Web Clipper takes too long to close!

soundsgoodtome

Thanks for Evernote, and thanks for the Web Clipper! It's clever, and it's generally fantastic.

But I work fast, and having to wait 4-5 seconds for the confirmation to be dismissed is excruciating.

In the options I've selected "Automatically close Clipper." Yet, each time I hit Save, I have to wait those seconds to continue working, because the page is "locked" until the confirmation disappears. This frankly defeats the very purpose of selecting "Automatically close Clipper." Since "Automatically close Clipper" is not the default, the fact that a user selects it means that the user expects the confirmation to disappear immediately.

If you think about it, for users who've selected "Automatically close Clipper," there's really no need for the sheet to linger at all. The fact that the overlay disappears is -- in and of itself -- confirmation that the Clipper was successful.   :)  So, it's superfluous for the sheet to display "Clipped to [X Notebook]." It should just close! The fact that it closes would, itself, be the confirmation.

It's difficult to imagine that anyone who choses "Automatically close…" would object to this, but if you're concerned that some may prefer the current behavior, could we at least have an option for truly immediate dismissal? Waiting for the confirmation to disappear isn't a big deal, once or twice. But when you're using it dozens and dozens of times in succession, the cumulative waiting is very, very annoying.  :)

The clipping process takes a few seconds and if user navigates away or closes the tab during that process the clip will fail. 

Thanks. I'm fully aware of that. You didn't understand my post. :)

After the clipping process has completed, the clipper shows a confirmation message that lingers for several, additional seconds. That confirmation message is unnecessary.

• 1 month later...

I'm pinging this, because it remains a problem.

Can we please, please, please have an option to omit the unnecessary confirmation message? It lingers for several seconds, preventing further interaction with the window. This is poorly implemented. Can we PLEASE get someone from Evernote to take a moment to seriously consider this?

There has been an option in the Web Clipper preferences for about 10 months. Please visit the options page and choose the behavior you want. 

I'm quite familiar with the Web Clipper preferences and always have been.

There is no option in the preferences for the behavior I'm requesting. Please reread my original post so you understand it.

Ah, Ok now I'm caught up. Nothing new to report form me then. The setting labeled 'automatically close clipper' is the best you can get at the moment.

Thanks. Which leads me back to my request:

PLEASE let us choose to have the confirmation dismissed immediately! The dismissal is all the "confirmation" that is needed. The confirmation overlay lingers for 3-4 seconds — and prevents further interaction with the window. This aspect of the feature is poorly thought-out.

All I want is for the overlay to just disappear immediately. We don't need to read "Clipped" for several seconds. The very moment that "Clipped" is displayed, the overlay should fade away instantly.

I disagree, this notification is serving a purpose as if user closes the tab while the clipping process is happening the clip will fail. 

Once again, you are failing to understand what I'm describing. In no way am I suggesting any changes whatsoever while the clipping process is happening.

Read my posts again!

I don't think I'm failing to understand. The notification I'm referring to is the one that surfaces immediately after a user clicks the Save button and has text that says 'Clipping...' & 'Saving...' etc. 

With all due respect, the fact that you wrote the following is proof that you're failing to understand:

this notification is serving a purpose as if user closes the tab while the clipping process is happening the clip will fail. 

I'm not suggesting that there shouldn't be a notification!

I'm not suggesting that anything should take place while the clipping is in process!

My suggestion is about what happens after the clipping process has been fully completed!   :)

I don't know how to state this any more clearly.

The issue is the fact that the "completed" notification remains on the screen for several seconds, because while doing so, it prevents any further interaction with the browser window.

My suggestion is very simple:

Presently, the "completed" notification has been programmed to remain on the screen for 4-5 seconds before it fades away, during which time it's impossible to interact with the browser window. 

All I'm asking for is the option to have the notification NOT linger for those 4-5 seconds before fading away. I simply need it to fade away immediately — i.e., after zero seconds, or after .5 seconds — so that the user can continue working with the browser window without first having to wait the 4-5 seconds for the overlay to disappear.

(Although waiting 4-5 seconds isn't a big deal to endure once or twice, I often make over 100 clippings in a session — and having to wait 4-5 seconds every, single time — before I can continue working in the browser window — is very, very annoying.)

Since this has proved so difficult to convey, I've made some quick screen-capture movies to demonstrate:

(1) This is the CURRENT behavior. (Note the several seconds that elapse BEFORE the confirmation disappears):

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAJi-GWnYUBHzrJED5FcJVF_5AN42ZWR0cY

(2) This is the behavior I'd PREFER to see. (Notice that the confirmation disappears IMMEDIATELY):

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAJklX4b9fRN4qMQIjXDH0WuRYofliY-II8

(I created the 2nd movie by simply removing, from the 1st movie, those few seconds during which the overlay lingers before finally fading away.) When the clipper was programmed, your programmers deliberately inserted a 4- to 5-second delay before it fades away. All I'm asking is the option to REMOVE that delay.

I trust this is now perfectly clear.   :)

Archived