(Archived) epub format and LiveScribe Pen

I think about two ideas for EVERNOTE:

1. I have an E-Book (Sony) and it would be a nice idea to have the possibility to export notebooks from EVERNOTE directly into a epub format? What would you think about that idea?

2. I also have the LiveScribe Pen. Would it be not nice to import my LiveScribe notes into EVERNOTE? Good idea?

Hans

• 2 months later...

2. I also have the LiveScribe Pen. Would it be not nice to import my LiveScribe notes into EVERNOTE? Good idea?

I would love to have the ability to exports notes from LiveScribe into Evernote. Unfortunately LiveScribe seems pretty touchy when it comes protecting the imported files.

I think it depends upon how you use Livescribe. If you're a student who takes a lot of notes during class or someone who attends a lot of long meetings (and takes a lot of notes), you may rely heavily upon what attracted you to the LS product in the first place, the ability to tap on a note & hear what was being said at the time. You'd most certainly lose that ability in EN since that's the core of the LS/Pulsepen product.

OTOH, the things I record are usually short & I often don't take many (if any) notes, since, as long as I have the audio, I don't need the notes. And when I do take notes, I use one of the moleskin notebooks & I write big. Having said that, I drop Livescribe audio notes into Evernote quite often. They are in aac format & I just find the particular aac file(s), drop them into EN & change the titles & make notes about what the recording is about. And if I wanted to add my notes, I could call that page up in the Livescribe desktop, take an Evernote screen cap (b/c the smaller, moleskin pages fit onto my screen & my large handwriting makes it fairly easy to read) & add that to the audio note.

(The most tedious part is finding the correct aac file(s). But I've got it kind of down to a science. After transferring audio to the Livescribe desktop from the pen, I update my Locate32 database. Then I use Locate32 to search for *.aac files & sort by date updated. I then play them back to find the correct one(s). The reason I use Locate32 is b/c I have seven hard drives & it will search across all drives & once it's updated, is faster than the Windows search.)

1. I have an E-Book (Sony) and it would be a nice idea to have the possibility to export notebooks from EVERNOTE directly into a epub format? What would you think about that idea?

Whilst not exactly a simple export option, Evernote does support exporting notes as HTML (which maintains any rich formatting). HTML is a common input format for various tools that can then convert them to EPUB. A list of tools can be found at http://www.lexcycle.com/faq/how_to_create_epub. Calibre I believe provides some nice library management features for users of Sony Readers, but Sigil is the one I'm most familiar with and allows you to edit everything about the ePub file but is consequently more manual and onerous.

Not an integrated solution, but perhaps an option for the interim?

Archived