Giving notes a completion date

Hi, I'm new to Evernote and I downloaded it because i'd like to use one application for using notes and "calendar" in one box. My question is, because i could find it, is it possible to add completion date to notes that i create? 

So, I created a notebook "School" where I want to add notes as obligations that need to be done until specific date. I can not find any feature that would give me an option to give them a completion date and later on, when i search on the list of notes to sort them by completion date.

Thank you for help, Ziga

In Evernote, there is a reminder date that you can set on a note. http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/08/06/how-to-never-miss-a-deadline-with-evernote/

I know it's a reminder date which reminds you and says "Hey man, don't forget to finish this". There should be special completion date, when the job has to be done, and reminder is differend.

No matter, I decided not to use Evernote anymore (not an app for me).

In Evernote, there is a reminder date that you can set on a note. http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/08/06/how-to-never-miss-a-deadline-with-evernote/

I know it's a reminder date which reminds you and says "Hey man, don't forget to finish this". There should be special completion date, when the job has to be done, and reminder is differend.

No matter, I decided not to use Evernote anymore (not an app for me).

What "should" be included is subjective & apparently the folks at EN either don't think a completion date needs to be included or think there are other things of higher priority.   Good luck with finding an app that better suits your needs.

Let me introduce why completion date and reminder are different things. Let's say I set completion date on every note i have, when i search for notes in my notebook i want to sort them regarding to completion date and set the reminder date to remind me 3 days before the completion date. When i get reminded, then i check the completion date and that's it.

If i get reminded on a day it should be completed, then it's too late... =)

p.s. yes a better app was found :)

Let me introduce why completion date and reminder are different things. Let's say I set completion date on every note i have, when i search for notes in my notebook i want to sort them regarding to completion date and set the reminder date to remind me 3 days before the completion date. When i get reminded, then i check the completion date and that's it.

If i get reminded on a day it should be completed, then it's too late... =)

p.s. yes a better app was found :)

The folks here are pretty savvy, so I'm pretty sure they already knew the difference between a reminder date & a completion date.  So usually "introducing" a use case is not necessary.  However, for some reason, some folks feel the need to do so.  But since we are all users here, the goal is normally to discuss the current capabilities of EN & how one may be able to adjust/adapt to make EN fit into your workflow.  Sometimes, it's simply not possible b/c some users have "deal breaker" features that do not exist in EN.  It seems you fall into this category.

Good luck.

ziggy1234 - I hate to see you miss out on all the good features that Evernote offers, just because it doesn't perform a specific function exactly as you prefer.

Consider trying this.

When you modify a Note, Evernote automatically changes the "Updated" field. I suggest that you create a Tag named "Completed". After you finish an item, assign that tag to it. The "Updated" field will then tell you when it was completed.

Depending on which platform (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android) you make the change on, assigning the tag alone may not change the "Updated" field. If not, make some kind of minor change with the Note.

• Level 5*

When you modify a Note, Evernote automatically changes the "Updated" field. I suggest that you create a Tag named "Completed". After you finish an item, assign that tag to it. The "Updated" field will then tell you when it was completed.

I do something similar, but opposite: WHen I have a task to do, it gets a tag "_Todo". When it's done, the tag goes away.

Depending on which platform (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android) you make the change on, assigning the tag alone may not change the "Updated" field. If not, make some kind of minor change with the Note.

That may be universal now -- I remember an Evernote staffer -- dlu maybe? -- saying that this was a summary decision, that metadata changes like tags don't modify the updated date. But I'd check it on whatever devices you use Evernote on, if that's a thing. Some people also hijack the created date, which Evernote doesn't change after you create the note, as far as I know.

• Level 5*

ziggy1234 - I hate to see you miss out on all the good features that Evernote offers, just because it doesn't perform a specific function exactly as you prefer.

Consider trying this.

@Analyst444:  Great idea!

I have used a similar system for years now.  I am very task oriented, and I have created a number of Status Tags in Evernote to use on task related Notes.  I use a prefix of "ST." on my status Tags so that when I have to assign a status tag to a Note, all I have to type is "ST." and Evernote shows a dropdown list of all my Status Tags.

My Status Tags include:

• ST.Open
  • ST.Ordered
  • ST.Delivered
  • ST.Canceled
  • ST.Completed
  • St.Closed
  • and more (add as necessary)

I have the feeling that Ziggy1234 is long gone... and while everyone went to lengths to help with suggestions for what he called "completion dates", I think he really meant to say "Due dates". (Post #6 seems to clear up what he meant to say previously).

I don't think he was so much concerned with keeping a record/ archiving tasks that were completed/ done as he was with setting a reminder a couple of days before a due date, and then also being able to sort by the due date (deadline set). Sort of like putting a check in place before the actual due date. What he could have done, for example, is:

1. Include the due date as a prefix to his note title
  2. Set a reminder for a couple of days before the due date
  3. When the reminder notification is received, make a mental check and then reset the reminder to match the due date in the note title

If he kept a notebook solely for tasks, he could then sort the notes in that context by title, and he'd have a chronological list of due dates. If the tasks were mixed with other reference material notes, he would have to refer to the reminders list and then drag and drop the notes into the chronological due-date order (since, in this case, the reminders are not the due dates).

If he were to use the reminders to primarily set due dates, he'd be able to "sort reminders by date" in the reminders list (hinted at in post #1). I doubt he was aware of that... even so, he wanted a double function... that of being able to set a reminder and a due date. Wunderlist, to reference a popular app, is one such app that can do so.

If Ziggy were still around, I'd direct him to a task management system I set up in Evernote (Although I don't use it myself)... which would enable him to view tasks according to due dates... and independently use the reminders feature to give him a reminder a day or two before the due date - but not actually depend on the reminder notification for the due date itself. 

• 2 weeks later...

sorry jumping in late on this thread, but i too was looking for completion date. Use case (sorry) is that i keep a list of projects. Eg: Trips completed, Books Read, etc.  I would like to sort by Date Completed.

I know i can use the updated date field for this, but if i go back to make an edit to completed project note, it will inadertvendly updater the "Updated" field. Since the task was completed say Aug 2012 (but I now remembered a great restaurant to add), it shouldn't change the COMPLETION date.  I guess i can then manually reset the updated field, but this is a long way of avoiding the lack of EN completed date field.

thoughts?

• Level 5*

You could prefix the title with something like Comp yyyy-mm-dd when the note is completed.  Though it might be kind of negative feng shui for some relative to titles I suppose.  In any case, some text expander tools make it a hot key away.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

sorry jumping in late on this thread, but i too was looking for completion date. Use case (sorry) is that i keep a list of projects. Eg: Trips completed, Books Read, etc.  I would like to sort by Date Completed.

I know i can use the updated date field for this, but if i go back to make an edit to completed project note, it will inadertvendly updater the "Updated" field. Since the task was completed say Aug 2012 (but I now remembered a great restaurant to add), it shouldn't change the COMPLETION date.  I guess i can then manually reset the updated field, but this is a long way of avoiding the lack of EN completed date field.

thoughts?

You can use the reminder date. Even if you complete the reminder, the date remains as you left it (unless you remove the date). Updated date isn't a good choice for the reason that you state -- if you modify the note, it gets changed. Downside of using reminder date: you can't sort by that field, at least in the note views on the Windows client (you can sort by reminder date in the reminder sublist, but that only appears in the snippet and card views on WIndows).

Archived