Evernote crashing on startup every time

Upon startup this morning, Evernote said 'migrating notes from previous version', before crashing. I haven't been able to get any part of the app to open since.

On the crash log it says this:

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'MissingResourceException', reason: 'Unable to instantiate ENMLValidationHelper'

With exams looming in days, I'm absolutely beside myself that this isn't working!! 

Morgan

p.s.

Logging in to the web app, and phone app (iOS 8) works perfectly.

I am using the latest mac build on OS X Yosemite

Just saw in my trash that there's an Evernote (450845).app, so presumably there's been an auto-update gone wrong.

• Level 5*

I suggest you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

I also suggest that you turn off autoupdate for the very reason that you are experiencing now: significant bugs in the update.  I personally wait at least 2 weeks before I update any software to see if there are any adverse reports made.

Thanks to you both. I'm premium, didn't realise I had even selected auto-update. I submitted the crash reports each time Evernote attempted to startup.

I have downloaded via the Evernote website, not the mac store.

I deleted and re-installed the app, it has fixed the problem (despite other users previously reporting similar issues that weren't resolved this way)

Will ensure auto-update is off from now on!

• 5 weeks later...

hi this is happening to me too.. when you reinstalled did you lose all your old data?

Any data in synchronized notebooks will not be lost. "Local Notebooks" that you have not backed up may be lost. For any synchronized notebooks, Evernote will just pull all the data back down from Evernote's servers. 

I experienced this issues with Evernote v. 6.0.X and found a complete uninstall (I used App Cleaner to do this) and a reinstall fixed it. No data lost, but I don't use Local notebooks. 

Just deleting the app and reinstalling the app is not sufficient, you need to also remove all the additional data. App Cleaner seemed to do this with aplomb:

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

I have it from the App Store and it crashes on open every single time. My understanding is I cannot just download the update from the Evernote website, so I just have to sit on my hands and use my iPad or the web version until 6.0.1 gets through the App store. Is that correct?

I have it from the App Store and it crashes on open every single time. My understanding is I cannot just download the update from the Evernote website, so I just have to sit on my hands and use my iPad or the web version until 6.0.1 gets through the App store. Is that correct?

You can follow my directions and do a complete uninstall (with the help of something like App Cleaner). Then reinstall. Since your uninstallation was complete, including eliminating the local copy of your EN database, you can take your pick whether you'd like to redownload the App Store version or convert to the Direct version. 

Keep in mind that unless you have any "Local Notebooks", those will be lost if you haven't backed them up to a separate location. 

• 2 years later...
35 minutes ago, CanvasDancer said:

My Evernote opens on MacPro and iPhone. It is on the iPad that mine crashes every time I try to open Evernote. Will it work to delete and then reinstall the app? I have premium account and rely heavily on it!

Hi @CanvasDancer,

We have seen several reports of users experiencing this. Reinstalling has resolved the issue in most of these cases.

1. From the home screen, tap and hold the Evernote icon until it starts to jiggle
2. Tap X, then Delete
3. Restart your iOS device
4. Download Evernote from the App Store

More info here:

Just for future reference - you are posting in the Mac section of the forums. For any iOS questions or concerns, you can direct those to our iOS Help thread:

iOS Help

I hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Archived