EN wants to download all my data onto my Mac - but it should be there!

tymberman

Idea

There is something strange going on.  I've been using EN on my Mac for years.  But now, when I open the ap and  sign in, it wants to download all my data, as though it is not on this computer.  I've searched for where the data lives, and it seems to be at user/library/application support/com.evernote.evernote.  Folder size is about 3.6 Gb so it must be it.  Why won't it open the data?

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi - I think a recent update may have required that the existing database be converted/ updated,  but it shouldn't be a problem.  If you haven't already done it I'd suggest backing up the information you already have on disk and uninstalling/ reinstalling the app with the latest version from Evernote.com - just to be safe.  Restart and if it's still keen to go ahead,  allow it to do what it wants.

• Level 5*

There is something strange going on.  I've been using EN on my Mac for years.  But now, when I open the ap and  sign in, it wants to download all my data, as though it is not on this computer.  I've searched for where the data lives, and it seems to be at user/library/application support/com.evernote.evernote.  Folder size is about 3.6 Gb so it must be it.  Why won't it open the data?

Did you recently do an update to EN Mac?

What EN Mac ver are you now running?

Any recent changes to your Mac, like OS X updates?

If you are still on EN Mac 5.5.2, I would NOT update to Ver 5.6.x yet.  There are still a number of problems with it.

Well, I started an online chat with a support technician, who told me to delete the old EN 5.5, download the new 5.6 and let it go.  I did that, and I am at the same place - cannot find my data.  Problem started, I believe, when I tried to install the update.  The data is still there, why it cannot find it I don't know

• Level 5*

Well,  if you are able to chat online with the techs I'd go back and let them talk you through some checks.  It is confusing though.  If your notes exist,  Evernote should be able to read them.  If they don't Evernote should recreate the database from the server.

• Level 5*

Well, I started an online chat with a support technician, who told me to delete the old EN 5.5, download the new 5.6 and let it go.  I did that, and I am at the same place - cannot find my data.  Problem started, I believe, when I tried to install the update.  The data is still there, why it cannot find it I don't know

Have you checked/verified that ALL of your Notes are properly stored in the EN Cloud using the EN Web client at Evernote.com?

IF all of your Notes are in the EN Cloud, then you may want to do a complete uninstall/reinstall:

How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac

1. Export to ENEX files any Local NBs that you may have
  2. Backup the entire Evernote data folder (as shown in Step #3)
  3. Completely uninstall EN Mac App and data
  4. Download the latest (non-beta) EN Mac app from the Evernote.com web site
  5. Install the latest EN Mac App
  6. Allow it to sync (download in this case) all of your Notes from the EN Cloud.
  7. IF you had any Local NBs, import into this new install

Archived