EverNote default User Interface is bland

I have Windows 8 on my Mac, and I never choose to use the Evernote Windows Client.

If I am going to be working in Evernote, I am always on the the Mac side of my computer.  I imagine that Evernote puts more resources into the development of their products for OS X and iOS than for Windows...with the exception of Evernote web....which can work the same on any machine (brilliant!).

Also, I am starting to heavily use the Web client instead of the Web Clipper (anyone else?).  If you think the Windows client is "bland," then it is probably not for you.  I myself think the Windows client is cluttered and disorganized (somewhat atypical of Evernote products).  The web UI is clean and simple. I always have a pinned tab (with Evernote) open in my browser, and I am always using it because they made it so easy to add content.

Only thing I would suggest is for Evernote to allow user customization of the Web UI for Evernote Web....much like iOS app where you can choose different themes.  I imagine you can probably do it yourself if your a super advanced power user; however, I am just a paying consumer. 

• Level 5*

About the only thing that I know can be done is to change the colors of the notebook names in the left panel, via a hidden registry setting (which I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you search for ENRegEd, you can run that program and do it from there, I think).

Frankly, I think that the UI looks fine; the exciting stuff is in the note content, where it should be...

Latest windows version...

it looks so bland....  I would like to spice it up somehow...  diff colors,  maybe images within ui?

Me, I prefer function over form. I wish EN was devoting more (any?) resources to make their app function when one has a few thousand notes. As it stands now, I cannot use my main EN account on either the Windows or iOS clients. At all. Pretty only takes you so far. After that, there better be some substance.

Me, I prefer function over form. I wish EN was devoting more (any?) resources to make their app function when one has a few thousand notes. As it stands now, I cannot use my main EN account on either the Windows or iOS clients. At all. Pretty only takes you so far. After that, there better be some substance.

Is this because of the size of your entire combined database? I'm wondering why, in your case, that would affect iOS, unless you have chosen (in iOS) to download all of your notes. Must be a pain in the butt to have to rely solely on the new beta web client to use your main account... or just Mac.

Latest windows version...

it looks so bland....  I would like to spice it up somehow...  diff colors,  maybe images within ui?

One thing I use sparingly for certain notebooks to stand out are few ASCII symbols. They are visible across all platforms, unlike the iOS Emojis. Take your pick:

☺☻ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ • ◘ ○ ◙ ♂ ♀ ♪ ♫ ☼ ► ◄ ▲ ▼ ‼ ¶ § ↨ ↑ ↓ → ← ↕ ↔ « » ^ ⌂ | æ Æ ₧ ƒ ¡ ■ ▬ ░ ▒ ▓ █ ▄ ▌▐ ▀ α ß π Σ σ µ τ Φ Θ Ω δ ∞ φ ε ∩ ≡ ± ≥ ≤ ⌠ ⌡ ≈ ~ ° √

Other than that, it's like Jefito says... focus on the note content. I optimize my notes in some notebooks to see the right dimension thumbnail image in Snippet view for easy reference (Sometimes I use "The Noun Project" icons).

Another thing I like to do is hide the labels on the elements in the toolbars and customize both toolbars to show only the icons for features that I use. A lot of the time I collapse the notebooks, tags and shortcuts sections in the left panel... or better still, hide the left panel (F10). This and more helps to simplify the interface and lets you focus on the notes and their content. For me, less is more. 

Simple.PNG?dl=0

By the way, I don't do task management in Evernote... I just like tinkering :-)

SonarShack - One of the things you can do to "spice" it up a little (at least with the Windows version of EN) is to use different background colors for Notes that you create. This is not a standard feature of EN,  but Christopher Mayo (and maybe others) came up with a way to do it. It is documented elsewhere in this forum. I just did an Internet search and found one of Christopher's public EN Notebooks that provides a handful of Notes with different background colors. Here is the link: https://www.evernote.com/pub/mayo-christopher/public#st=p&x=background     Copy them to your EN.

Here's the way I use them. I have a Notebook named "Templates". I placed about 8 Notes in it with different background colors. I gave the 8 Notes a common Tag. I created a search for that Tag, saved the search, and added it to my Shortcuts.

Then, when I want to create a new Note with a different background color, I click on the shortcut, right-click one of the Notes, and select "Copy to Notebook......"

Give it a try!

Archived