Can I install Evernote on my ancient iPad 1? Perhaps get an older version of Evernote?

I just installed Evernote on my Android phone, Macbook Pro and tried to install it on my ancient iPad 1 but since the iPad 1's iOS can't be updated past iOS 5 it won't let me install the app. I was wondering if anyone know if I can install an older version of Evernote on my iPad 1 and where I should go to get it?

Thank you very much. :)

• Level 5*

Don't know if there is an old copy of Evernote out there - an internet search is your best bet to find anything if you can - but it wouldn't be advisable anyway,  because the database structure changes from time to time as security and searching protocols are updated,  and the app develops to take advantage of new features in the OS.  If you take notes in an older version you might well have sync issues and be unable to export the notes to ENEX and import them manually because of incompatibilities with new structures.  It's really not a good idea.  Best advice would be to use your account email address to send material into the account.

To echo gazumped, it's really not advisable to use an old, unsupported version of Evernote, even if you can get it run, for the various reasons he listed.

Re: Account email. Each Evernote account has it's own email address to which you can forward any email, which will cause the forwarded content to be sent into your Evernote account. You can find this "send to" email address by going into your Account Settings https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action and look under the listing for "email notes to" to locate your personal address.  Save this email in your email contacts list so you can use it to send content to your Evernote account whenever you want.

Learn more here https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/search?query=email%20notes%20to

Thank you. Two more questions please...

1) Since Evernote is synching fine between my Macbook Pro and my Android phone, and Evernote won't install on an iPad 1, there is no reason to email anything. Correct?

2) Is it true that my current free Evernote account ends after 8 months and then I will have to pay for it?

• Level 5*

You don't 'have' to email anything,  but if you see on your iPad1 something that you would like to send to Evernote,  the way to do that is to email it.

-And the free version is always the free version;  it's not a time-limited trial.  It won't expire.

Hmm, that sure seems inefficient but I figured out how to install an older version of Evernote on to my iPad 1 and its working great between all of my devices.

You don't 'have' to email anything,  but if you see on your iPad1 something that you would like to send to Evernote,  the way to do that is to email it.

-And the free version is always the free version;  it's not a time-limited trial.  It won't expire.

• 1 year later...

I'm calling horse on that dont install older versions line.  I can assure you that there are hundreds of thousands of older versions out there happily working away. the db aint gonna change that much.

how did you install an older version, my sister wants to start usig it and she cant install it on her 2 year old iphone.

On 7/16/2016 at 1:50 AM, Paddy McGowan said:

I'm calling horse on that dont install older versions line.  I can assure you that there are hundreds of thousands of older versions out there happily working away. the db aint gonna change that much.

how did you install an older version, my sister wants to start usig it and she cant install it on her 2 year old iphone.

It's been a while since I did that but I think I found a page on the Evernote site that had the older versions. I looked for the version that still worked with iOS 5. Unfortunately I got an email from Evernote last week telling me that I will have to pay if I want Evernote to work on more than two devices.

• Level 5*
On 7/16/2016 at 3:50 AM, Paddy McGowan said:

Unless you jailbreak your iOS device, all apps must be installed from the Apple App Store.  Evernote provides only one version on the App Store, which requires iOS 8.1 or later.

• Level 5*

Just for the record - the "2 device limit" is 2 devices at one time - it seems pretty trivial to switch one for another,  and it doesn't cost money.  Getting hold of an older version of Evernote for iOS does seem to present some problems though.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, magentawave1 said:

I might have dropped it into Time Capsule and then used File Browser to open and install it. Or maybe I put it in Dropbox first??

Or maybe you used black magic?  Who knows?  Apparently you don't know yourself.  Doesn't sound like a procedure that could be used by others.

IAC, the Evernote data structure has changed a lot since iPad 1.  Even if you could use a very old version on the iPad 1, you may be putting your data at risk.  

18 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Just for the record - the "2 device limit" is 2 devices at one time - it seems pretty trivial to switch one for another,  and it doesn't cost money.  Getting hold of an older version of Evernote for iOS does seem to present some problems though.

Great, I didn't realize that. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

18 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Or maybe you used black magic?  Who knows?  Apparently you don't know yourself.  Doesn't sound like a procedure that could be used by others.

IAC, the Evernote data structure has changed a lot since iPad 1.  Even if you could use a very old version on the iPad 1, you may be putting your data at risk.  

Nope, no black magic, but like I said before, it's been quite a while (October 2014) since I did it but Evernote still works on my ancient iPad 1.

Archived