Apply note to multiple notebooks

dawnlinski

Hi guys.

Is it possible to apply a note to multiple notebooks? Just say I'm saving visual snippets and they apply to more than one notebook, could I make that note show up in other notebooks too? I'm aware I can use tags but it would be really beneficial if it would show up when just selecting the other notebooks and I can see it there.

Cheers

Dawn

• Level 5*

It's true that you never know, but I'd bet against it. It doesn't really fit the mental model of notebooks. The tool that they have for applying multiple categorizations to a note is called "tag".

Suggestions are great, and they do listen, but all the suggestions haven't yielded, for example, a native Linux client or fully nestable notebooks, both of which which seem to be far more frequently suggested...

• Level 5*

Hi guys.

Is it possible to apply a note to multiple notebooks? Just say I'm saving visual snippets and they apply to more than one notebook, could I make that note show up in other notebooks too? I'm aware I can use tags but it would be really beneficial if it would show up when just selecting the other notebooks and I can see it there.

Cheers

Dawn

As you noted, the best solution to associating a Note with multiple categories (Notebooks in your setup) is to use Tags.

But, if you must use Notebooks, one approach is to create a NB named "Common".

In this NB put all Notes that are common to 2 or more NBs.

Then, in each NB, create a Note that has a link to the Note in the Common NB.

But, I encourage you to use Tags where you are now using Notebooks.  The only advantages of NBs are for sharing, and setting offline in the EN mobile apps.  So where you have NB1, NB2, NB3, . . ., use Tags with the same name.  Then you can assign the common Note tags with multiple Tags that represent NBs.

• Level 5*

Depends why you want multiple notes in mutiple notebooks, but you could achieve something with note links (right-click,  Copy Note Link).  A link to one note can be embedded in many others,  and will always lead back to the same single spot...  I use the principle for addresses forinstance - one client,  many contacts - have a client note with the full details of a company,  and link back to that with several individual contact notes with each person's personal details.  If I tag the notes temporarily I can also use the Table of Contents feature to add a list of all contacts to the company details.

Multiple notes with the same information is always dangerous because if the content changes,  you have to find all those notes and change it multiple times.  If there's only one note,  you can change all instances where the information might be accessed with one edit.

Depends why you want multiple notes in mutiple notebooks, but you could achieve something with note links (right-click,  Copy Note Link).  A link to one note can be embedded in many others,  and will always lead back to the same single spot...  I use the principle for addresses forinstance - one client,  many contacts - have a client note with the full details of a company,  and link back to that with several individual contact notes with each person's personal details.  If I tag the notes temporarily I can also use the Table of Contents feature to add a list of all contacts to the company details.

A word of caution about using Evernote's note links (this discusses shared notes, but also applies to note links):

FYI, if you share a note, then merge that note with another, the shared URL will no longer work, since a new note has been created. Or if you move the note to a local notebook, sync, then move it back to a sync'd notebook. Or if you export the note to enex & import the enex file, the original url will no longer work.

Archived