Bug? Dash in tag name now acts like tab

I use tags that reference "Files" like "FIL-AT&T" and types like "TYP-Bill".  This allows me to create filing cabinets for the companies and reference the type of document it is.

In this latest release (5.5.1), it appears that as soon as I type in "FIL" or "TYP", then press the "-", it fills in the very first tag in its entirety.

This really really sucks and it needs to be changed or at least allow people to disable it.

Is this a bug or was it done by design (for what reason I have no idea)?  Can you please allow people to disable that "feature" or fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing this behavior in version 5.6.2 of Evernote for Mac Desktop.

I can't see how dash would possibly be useful for autocomplete. It makes entering tags with dashes cumbersome and slow.

Evernote - please fix.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This was a bug in Yosemite. Apple seems to have fixed the bug in 10.10.3. Please update your OS and let us know if this is still an issue.

Hi, it looks like this bug has returned to El Capitan.  Its the exactl same problem.  Do you have a copy of the bug on the Apple side so that it can be reported again?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'll give you news... and it's not good.  So first of all, Evernote seems to be the only application that has this issue (at least from my perspective).  They claim its an Apple bug, but I have my doubts.  They have fixed it 2 times, then subsequently pulled the fix.  It was fixed in 6.6b of which I commended them on the fix.  After they fixed in in 6.6B, I sent them a note telling them that they finally fixed it with a hearty "thanks".  Response from Nick L. in support on 3/21:

"Thank you for writing us back. This bug is still opened by Apple, but we have managed to code around it. This should no longer be an issue moving forward."

But low and behold... in the 6.6 release, it was back!  So I reopened their ticket and stated:

"As a FYI, 6.6 Beta had this bug fixed. Your official release of 6.6 regressed and the bug is back. When will you guys lock your code so it stops showing itself. If I knew it regressed, I never would have upgraded."

and Nick L. proceeded with the following response:

"We're currently working with Apple to get the bug resolved on their end so we can provide a stable fix. At this time I do not have an estimated date of when this will be fixed."

Bottom line is their support is a freaking disaster area.  This is what happens when you let hispsters decide on these sorts of things. ;-)  They giveth, then they taketh.

My analysis is they are using some obscure crapola in Apple's API (that nobody uses) rather then commit the "workaround" and do it so its usable.  IMHO, this issue is a blocker and their devs leave a lot to be desired, with their tickets and support being even worse.  I am seriously looking at M$ OneNote at this stage and pulling my Pro subscription... this software is quickly becoming  pure ***** and I won't pay for support with bugs that are open for over a year.  They should be ashamed of themselves.

This issue still exists and bugs me.

I adopted a tag system where I identify projects as follows: 

prj-masterbedroom-remodel

prj-landscape

prj-blah-blah

etc.

So when entering a new note, if it pertains to a project, I want to quickly start typing - narrowing down to the specific project.

However, current behavior is: I type 'prj'(so far so good -- all prj tags are shown as matching). I type the '-' and <ugh> the first item in the list is auto selected and inserted as desired tag, closing list of all matches. I then have to go back and peform keyboard surgery with the tag to coerce what I want.

Disappointing to see that this issue has been floating around for so long.

• Level 5*
On 4/18/2016 at 1:17 PM, gbaxter said:

Disappointing to see that this issue has been floating around for so long.

Yes it is.  Evernote claims that it is an Apple bug:

On 11/24/2015 at 3:51 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

We still think this is an Apple bug.  It was an Apple bug before and they fixed it in Yosemite but it appears to have come back in El Cap.   Not sure of the number but we did file a radar ticket.

It is hard for us to know where the issue really lies.  
So the best we can do for now is a workaround: Don't use dashes ("-") in tag names

I have been using periods (".") for years as "word separators" without any issues.
For example:  prj.landscape

I know it's a PITA, but that's the best I can offer for now.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

4 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

It is hard for us to know where the issue really lies.  

So the best we can do for now is a workaround: Don't use dashes ("-") in tag names

That's hog wash and hand waving.  Evernote fixed it in 6.2B and 6.6B.  My exchange with support in my previous posting underscores that it can be coded around.  Its a ridicules bug (I am speaking as a software developer) that most certainly can be fixed, and they have fixed it before.

Heck, from your saying the best we can do is not use dashes... why not go all the way and lets just not use tags, right?  That gets rid of the problem completely!  Right? ;-)  Sorry, but your statement is flawed.  I have a LOT of tags and everyone of them uses a "-".  I'm not going to go back and change every single "-" to a ".".  If i have to retype every tag, then its not worth the time or headache.  Sure, if I was to do this from the beginning and knew this would be such an insane problem, I sure could have used a ".", but that's a day late and a dollar short.

I pay for Pro... I expect that they fix simple bugs... this has been open for 2 years... and they continue fix then regress it.  That's bad customer service and its bad faith.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, MountainMan01 said:

That's hog wash

Could be, although I'm not sure who's hog needs the most washing.  :lol:

I was simply offering @gbaxter a simple workaround to make tagging work now.  Who knows how long before Evernote or Apple will provide a fix.

Each person is free to use, or not use, the workaround.  I am not defending either Evernote or Apple.  I'm more interested in making the current system work for me (and you).

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Could be, although I'm not sure who's hog needs the most washing.

Evernote's :D

I didn't mean to lash out at you.  You were just trying to help.  I am just a frustrated user and customer of Evernote due to this bug and getting a line cr4p from them when I check the status or some lame excuse from them on why it isn't fixed, or pointing fingers at Apple.  I have just had it from this company.  They need to learn a thing or two on how not to be a hipster support group and about how customer service works. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Is this something that's still on the radar?

I just upgraded my OS to El Capitan, and have indeed run into this issue as well. As someone with tons of tags that have a dash in them, this is a killer issue for me.

Would love to hear if there is a workaround or a plan in place to fix this.

2 hours ago, Edan Maor said:

Hi,

Is this something that's still on the radar?

I just upgraded my OS to El Capitan, and have indeed run into this issue as well. As someone with tons of tags that have a dash in them, this is a killer issue for me.

Would love to hear if there is a workaround or a plan in place to fix this.

Yep... still on the radar.  Been a problem for 2 years. 

2 bugs have been opened (and are still open) on this issue from my Premium membership.  The first happens as described.  The second is when you try to set a tag for multiple notes.  If you hit the backspace button when typing a tag, it sometimes just removes the tag, so you need it to do it multiple times until it gets set.

Yes, Evernote has the ability to code around it.  They have fixed it in betas, then they taketh away on the release with the claim that its an "apple" bug.  Interestingly I have never seen this "bug" from apple in any other application.  It seems to be Evernote specific, so they are using some API that is specific to what they are doing.  I am guessing its for this reason that Apple has put such a low priority on it... and now we are Mac OS Sierra soon, so I guess Apple won't be fixing this "bug" any time soon.

Bottom line is Evernote doesn't give a cr@p about their paying customers as they have shown that they can fix this bug, but then decide not to and point at Apple.  They don't understand that sometimes you need to code around so-called-bugs to make your customers happy, but we all know that Evernote doesn't get customer service.

At this stage, I don't really care if it gets fixed or not.  They raised their prices to a ridicules amount, so I am in the process of migrating my notes to OneNote before my renewal date goes into effect in February.  They lost me as a customer due to their sh*tty customer support and ridicules pricing.

You asked if there is a work around.  Kind of.  Type your tag up until you get to the "-".  Type a "x" instead. Then hit backspace and continue with the "-".  You will need to do this every time you hit a "-" in your tag if you have multiple "-"s in the tag name.  Other than that, you are stuck.  I would recommend looking at other alternatives anyways as Evernote looks like they may not be around very long.  I prepared for this by OCRing every PDF knowing I would need PDF search capabilities in other product.  I'm prepped to move... so should everyone else.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

March 2018, this bug is STILL here, not fixed, and VERY annoying.  The duration of this unfixed bug thread serves as proof that Evernote totally ignores its users. 

Evernote version 7.0.2Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

Also, apparently command + enter as well as ctrl + enter both automatically save your edits on here WITHOUT WARNING...and I'm no longer able to edit my post because of it.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that an app with an annoying UI also has an annoying forum UI...

• 4 weeks later...

OK I'm a pretty steady user of Evernote and have been using it for many many years.

But this issue is years old at this point and hasn't been addressed. And we're talking about a core functionality of Evernote - adding tags to notes!

Is this something that is on the radar to being fixed?

Archived