(Archived) Find and Replace

RobBrown

Idea

Hi All,

Is there a way that I can find text within a note and replace it?

Pressing command-F brings up the in-note find that highlights all occurrences of a word, but how can I easily replace those words with another?

If this isn't possible, how can I copy a note out of Evernote into TextEdit or Microsoft Word (for the Mac) or other program with Find-and-replace functionality while preserving the formatting? Whenever I copy the text back in after finding and replacing in another program (such as TextEdit), the formatting is lost when I paste back in.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

9 replies to this idea

Thanks, Dave!

How about the copy-and-paste formatting issue?

Is there a way to easily take text out of Evernote, do the find-and-replace and send it back in for further editing / archiving?

Right now, when I copy-and-paste, the way out is fine... but on the way back into Evernote, I loose my formatting. Everything just becomes bold.

If you're not sure about what I'm talking about, please let me know and I'll prepare a screencast example.

Thanks for any help, I sure hope to find a way to use find-and-replace... it's the only thing holding me back from using Evernote 100% of the time for work.

I think that the round trip behavior for copy & paste will depend heavily on the application you're pasting into. If you have access to another rich text application (e.g. MS Word), you could give that a shot. When you paste, we may be trying to maintain formatting from the place you're pasting into, which could be an area marked as "boldface" if the start of your note is bold.

Evernote is an excellent syncronized text editor - without the replace option? That is a huge oversight, in an otherwise useful tool.

Regarding pasting from other applications: this leads to odd font behavior with respect to line returns - corrupting the now overwritten original content.

It would be better to build in a proper text find and replace command!

And getting the font behavior debugged!

You have a great product- please don't slow down on the development of user driven functions like find/replace and paste!

• Level 5*
[whisper](so metrodon doesn't hear) The Windows client already has Replace functionality...[/whisper]

Damn you Windows show offs with all your fancy functionality....

You Mac'ers don't need Replace because you never make mistakes???

Just a matter of time before you drink the Cool-Aid too Jeff! You'll kick and scream for about 10 seconds then suddenly understand why those question marks up there should actually be exclamation points :D

• Level 5*
Just a matter of time before you drink the Cool-Aid too Jeff! You'll kick and scream for about 10 seconds then suddenly understand why those question marks up there should actually be exclamation points :(

Hmmm, I wouldn't bet my lunch money on that (not before lunch anyways) -- at least on me becoming a True Believer. All computers have good points and bad points; I'm pretty satisfied with Windows as it is right now, and since that's the platform that I develop on at work, it works for me. If things change, then I may need to adjust to Mac / Linux / WhateverComesNext, but I have never been a fanatic about any OS.

Archived