easy - I could just email to her Evernote email address from Share - now it took me a long time to find where that option had gone.

I don't want to chat about the note - just place it in her account.

Put the option back into share.

I cannot believe that this has been done.. I have used Evernote for years now and recommend it to everyone. I find the email note button is one of the most used features as my company blocks the use of apps / websites such as Evernote due to data protection reasons. However If i need to forward meeting notes etc I have survived by using the email function.

Please please please add this back so it is easy to access - even as an option in the share drop down, not all hidden away in the menu system.

Thanks

• Level 5*

So now what I have to do is to copy the content from notes and past it into emails...

Do you think with this I will be able to convince my boss, mother and wife to sign up for Evernote? Well... no. 

You are making me lose my time. 

You can still email notes. You just need to do it a little differently now.

@SoftwareMarcus,

I agree with others that "Work chat" and "Email note" are fully different functions. I love Evernote, but I work with many people who don't use it, and it's not my place to evangelize to them. So in many cases I just want to share the contents of a note with them. I don't want to force them to sign up for Evernote. In my testing, "Work chat" forces you to sign up or sign in to even see the contents of the note.

I was also disappointed that "Email note" was taken off the main Share button, and think that it should be put back.

@serioustiger: I've been using a custom Application Shortcut for "Email note" since a few versions ago. It works, but I've found that sometimes the shortcut is not recognized. I haven't been able to identify a pattern - sometimes it works, and sometimes I have to select the menu entry with the mouse. Have you seen this as well?

--Diego

• Click on the Share button to bring up the Work Chat window.  Here you can send the note to anyone you want and the note will be attached to the chat.  The person you sent the note to will get an email letting them know that you sent them the note.  They do NOT have to be an Evernote user to get this email.
    • Once they become an Evernote user they will be able to see your note and will be able to see any changes you've made even after you've sent the note.   They will also be able to see your note exactly as you wrote it since it's not converted to an email.
    • And because they are using Evernote, you can also give them rights to edit the note so you can collaborate.  If you don't want them to edit the note you can also make it view only.

I am not sure that this way of forcing us to use word chat as the easiest way to share notes so we force others to have Evernote to be able to read a word chat is the best way to go. It is a marketing decision rather then a decision made to make our life easier.

Even when you receive a dropbox link you are given the choice of download the file (for non users) or put it in your dropbox folder if you are a user.

I am a premium user but I am actively looking into alternatives.

Chat is not a replacement for the old meal feature.  The email feature allowed me to work in evernote and share static content with others (typically people who are less tech savy) at controlled view only intervals.  This was fast and fit into everyone's workflow.  Chat makes them learn a new system.  Notebook collaboration previously served this niche.

This is a bad update and needs to be reversed.  Love evernote, but this is a critical system for me, if I can't trust you not to make changes like this on a whim, I am going to have to find another solution.

Chat does not replace the email functionality.  Concur with the comment that this is blatant marketing decision.  Evernote is a critical system for many users this kind of chafe reflect very poorly on the company.  Put email back under the "share" menu and confine chat to shared notes/notebooks.

All you have to know is you can send a note to any email address just like using Email Note and it will work.

@SoftwareMarcus, I am sorry but this is not true. With "Email note", the recipient gets a copy of the note (including any attachments, very important) by email. With Work Chat they get a LINK to view the note, and before being able to do so they have to sign up or login to Evernote. As I said in my previous reply, these are completely different functions. I see value in both of them, but please do not make "Email note" a second-class citizen or remove it.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you PLEASE put the "email note" button back where it was or include as a sharing option off the SHARE button?  I get you want to increase membership by tempting work chat note recipients to sign up upon receiving a shared note.  But, you have created a hassle for many of your loyal EXISTING users who use the email note function quite a bit.  

Everyone at Evernote uses Evernote and you all are understandably very enthusiastic about your service.  But strange as it may sound, not everyone in the world lives in Evernote.  Like a lot of my colleagues and family members.  They don't want to sign up.  They just want the content I sent them.  If they wanted to be users, they would have already signed up.

Thanks.

Can you PLEASE put the "email note" button back where it was or include as a sharing option off the SHARE button?  I get you want to increase membership by tempting work chat note recipients to sign up upon receiving a shared note.  But, you have created a hassle for many of your loyal EXISTING users who use the email note function quite a bit.  

Everyone at Evernote uses Evernote and you all are understandably very enthusiastic about your service.  But strange as it may sound, not everyone in the world lives in Evernote.  Like a lot of my colleagues and family members.  They don't want to sign up.  They just want the content I sent them.  If they wanted to be users, they would have already signed up.

Thanks.

I'm just a lowly physician so I know I don't do tech well but I was using evernote folders for organizing my student rotations. I don't see any way to share a folder or multiple folders like I did before. I also use my iphone a lot to communicate and I don't see any email options there, only the 'chat' and I still don't even understand what chat is. I agree with the comments, if you are planning a huge change, ask us and/or teach us how to get the same functionality we had before.

Huge user, frequent recommender. I gave this a few weeks to make sure it wasn't just change-avoidance on my part, and it's not. Not have email as a sharing option on the "share" drop-down where it's easy to use is a real problem. As everyone else notes, we get that you want us to use work-chat. But when I need to share notes with a non-Evernote user, I should be able to do that as easily as I can with an Evernote user.

• 2 months later...

Please restore the email note function! I used it frequently and will have to find an alternative if EN doesn't restore it. The people I email notes to have no desire to have to create an EN account to see the note. It beggars belief how much you have complicated a basic function. By all means have chat, but RESTORE the mail note function 

• Level 5*

Please restore the email note function! I used it frequently and will have to find an alternative if EN doesn't restore it. The people I email notes to have no desire to have to create an EN account to see the note. It beggars belief how much you have complicated a basic function. By all means have chat, but RESTORE the mail note function 

It's still there.

Look in the Note menu under More Sharing.

• 4 months later...
Posted · Hidden by JMichaelTX, July 20, 2015 - DUP post. Original at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/72845-old-email-sharing-was-moved/?p=369777
Hidden by JMichaelTX, July 20, 2015 - DUP post. Original at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/72845-old-email-sharing-was-moved/?p=369777

This is a useless supposed help function.  Where does one find solutions as opposed to people's opinions about the product?  I don't really care about opinions, but do want solutions.

• Level 5*

This is a useless supposed help function.  Where does one find solutions as opposed to people's opinions about the product?  I don't really care about opinions, but do want solutions.

Perhaps if you stated your problem/issue more clearly, we could offer more help.

Please state your problem, steps to reproduce, and the versions of Evernote and OS that you are using.

• 1 year later...

PLEASE add back the share by email to the share note drop down menu. You piss me off every time I have to email a note to someone. Quit trying to dictate my behavior by forcing me to use your stupid work chat feature. There is not a single person I want to send a note to using that platform! Argh, you are as annoying as Apple dictating how users should use the product. Eventually I'm going to call it quits on my Pro subscription over this.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, dlove100 said:

PLEASE add back the share by email to the share note drop down menu. You piss me off every time I have to email a note to someone. Quit trying to dictate my behavior by forcing me to use your stupid work chat feature. There is not a single person I want to send a note to using that platform! Argh, you are as annoying as Apple dictating how users should use the product. Eventually I'm going to call it quits on my Pro subscription over this.

How to share notes via email

On 11/14/2016 at 7:23 PM, gazumped said:

Thanks Guru, I recognize there is a way to do it.  It just shouldn't require three clicks through menu options.  It is a basic feature used by tons of people so it should be on the quick links share menu.  I realize there is groupthink at Evernote and they are trying to make everyone else drink the Koolaid that emailing is bad and therefore they make it laborious for emailers to do so.  It shouldn't take anything for Evernote to add email to the quick sharing links.  It is just bad business to make your customers frustrated with your product over, and over, and over again every time they do a basic task like emailing info to someone else.

Archived