Undo changes to a note

My wife and I share a notebook. However she writes in chinese and when I read it I need to translate it to english. This however do change the note in her world as wekk even if I do nothing to save anything. It's just saved anyway and overwrites the original. Now, is there a way to get the original back ? or we can not use it this way ? The translation forth and back makes it impossible to use as any automatic translation to and from chinese is not working properly.

Please ?

• Level 5*

Are you viewing the shared note on a mobile?  You'd have to 'edit' the note to translate the text,  which is why the changes get saved back when you exit.  You could either get your wife to email her comments to you with a copy to the account email address,  then you could work off the email rather than the original note.  Or you could copy the note into another notebook and then translate it maybe?  Whose account owns the notebook that you share?

Hi, no sorry, I am using my computer and she is using her tablet. So, what happens is my Firefox was set to translate all chinese websites to english then she shared her book with me which also contains her draft for a book, and it was translated to english and updated back to her tablet ... That means everything is gone..

• Level 5*

Yeah - as soon as the note content changes,  Evernote Web's autosave would assume this is an edit that replaces the original.  If who's ever account the shared notebook is set up in is a Premium account (even for only a month...) then you might be able to use the Note History feature to step notes back to when they were all in Chinese.  Meanwhile every time you open a note via the Evernote Web is going to overwrite a Chinese language page.  Stop doing that! 

I'd suggest you go back to the email idea I floated above - get a Gmail address for yourself if necessary;  use Google's translate functions on the email,  not the web client.

• 2 months later...

Yes, this just happened to me.

I shared a note with a colleague that had 5 checkbox items.  

He opened it and likely changed something. 

Meanwhile I added 5 more lines, so I have 10 now. 

He closed the note and Evernote apparently saved it.

A few seconds later, I'm back to the 5 checkbox items. The others simply disappeared.  OUCH!!

I tried gazumped suggestion above to go to Note History (I'm a Premium subscriber), but it only lists "Current version" which did not have additional. 

My take on this is that it's not ready for prime time sharing where multiple parties edit.  For this, we use Google Docs which is seamless.  Frankly, I only use Evernote for this as Google Docs has no "checkbox" list option. 

UPDATE: I was able to go to the Notebook "Conflicting Changes" which is automatically maintained by Evernote.  My additional note line items were there!  Yay! 

It's still no where near a slick as simultaneous editing as you get with Google Docs, but at least I can avoid total wipe out of created content. 

• Level 5*

Glad you got rescued.  Recent versions of Evernote include a 'note lock' feature that prevents anyone opening a note if you also have it open for editing.  Is your colleague using how own Evernote account to make changes?  The lock should have applied,  though I guess it's possible that really bad timing might let you both into the note at the same moment..

Archived