Problem forwarding email to Local notebook

Good evening - I'm brand new to Evernote.  Created Local notebook on my desktop and successfully forwarded an email from my phone to the Local notebook yesterday.  However, anything I forward today destined for the Local notebook is going into my inbox !  What am I doing incorrectly ?  My subject line looks like this "Subject @private".   Thanks for your assistance.

• Level 5*

The above should work if you have a local notebook named private, it does for me anyway, Windows client.  Be sure the notebook name is spelled correctly.

• Level 5*

Slight problem here - "Local Notebooks" are specifically limited to the permanent storage of the device on which they are created;  in this case the hard drive of your desktop.  They're not synced to the web server,  and can't be shared with another device like your phone.  If you're sending emails to the web server it has no access to the local notebook - worse,  if you created the local notebook for confidential material you don't want to have online,  you just sent it to your online inbox.  If you're not worried about the confidentiality of the content,  then the @<notebook> heading is fine,  you just may need to create a 'normal' notebook to put it in.

- Note I'm not saying anything you put online is immediately a public document,  but there are some things,  like bank account details,  that it's just dumb to put somewhere that might conceivably,  and after a great deal of effort,  be crackable by the Bad Guys.

(I'm also paranoid,  but that doesn't mean they aren't out there waiting.... :blink:)

• Level 5*

As Gaz said, local (non-sync'd) notebooks do not get synced to the EN servers. So it is impossible to email anything to a local notebook, since notes emailed to your account go to the EN servers.

This has been my experience as well.  Since the email travels to the server before it can go to the desktop, and the server has no knowledge of local notebooks, I don't see how this could have even worked once.

When the @notebook enhancement came out I couldn't get it to work until I realized that I was trying to forward them to a local notebook.  I just tried again now a couple of times to see if somehow something had changed and the test notes still never get to a local notebook they instead go to my default sync'd notebook with @notebook added to the title.

• Level 5*

Weird.  I have a local notebook called Scans, checked properties and it says so.  So I did a test for the OP and was surprised by the result, but posted what I did above.  

Based upon the other responses I tried again, it worked again.  I tried using a different local notebook, and it didn't work.  Sooooo, I took a look on the web and the notebook Scans is there (I rarely use the web version which is why I've been missing it).  Both Scans notebooks are in a stack called Home Stack (my stack name for my local notebooks).  Scans is the only notebook in the stack on the web, there 5 in the "actual" Home Stack on my PC.  Web NB Scans only contains the two test emails, Local NB Scans contains the two emails plus three other notes.  

So I seem to have a schizophrenic NB.  I just added a note to Local NB Scans and it did not sync to Web NB Scans.  I doubt there's enough forensic data to unravel this one, so I'm just going to take some screen shots for posterity and do some NB deleting and renaming.

Apologies to the OP for the mis-information, but thanks for identifying the anomaly I had.

Thanks for all of your responses regarding the Local notebook, which now make sense to me.  More importantly, as I'm just getting started with Evernote, the responses made me think through both how and what information I want to get into Evernote.  I also realized that I was mistaken in thinking that I had forwarded a message to a local notebook;  when in fact, I had forwarded it to a non-local notebook.

Weird. I have a local notebook called Scans, checked properties and it says so. So I did a test for the OP and was surprised by the result, but posted what I did above.

Based upon the other responses I tried again, it worked again. I tried using a different local notebook, and it didn't work. Sooooo, I took a look on the web and the notebook Scans is there (I rarely use the web version which is why I've been missing it). Both Scans notebooks are in a stack called Home Stack (my stack name for my local notebooks). Scans is the only notebook in the stack on the web, there 5 in the "actual" Home Stack on my PC. Web NB Scans only contains the two test emails, Local NB Scans contains the two emails plus three other notes.

So I seem to have a schizophrenic NB. I just added a note to Local NB Scans and it did not sync to Web NB Scans. I doubt there's enough forensic data to unravel this one, so I'm just going to take some screen shots for posterity and do some NB deleting and renaming.

Apologies to the OP for the mis-information, but thanks for identifying the anomaly I had.

A couple of users have complained that local notebooks were sync'd to the web client. IIRC, one of them was Factman. This is one of those problems that Evernote has never commented on publicly & has tried to sweep under the rug. Perhaps Factman will see this thread & comment on his experience.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41763-urgent-local-notebook-got-converted-to-synchronized-notebook-on-its-own/

A couple of us questioned EN regarding the resolution for this particular user (below) & did not get a solid response as to whether it was user error/mistake or something wonky on the EN side that caused his local notebook(s) to be sync'd.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38259-local-notebook-uploaded-and-synced/

• Level 5*

Weird. I have a local notebook called Scans, checked properties and it says so. So I did a test for the OP and was surprised by the result, but posted what I did above.

Based upon the other responses I tried again, it worked again. I tried using a different local notebook, and it didn't work. Sooooo, I took a look on the web and the notebook Scans is there (I rarely use the web version which is why I've been missing it). Both Scans notebooks are in a stack called Home Stack (my stack name for my local notebooks). Scans is the only notebook in the stack on the web, there 5 in the "actual" Home Stack on my PC. Web NB Scans only contains the two test emails, Local NB Scans contains the two emails plus three other notes.

So I seem to have a schizophrenic NB. I just added a note to Local NB Scans and it did not sync to Web NB Scans. I doubt there's enough forensic data to unravel this one, so I'm just going to take some screen shots for posterity and do some NB deleting and renaming.

A couple of users have complained that local notebooks were sync'd to the web client. IIRC, one of them was Factman. This is one of those problems that Evernote has never commented on publicly & has tried to sweep under the rug. Perhaps Factman will see this thread & comment on his experience.

I was one of the users affected by this as well and worked with dlu in trying fixes.  I don't recall exactly when I received the fixed version but since then there has been no sign of the problem for me.  What Cal describes could have crept in during that time frame but what I experienced was different.  I saw no duplication of notebooks, just a switch of a local notebook to a sync'd one.

• Level 5*

I think the difference here is that emails were sent to a local notebook which (obviously) couldn't be delivered to that local notebook.  Evernote Web set up a 'shadow' notebook online so's not to lose the data (maybe).  Interestingly that's agin the email rules which say you can't assign a note to a notebook that doesn't exist,  but then the notebooks do exist,  and Evernote does seem to recognise it.  But 'proper' offline notes were never exposed,  the online versions just held emails.

The technical word here,  I think,  would be "weird".

• Level 5*

I think the difference here is that emails were sent to a local notebook which (obviously) couldn't be delivered to that local notebook.  Evernote Web set up a 'shadow' notebook online so's not to lose the data (maybe).  Interestingly that's agin the email rules which say you can't assign a note to a notebook that doesn't exist,  but then the notebooks do exist,  and Evernote does seem to recognise it.  But 'proper' offline notes were never exposed,  the online versions just held emails.

The technical word here,  I think,  would be "weird".

With respect, Gaz, I don't think so.  No shadow NB was created when I used a different local notebook in a test.

I gave this some more thought and if I were hypothesizing, dangerous or useless as that may be, it could be related to the rebuild I did back in August.  If I remember correctly, I created the Scans notebook, but forgot to check the local box.  I deleted that Scans notebook, not immediately, but within the hour.  Point is it may have synced before I deleted it.  I recreated the Scans notebook as a local notebook after the delete.  I don't remember seeing Scans on the web after I was done with the rebuild when I did a note count check.  Nor has it been there the 5 or 6 times I have been on the web version since then, I would notice a local notebook appearing on the web (I only have 5 synced notebooks).  No way to be sure, but I'm guessing Scans NB appeared on the web when I sent the test email with @scans.  Guess being the operative term.  And you are right, no offline notes were revealed.

@s2sailor.  Different for sure.  Nothing got switched per se.  More of a duplication of a NB (though one local one synced) with all notes local and only web created notes syncing.

In the end, after the NB delete/rename process all is back to as you would expect.  A message with @scans appears in my Inbox NB.  I do agree we can technically call this weird.   :unsure:

Archived