Evernote Web app Reminder: date format confusing for people not in the USA.

mrs jones

• 6 months later...

As one of the 95% of the world's population who do not live in the USA, I too would like to be able to change away from the illogical and confusing mm/dd/yy format - and it does seem to be fixed on the web app, regardless of system settings.  I can confirm that it's fine on the windows and android apps, but I'm stuck with the web version at work.

A small issue perhaps, but just another thing on the list of shortcomings on what would otherwise be an unbeatable service.

• 1 month later...

The web app on my mac only has one date format for reminders, which is US only. This is M/D/Y. Most of the world however will find such a format confusing as they use D/M/Y. There needs to be an option like in the apps. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

Regards

Fran Cotton

15/10/2014

Hi Fran, 

Can you help us understand what your language setting is and the general locale you are in. I am properly seeing DD/MM/YY on our side and would like to confirm how to repro your situation. 

- Nancy 

• 2 weeks later...

The web app on my mac only has one date format for reminders, which is US only. This is M/D/Y. Most of the world however will find such a format confusing as they use D/M/Y. There needs to be an option like in the apps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

Regards

Fran Cotton

15/10/2014

Hi Fran,

Can you help us understand what your language setting is and the general locale you are in. I am properly seeing DD/MM/YY on our side and would like to confirm how to repro your situation.

- Nancy

I live in the uk. Am on mac 10.9.4. Language setting is British English calendar gregorian. Dates set to D/M/Y.  chrome also set to uk

Same here.  Using

Chrome beta v44 on windows 10

Chrome beta v44 on Android 5.0.1

Chrome beta v43 on windows 7

all systems set to UK / British English / DD/MM/YY date format, Chrome language set to UK English.

Android & Windows Evernote apps have correct DD/MM/YY date behaviour, almost all other websites do as well, but Evernote web persists with MM/DD/YY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here on Chrome beta 44.0.2403.61 beta-m 64 bit on Win 8.1, English NZ date / language (dd/mm/yyyy) working in everything EXCEPT Evernote Web which shows as mm/dd/yyyy. 

I don't see any indication in view-source of localisation control on the date displayed.

This issue is on a queue of bugs to fix. We'll update this thread once it gets resolved. Apologies for the inconvenience.

- Nancy 

You should have fixed this by now, you are embarrassing yourselves.

You realise that filling my inbox with pleas to upgrade to a paid version of this very useful software are being directed to /dev/null while this simple issue persists, and are are becoming increasingly annoying as a result.

Why would I pay for software that won't correctly recognise my locale in 2015? Even worse is the display format of ddmmyy: to me and half the non-US world 3/4/15 is April 3 not Mar 4 it's how I see it, and it requires a second take to mentally adjust for it.  

If your programmers aren't sufficiently competent to fix the broken locale, maybe someone could just tweak the display format to MMMddyy or ddMMMyy because Mar-04-15 and 3-Apr-15 at least are intuitive everywhere. I still won't upgrade until you fix it properly though.

Ciao 

edit locale for clarity

Of course it's only an inconvenience if you are a non-us-date-format user who doesn't have a desktop install of evernote (I guess that's Win only is it, as the OP was on a mac) Regardless, it's web that matters for me, that's what goes with me, and where I interact with the product, and tbh, it's what the product is designed to interact with.

So for a user who hasn't used windows regularly since 2006, or at all since XPiry the only desktop experience on evernote is one with a broken date display. Thanks, that's great.

I've put up with this as only an inconvenience until  I recently needed to refer back through evernote records to swear out a plaint, where the difference between claiming a meeting occurred on the 5/3 or 3/5 is highly critical. Double-checking that took longer than it would have taken to read from a well ordered manilla folder based dead-tree record. Pity I didn't find this thread before, apparently I could have looked up the data on my htc in the correct format - honestly, words fail.

I've stopped using evernote for production work as a result.

It's got to be the simplest issue in the world to fix. Maybe evernote need less marketing staff hassling me to buy what I consider a broken product, and hire a few cadet programmers to bug-squash at this level?

Reported: October 2014, first response from evernote employee June 2015 - we have really different interpretations of soon.

It might make one wonder what other more serious, less visible inconsistencies lurk in the code-base that may manifest to bite one some other way later?

Evernote want me to trust them with my data, you need to earn that trust.

Edit: typo

• 4 months later...

I changed the date format on my MacBook Pro to UK dd/mm/yyyy and have not experienced any problems until I started using Evernote! I contacted Apple who had no solution and suggested I contact the 3rd party supplier i.e.Evernote. Still have not found answer to this problem -can anybody help?

Les Moss

• Level 5*

I changed the date format on my MacBook Pro to UK dd/mm/yyyy and have not experienced any problems until I started using Evernote! I contacted Apple who had no solution and suggested I contact the 3rd party supplier i.e.Evernote. Still have not found answer to this problem -can anybody help?

Les Moss

Hi.  Please see comments in this thread.  Reported as an -apparently- non-urgent bug in July;  not fixed yet...  you could submit a support ticket - click Troubleshooting in the Help Center (link below in my sig) and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the 'Contact Support' button.

Hello, we fixed this issue back in July 2015. You can find some more details here: 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/87022-web-client-beta-release-7282015-view-hierarchical-tags-bug-fixes-for-date-format/

Unfortunately, right now your language / locale preference settings in our desktop / mobile clients currently does not propagate to the Evernote Web client.  You can work around this in the meantime by setting your preferred language format in your browser.  For example, if you set your preferred browser language to English UK the date format will be updated. 

Nancy 

Archived