Confused about Sync

Hi All,

I am confused about evernote Sync.  I have a Mac, iPhone and iPad and also a Win7 Laptop.  If I send a note with a PDF document attached to it, does Sync create a local copy on every device?

My Win7 device had not called home to evernote for a while and a lot of Syncing was going on.  

I do not want Evernote pushing my whole account as a local copy on my devices, like dropbox does.

Perhaps someone could clarify.

Thanks in advance.

Mik

London - UK

Hi All,

I am confused about evernote Sync.  I have a Mac, iPhone and iPad and also a Win7 Laptop.  If I send a note with a PDF document attached to it, does Sync create a local copy on every device?

My Win7 device had not called home to evernote for a while and a lot of Syncing was going on.  

I do not want Evernote pushing my whole account as a local copy on my devices, like dropbox does.

Perhaps someone could clarify.

Thanks in advance.

Mik

London - UK

The Windows & Mac desktop clients keep a local database that includes all notes. Mobile devices only sync header info, unless you are a premium user and specify one or more notebooks to be available for offline access.

Also, just to be sure you understand. None of your clients (devices) are syncing to each other. They are syncing to the Evernote Servers, except for any Local (offline) Notebooks saved on your Mac or Windows laptop.

If you have any notebooks designated as Local Notebooks on either, then they will *not be synced to the servers and you will need to manually save any notes you create or edit in them. And manually copy from one machine to the other if you want identical contents in both sets of Local Notebooks.

To ensure you are always working with the most current version of your Evernote (EN) Database, make it a point of ALWAYS manually Syncing DOWN from the EN Servers as soon as you open Evernote on any device (this pulls the last synced version down to your device), then manually Sync UP to the Servers when finished (this "saves" your work to the Servers). Do this in addition to whatever schedule you have each device set-up for auto-syncing.

Cheers!

• Level 5*

If you do NOT want your Notes (some or all) on one computer (PC/Mac) sync'd elsewhere, then you need to put them in LOCAL Notebooks.

By definition, Local NBs are stored ONLY on the computer they were created, and are never sync'd.

Archived