Encrypting Text in Multiple Notes with Multiple Passphrases

ENnut

Idea

I created a couple of notes in EN and encrypted the text, just to try it out. I used the same passphrase for each note. All good. I created another note, and used a different passphrase and got this:

1HAblK9.png

I'm encouraged to use the same passphrase for all encrypted text snippets? Anyone know why using a new passphrase is NOT recommended?

If I'm going to encrypt sensitive stuff in EN, I want to use different passphrases (which I would store in 1Password) for each note.

I spent some time looking for the answer on the forum, but came up empty.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

One of those feature-not-a-bug things - the passphrase is encoded locally so Evernote never see this,  the functionality has to be built in to the app;  you have to have a limit to the number of passphrases otherwise the encrypted storage of passphrases will be almost as big the actual data.  Evernote chose '1' as their initial limit...

I created a couple of notes in EN and encrypted the text, just to try it out. I used the same passphrase for each note. All good. I created another note, and used a different passphrase and got this:

1HAblK9.png

I'm encouraged to use the same passphrase for all encrypted text snippets? Anyone know why using a new passphrase is NOT recommended?

If I'm going to encrypt sensitive stuff in EN, I want to use different passphrases (which I would store in 1Password) for each note.

I spent some time looking for the answer on the forum, but came up empty.

I highly recommend not using EN for passwords & encrypted text. A dedicated app (IE SplashID, Roboform, LastPass, 1Password, etc, etc, etc) is much better suited to the task.

Archived