Evernote for Mac 5.6.2 Beta 1

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

We continue to see a crash that a number of people are running into that we thought we fixed in 5.6.1.   We have never been able to reproduce it in house which makes it hard for us to fix and test but we know it's happening because of the crash reports customers are uploading.  The crash reports tell us roughly where the issue might be occurring but we don't know for sure what is causing it.  We want to fix this issue.

The only change we've made in 5.6.2 Beta 1 is another attempt to fix this bug.  We hope we have finally fixed the issue but since we don't have reproducible steps we don't know.  If you crash, please upload your log files to us.  

The crash appears in the notes editor but again we're not really sure why it happens.  A key point is that this crash does NOT happen for everyone.  

You can download the Beta here: http://bit.ly/1sZjVj6.

Thanks again for your continued help.

28 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

@Jackolicious:  You guys removed the external file link feature during one of the EN Mac 5.6 Betas.  Do I remember correctly that you guys agreed to re-enable this feature after the large outcry?  If so, has it been re-enabled?

See Bug: File links broken in 5.6.0 for the many objections to this feature being removed.

Just installed 5.6.2 beta 2 and, based on a couple of minutes of tinkering with it, the whole flickering/refreshing/losing focus appears to have been resolved. Thanks!

THANK YOU!!!!

I breathe easier and work better.  You made my day!

Thank the Evernote crew! All I did was install it. So glad this got fixed quickly, though. That annoying behavior was testing the limits of my zen.

When typing a note I can type about 5 words and then it stops accepting input from the keyboard or trackpad.  I can shut the editor window and open it again.  Sometimes I can edit the note, sometimes I cannot.  This is new in the 5.6.2 beta 1

When typing a note I can type about 5 words and then it stops accepting input from the keyboard or trackpad.  I can shut the editor window and open it again.  Sometimes I can edit the note, sometimes I cannot.  This is new in the 5.6.2 beta 1

Perhaps related to that when writing a note the focus is lost after a couple of seconds and I have to explicitly click into the text area again to make it return. Luckily I can get the focus back without restarting Evernote but it still makes the app basically useless for note-talking.

Running 5.6.2 Beta (450889 Direct) on OSX Yosemite.

Exact same problem here. Have to close the note to reopen and edit.  Happens after just a few seconds. 

Same problem here. If I continue to type, the cursor remains in place. However, as soon as there is a pause in the typing, the screen flickers and the curson disappears. Frustrating.

As several others have pointed out, the latest beta (5.6.2 - 450889 Direct), when attempting to write in a note, at some point, usually when it's most frustrating, the app appears to go through a sync, and I loose focus on where I was.  Looking forward to a fix!  

joe

Great feedback.  Thanks for trying this out and reporting the issues you're finding.  I'm able to reproduce the note and cursor issue on a floating window.  I'll report back with updates.

The good news is that it looks like the nasty bug we were trying to track down is fixed.  Of course it's not a good fix if there are unintended side affects.   Stay tuned.

Thanks for the feedback.  Looking forward to the fix !

Best Regards

Jim

Great feedback.  Thanks for trying this out and reporting the issues you're finding.  I'm able to reproduce the note and cursor issue on a floating window.  I'll report back with updates.

The good news is that it looks like the nasty bug we were trying to track down is fixed.  Of course it's not a good fix if there are unintended side affects.   Stay tuned.

I am glad you like the feedback.  But I am left without a workable tool.  Evernote is impossible for me to use in this beta.   Does "stay tuned" have a time frame?

I keep losing my place when I'm editing a note or an attachment to a note. Any time I make a tiny change, the app "blinks" as if to indicate that it needs to be synched, but then the cursor disappears from where I was typing, which means I'd have to find and click the spot within the note to resume editing.  Other times the note just freezes and I have to close it and wait another few seconds to get back in it.  This behavior is extremely annoying and disruptive to any workflow. Please fix soon! Thanks! 5.6.2 beta 1 on Yosemite.

Exactly the same problem here.  To reproduce:

Open a note

Type some text

Hit Cmd + s to sync

The note flickers as though it is being reloaded

Focus moves away from the note

Could be this bug reintroduced from a while back :-

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/2188-text-pane-loses-focus/

I'm running

OSX 10.10 GM

Evernote 450889 Direct

Hopefully it will get fixed in the next release.

Best Regards

Jim

I keep losing my place when I'm editing a note or an attachment to a note. Any time I make a tiny change, the app "blinks" as if to indicate that it needs to be synched, but then the cursor disappears from where I was typing, which means I'd have to find and click the spot within the note to resume editing.  Other times the note just freezes and I have to close it and wait another few seconds to get back in it.  This behavior is extremely annoying and disruptive to any workflow. Please fix soon! Thanks! 5.6.2 beta 1 on Yosemite.

Perhaps related to that when writing a note the focus is lost after a couple of seconds and I have to explicitly click into the text area again to make it return. Luckily I can get the focus back without restarting Evernote but it still makes the app basically useless for note-talking.

I can verify this -- same issue here: on Yosemite, with Beta 5.6.2 (450889 Direct). Type for a bit, and focus is lost as the content refreshes itself in the editor window and any preview tile. Doesn't seem to happen in coordination with a sync step (I still see an up arrow on the note card thumbnail corner indicating it hasn't synced yet). Have to click to regain focus and type more, only to lose focus again after a few keystrokes. Kinda useless.

That solution is precisely what I am unable to do.  I can't get the focus back without closing the note, or waiting what seems like an eternity (20-30 seconds?).  By then the thought is gone.  I have moved to Evernote on the Web until this beta is past.

• Level 5*

From separate thread, 5.6.2 beta - note loses focus when it syncs:

5.6.2 beta introduced a pretty nasty issue. Here's how to reproduce:

1. Create a new text note. 

2. Start typing content into the note.

3. Stop typing, and wait for a second for Evernote to sync the changes to the server.

When this happens, you'll see the note field flash gray, then suddenly the note loses focus, and I have to click on it again to type again.

I'm using 10.10. I don't have a machine running Mavericks so I can't test on there.

Screencast of the bug here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozxt7iih8sm3dg5/evernote%205.6.2%20beta%20bug.mov?dl=0

When I start to type a tag containing a hyphen into a note's  tag field, the tag erroneously auto-completes, forcing me to backspace to the hyphen.  EN 5.6.2 beta; MacOS Yosemite.

Jay Fogleman

Exact same problem here. Have to close the note to reopen and edit.  Happens after just a few seconds. 

I see a crash with 5.6.1; it's happened about 10 times since install.  It happens in the note editor and it mainly seems to occur when I am switching desktops using Spaces.  I have a keyboard shortcut assigned to switch desktops.  The crash sequence: I type in the note editor on one desktop.  I switch to a new desktop, and the crash reporter dialog appears on the new desktop.  I am not 100% sure this is always the sequence but it's happened at least twice.  Mac OS X 10.9.4.

edit: the work I did in the note editor has always been saved and is restored after each crash.

I just installed this beta. I'm running the public release of Yosemite, and I was previously running the Mac App Store 5.5 release of Evernote. This installed fine, and seemed to migrate the database just fine. Not seeing any formatting issues so far - but I've only done a cursory inspection.

• Level 5*

@Markus:  Thanks for being candid about this nasty bug.  Have you guys considered working directly with some of the users who have made the crash reports?  Maybe it would be better to beta test your fixes with them rather than putting it out as a public beta.

Archived