Make a way for EN to have shortened links usable in other applications

Would love to be able to paste a link or shortcut in my ToDo manager to take me to a page of EN notes.

I know you can make a shareable link - but clicking on it just opens web viewer of page - doesn't open Evernote app.

Gotta be a smoother way.   Key to EN future growth is ability to integrate better with other apps and be the "central brain".

• Level 5*

Not sure what you're expecting here.  There are a number of options to physically shorten a link,  and AFAIK none of them are integrated with any other app - you go to a web page and insert a long link,  they come back with a shorter one.  Two security issues there - you're sharing a link to what might be private data with an unknown third party,  and if you sent someone else a shortened link to a web page they might hesitate before clicking an anonymous link.  Where's the commercial incentive for Evernote to get involved with an existing supplier or to develop their own?

If you're saying you want to open an editable note,  then (again AFAIK) the 'direct' link to a note on your local hard drive is here - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/58313-keyboard-shortcut-for-copy-classic-note-link/

That thread includes - "the following behaviour is expected with note links in current versions of Evernote for Win/OSX:

Right-Click > Copy Note Link copies a context-sensitive link.

Within Evernote, as I understand it, one can then:

• Command-V - which pastes an internal app link (evernote://)
  • Command-K - which opens a web address link box AND THEN Command-V which pasts an external web note link (https://www.evernote.com/...)

Outside of Evernote, Command-V pastes ONLY an external web note link (https://www.evernote.com/...).

Option + Right-click > Copy Classic Note Link copies an internal app link ONLY. I.e. wherever one pastes it (within or outside of the Evernote app) it will be an evernote:// link."

Thanks to @jamesctaylor for the details.

All of that of course is Desktop related because a link to an editable version requires local storage and processing that mobiles might not have...

Looking to be able to 

1. Make a link,

2. Paste link into calendar or contact notes field or other app

3. Have EN app open to that page in EN app.

You can do something close today but it is a kludge:   1. Create note,  2. Go to browser version and make shareable link, 3.  Go to goo.gl or other place to shorten, 4. Paste that shortened link into your calendar, 

I don't know if this makes sense.  I'm no programmer.

But the key to EN success is being able to link inside other apps rather than being a "stovepipe" of information.

So in my calendar, I'd love to put a link / tag / whatever to an EN note.  

Same in my ToDo manager

Same in my Contacts.

etc.

• Level 5*

There's no great need to shorten the link if you're copying and pasting - most apps will shorten the link if they need to - like this link - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/71182-make-a-way-for-en-to-have-shortened-links-usable-in-other-applications/#entry312423 back to this page.

Some apps don't accept external links - that's down to that app,  not to Evernote's link length,  and others allow you to create a hyperlink like this one which is also a link back to this page,  with the detail hidden.  I use links all the time to and from various apps and Excel/ Word,  usually the 'classic' version so Evernote (which normally sits in the background somewhere) can cough up the necessary note.  That editing is only possible on the device that hosts the database though.

As this is iOS tagged forum topics, I think the OP was talking about creating links from various apps on the iPad and iPhone to Evernote. I too have found the same difficulty. I would like to create a link from another app and have it open my note in the Evernote app. I don't want to have to load the web version of Evernote.

Thanks !  You understand what I was saying:  

Ability to create links that:

- Don't require going to web version

- Automatically shorten

- Have open of open share or not

- Automatically open EN in IOS when clicked

EN would be so much more awesome:

- Links in calendar entries with details

- Links in ToDo with project information

- Links in contacts with history and notes

Actually though, if you create a private link, while it will first go to Safari, it will then redirect to the Evernote app. (I think there is a setting you have to ok the first time you try this and then it works afterward.)

What I wish for more is... Being able to rename the link so I can have whatever title on the note, but a more appropriate title elsewhere would be great.

And the issue I face more concerning links is that Evernote doesn't recognize app-to-app links as proper links... at least for the app I care most about. ;-)

I thought in the latest Mac beta version Jackolicious had said the ability to link to other programs loaded on the computer had been removed for security reasons. (Though what those threats might be I have no clue.) And while several people complained, it didn't look as though EN was backing down. If that's the case, then won't they be revoking that ability on Windows at some point too?

I really, really hope not, as I often link between various programs on my PC. I've already said so on that thread, but I'll repeat it here....If we the users, are prepared to take the risk of whatever danger EN thinks we might be exposed to when putting links to other software we own and have loaded on our computers, why does EN think it's okay to take that choice away from us? Very Big Brotherish, in my opinion!

Have you got any hints about what's happening in this regard, Gaz?

GBarry, Charboyd, Jackolicious...anyone from EN, can you please clarify this for us?

There's no great need to shorten the link if you're copying and pasting - most apps will shorten the link if they need to - like this link - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/71182-make-a-way-for-en-to-have-shortened-links-usable-in-other-applications/#entry312423 back to this page.

Some apps don't accept external links - that's down to that app, not to Evernote's link length, and others allow you to create a hyperlink like this one which is also a link back to this page, with the detail hidden. I use links all the time to and from various apps and Excel/ Word, usually the 'classic' version so Evernote (which normally sits in the background somewhere) can cough up the necessary note. That editing is only possible on the device that hosts the database though.

• Level 5*

Hi WG - you're calling on the Elder Gods here to comment,  and I don't know if they'll answer..  My understanding is that links to files on the local hard drive were banned for Macs,  though they still (I think) work for Windows.  Links to web pages and the like should work on both.  Knowledge of any plans to change any of the above is well above my unpay grade...

Archived