(Archived) Evernote's Data availablity

In light of the Microsoft's Sidekick user data loss fiasco. How does Evernote ensure that its customer's data is reliably backed up?

What steps does your company take to ensure that there is some level of data redundancy to minimize the loss of customer data due to hardware failure?

Is there a way for customers to back up their own local copy of their Evernote Database?

Regarding Evernote's service ... all of your data is mirrored across at least two different servers in real time. Within each of those servers, the data is stored on redundant pairs of disks for performance and reliability.

The servers perform a nightly backup onto another local disk, and then copy that to a nearline backup storage system. A copy of the nearline backup storage system is migrated offsite weekly. So at any given moment, each piece of your data is stored in between 4 and 9 different places.

And, of course, you can use the local client on PC or Mac to store your own redundant copy, which isn't available for most web-only "cloud" services. And back that database up yourself if you like ... hard drive prices are crazy cheap these days.

Thanks

Is there a way for customers to back up their own local copy of their Evernote Database?

How are you backing up your other data at the moment? Whichever system you're using, just include the local copy of your Evernote database in that backup system. I backup my entire system to an external drive nightly, so when I started using Evernote, the database was automatically included in that backup.

Archived