encrypted text not displayed in evernote for mac

hi:

lately i have more problems with evernote for mac (compared to windows version) whereby i can't set different password to encrypt different text + when after entering the correct password no (decrypted) text is displayed. i have followed the instruction on your website to check the email account linked to the account but it still doesn't work.

i'd appreciate if you can help in this soonest as i do not wish to switch between mac & windows just for using a simple evernote function.

tks: -nik-

• Level 5*

Sorry,  but this isn't Evernote Support - if you'd like to raise a ticket,  please see the link below.  If you are a premium user you'll be able to use the Chat option,  weekdays LA time.

Meantime I didn't understand how the linked email address relates to the password for encrypting text.  There's no password change for that single function,  though there is one for the whole account.  To encrypt text with a different password,  highlight and right-click the text to be encrypted,  and supply a (new) password when required.  Beware that the old password will be required for notes encrypted up to this point.

• 2 weeks later...

hi:

lately i have more problems with evernote for mac (compared to windows version) whereby i can't set different password to encrypt different text + when after entering the correct password no (decrypted) text is displayed. i have followed the instruction on your website to check the email account linked to the account but it still doesn't work.

i'd appreciate if you can help in this soonest as i do not wish to switch between mac & windows just for using a simple evernote function.

Did you receive a fix to this?

thanks

This seems to be resolved with the latest update. Can someone else test and let us know your result.

Thanks

I spoke to soon. I was on my iPad when testing and forgot the problem is on my Mac and still exists. When typing in my encryption password on some notes the data does not appear. Windows works fine.

Hi All,

I have a workaround which worked for me.

As I could view the text in my windows client this is what I did.

1. permanently decrypted the file in the windows client and took a copy of the file and saved it outside of evernote (just in case)

2. saved and sync'd in evernote

3. started up mac client

4. encrypted problem text (which was permanently decrypted in step 1)

5. saved and sync'd 

6. quit and restarted mac evernote client

After this I found I could view the file again without problem.

So perhaps if you decrypt the file permanently even via the web version of evernote - then do the re-encryption again via the client - it looks like it should be ok BUT please make sure you make a manual copy outside of evernote of anything really important before you try anything.

HTH

aliceb

hi:

Did you receive a fix to this?

thanks

initially, i found a solution by uninstalling & reinstalling it from apple app store. after a while, the problem came back.

i'm oredi prep myself to migrate to another app (after 3 years of using evernote without a prob)...

• 2 weeks later...

Still a problem, here, too. I was hoping it was just a lag in viewing the data (all pages are slow to resolve in 6.03 Mac client), but the encrypted notes fail to resolve. I'm premium, so I'll try support when I have time. Shame they didn't test this.

• Level 5*

I still have this issue as well - its annoying because I don't have access to a windows computer and the web version does not allow decrypting! I submitted a ticket and was informed this is on their bug list

Thanks for the extra feedback.  At least they're aware of the problem...

• 1 year later...

Are you using evernote for windows as well?

The problem happens when you encrypt the text in the windows version and you try to read it in the mac version.

I use evernote in windows, mac and web. If I encrypt stuff in the windows machine (which is my desktop) I cannot read it in the mac (which is my laptop)

Quite annoying...

Tested again, i have no idea why, but it only happened with my old notes.

It works fine with newly created notes in windows and mac.

I only had 3 encrypted notes so I recreated them and they are working now.

The most strange thing is that they didn't work to start with, I needed to copy them to a notepad and back to evernote for them to work.

No clue what was going on but very happy it is working.

Thank you very much for your help!

Carlos

Archived