Strange automatic scrolling in the Notebooks sidebar

EverNote suddenly developed the annoying habit of tracking the cursor and automatically scrolling
the list of notebooks, even when the cursor is nowhere near that particular sidebar--and even when
it is not in the application at all!

There hasn't been an update, as far as I know. And restarting EverNote didn't fix it.
Do I need to restart the entire computer?
Is there some other solution?
tia

• Level 5*

You sound as though restarting the computer isn't something you do very often,  though it's Tech Support 101.  If in doubt,  restart.

If that doesn't work can you give us a bit more background like what OS you're working with?

It may be "Tech Support 101", but I have dozens of windows open as part of my work, 
and it's a pain to reopen them all.

The OS is Windows 7. I like to check before restarting. Maybe there was an

auto-scroll option that got clicked accidentally. Turning it off would then solve

the problem, where an inconvenient restart would not.

I sincerely hope that my working style isn't too annoying.

• Level 5*

There is no "auto-scroll" option in Evernote. Maybe there is in Windows, or in your mouse driver software -- that'd be up to you to solve. I use Win 7 as well, on multiple machines, and I've never seen this with Evernote.

Your working style is not a problem to anyone. Gazumped is a user just like you. He made a suggestion, trying to help you out with your problem. It's your choice if you don't want to take it. For that matter, I don't like restarting my computer all that often, but sometimes that's the correct answer anyways. 

• Level 5*

Yup - sorry if I upset you ('specially since I didn't actually mean to at the time);  that was just a statement of fact.  If a fix is not obvious,  just reset the whole system with a cold reboot.  One thing that does occur to me - if I click the centre button on my mouse,  the screen scrolls up or down,  depending on where the cursor is relative to the point I clicked.  The fix for that is:  centre-click again to switch it off.  But that's system related and nothing to do with Evernote.  Good luck with your scrolling..

• 3 years later...

I'm resurrecting this thread as this started happening on my Windows 10 machine. I have two screens and when I'm working in another app, on another screen, I can see Evernote's left notebook list scrolling up and down occasionally, fairly slowly, all on its own.

Charles

Is just me, or is there an incredible amount of snippiness in the responses posted here?

Anyway, a while back I did find that automatic scrolling behavior was indeed a property of the
mouse software. Still see it in the browser, every once in a while.

It seems to be caused by some combination of keystrokes I've clicked accidentally.
A simple click in the auto-scrolling windows fixes it.

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, eric_treelight said:

Is just me, or is there an incredible amount of snippiness in the responses posted here?

On 11/3/2014 at 2:43 PM, eric_treelight said:

Thanks, Gazumped. I admit to being overly-peevish.

???

22 minutes ago, eric_treelight said:

Anyway, a while back I did find that automatic scrolling behavior was indeed a property of the
mouse software. Still see it in the browser, every once in a while.

This is good to know.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I am having the same scrolling problem - it started very recently - no, I have not installed anything since the problem has arisen

I use evernote in my browser (Mozilla) and use Win 8.1,
I have never had this problem & I have been using evernote for some 4 yrears now
I have closed and reopened evernote, & restarted the PC,
It does not happen in anyother tabs

Has anybody found anything actionable that could be utilised other then telling me that you have never experienced this before😀

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. A little clarification on using them. This is a 5-year-old thread (with a 2-year-old post as the most recent response) in the Windows desktop program forum. There's a forum for the Web client here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/235-web-client/. Search around there and see if the issue has already been reported, and if not you can post your report there. Hope you get it resolved!

• 7 months later...

By trial and error I finally found a fix for this annoyance in my situation.  I found the constant scrolling to be slowly driving me nuts! I tried different views but I could not adjust.  I simply did not want to leave the convenience of the left panel view because I heavily rely on it.

I'm using surface pro 3 and windows 10 with the desktop client

This constant scrolling started recently and I finally pin-pointed that it happens after I use the vertical scroll bar in the left panel and then somehow accidentally happen to leave my cursor in one of two places:

1.on the white bar at the bottom of the left panel that gives the note count

2. on the black bar at the top of the left panel 

, next to the New Note + button

Now that I know this, I can stop the annoying scrolling by clicking on any note and watching where I leave the cursor.   

I hope this might help somebody else from going nuts!  😄

• Like 1