[urgent] Deleted Evernote files locally and emptied trash - need help getting all notes back!

95% of my HD space was being taken up by Evernote so I wanted to find a way to clear it out. I ended up finding a lot irrelevant files that were connected to Evernote but weren't really notes so I deleted ALL of them. That eventually cleared ALL of my notes.

And because I was trying to clear my HD space, I cleared my Trash in Mac. 

All my notes are now gone and I need them for class - literally EVERYTHING I've written is in there and I have 5 exams next week.

Please help!!

95% of my HD space was being taken up by Evernote so I wanted to find a way to clear it out. I ended up finding a lot irrelevant files that were connected to Evernote but weren't really notes so I deleted ALL of them. That eventually cleared ALL of my notes.

And because I was trying to clear my HD space, I cleared my Trash in Mac. 

All my notes are now gone and I need them for class - literally EVERYTHING I've written is in there and I have 5 exams next week.

Please help!!

Did you sync the Mac? If not and you don't have any local (non-sync'd notebooks), you can just rebuild your database on your Mac. (Please search the board on the topic.) Actually, on second thought, you would probably be better served to work with support, to rebuild your database.

If you did sync, I'm guessing unless you have a recent backup, you're pretty much out of luck. If you have those notes on another device, don't sync the device & submit a support ticket. EN may (emphasis on the word 'may') be able to help you retrieve them from your other device. Don't try to email them to yourself b/c I think that will cause EN on the device to sync. The exception may be if you can set the device to only sync on wifi, disconnect from wifi & use non-wifi to email them (IE on your phone or if you have an iPad with 3g/4g/whatever).

If you don't have them on another device, do you have a recent backup of your Mac database that may contain those notes? Notes can be restored from a recent backup. There are viable instructions on the message board, if you do a search. However, under the circumstances, it may be best if you worked with support.

Good luck.

• Level 5*

@ericosiu:

Well, I guess you have learned the hard way, that BEFORE you delete anything of importance, you should back it up!

You said: "And because I was trying to clear my HD space, I cleared my Trash in Mac."

I think this is what we would call a self-inflicted wound.

So, unless you have a personal backup of your Evernote folder, I think you are SOL!!

Did you really expect anything else?

If you don't  have a Premium Account, I don't see any recovery for you.

Good luck on your exams.  I hope you have learned a valuable lesson that you can apply when you get out in the real world.

you're supposed to help. that's not helpful.

This is a user's board. You did a big boo boo. Users can often help others, but under the circumstances, it's pretty hard to help you without knowing if you have a backup or if you've sync'd. (Two questions I asked that you did not answer). If you choose to go deleting things without a backup, that's your choice, but there may be issues...like lost notes. If you want official EN support, submit a support ticket (see my sig). Oh, and you'll need to have a premium account.

sorry BurgersNFries - I wasn't referring to you!

To answer your question: all my notes are on my phone still! I do have the premium version so I'm thinking there might be a glimmer of hope? Submitted a ticket and have my fingers crossed :)

• 2 years later...

Wow! @ericosiu

That is super scary! Did you ever recover all of these notes?

I am in the middle of a recovery right now, hopefully support can fix a bug! My issue was completely different, a glitch in my Mac desktop app threw thousands of notes into my trash without me knowing, until one day I could search any of my important notes..... Yikes!!

Archived