Problems with iPad app on iOS 8

I have been using Evernote off and on for a while however recently I made the choice to stick with evernote for everything.  I have an iPad Air with iOS 8.0.2 however I have been noticing issues with the app and curious if others are having them as well?

1) Spellcheck -  It does not work in the Evernote app at all.  I do not get any underlines or highlights on misspelled words.  In other apps on my device the red underline shows up and I can select a correct or different word.  Uninstalling and reinstalling the app does not help.

2) New Note Shortcuts - When I create a brand new note I am presented with a note screen that allows me to type information.  Either using the onscreen keyboard or a bluetooth keyboard this works.  However there is a shortcut menu at the bottom that looks like it should allow me to select bullets, lists and formatting of text however when I touch these icons they do not do anything.  If I save the note and come back to it, then I can select those buttons.  Why does it not work for brand new notes?

3) Keyboard Shortcuts - Along those same lines is a request for SHIFT+TAB to reduce the indent of a bullet list.  TAB increases the bullet but SHIFT+TAB should reduce it, just like it does on a desktop

4) New Text Scrolling - When I am adding text to an existing note and get to the bottom of the page the text does not scroll up until I am typing below the screen.  I can not longer see what I am typing and I have to manually scroll the note up to see.  This should always leave a blank line at the bottom of the screen when I am typing and scroll up as needed.

Just looking for help or thoughts on what seem to me like basic issues.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I have been having issues as well. Most notably with the text scrolling on my iPad air. I upgraded my iOS software to 8.1.1 to see if the situation would be corrected but it has not. I also deleted and reinstalled the Evernote app but the problem persists.

I use it daily and only just recently began having the problem. Not being able to see what I'm typing is of course a major issue. I run a business group and recommended the program to countless people, not for any referral incentive just because I find the app so useful. This typing issue has made it completely useless on the iPad for me, the device I use it on most often.

I've spent hours trying to find an answer to this problem. I've found many people with the same issues but no solutions anywhere.

It's a serious issue when a note taking programme doesn't allow the user to read the notes while typing. Help Evernote! I have hundreds of notes invested in you.

Like many other people, I can't help wonder why the investment in branded physical products such as backpacks when the core product needs work.

Everything I read about CEO Libin makes me believe he's a smart, logic driven guy. Please Mr. Libin, help Evernote get back to basics, it's such a great tool.

• 3 weeks later...

I've not had any syncing problems but found the solution to my typing problem. It was a problem in the iOS software update that I updated at the same time as Evernote. The keyboard functionality changed on upgrade. I clicked the split keyboard button and now all is working.

I found this clue on another thread. Synicng snd the typing issue seem a common problems, surprised Evernote doesn't have support staff helping here with the issue. Still a big Evernote fan but now regularly backing up html files of all my notes to external drive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Is anyone going to address this thread? It seems a like a major glitch in the Evernote iPad App.  How do I get notified when someone responds to the thread with an answer?

You'll get notified by email when replies like this one are received,  unless you changed those preferences in your profile settings.  As to help with support issues,  this is a user forum and while we can often help with specific queries,  it's not a support request - go here for that:  https://evernote.com/contact/support/ - and you haven't actually asked anything specific.  What are you having problems with?

• Level 5*

I've a note somewhere that spell check is a switchable option - part of iOS,  not Evernote - 

iOS Settings > General > Keyboard - see if "Check Spelling" is turned on

- and tables have already been improved in the Mac app,  so iOS shouldn't be far behind...

Thanks for your prompt reply!  My request has to do with the format bar at the bottom of the text in a note (above the keyboard) in the iPad (it does work for the iPhone) which I do have updated on the newest operating system and update (iOS8).  I cannot select any of the tools, like bullets, bold face, to-do checkbox, etc.  Why do these icons not work?  They did at one period of time I recall.  What do I do?

I've a note somewhere that spell check is a switchable option - part of iOS,  not Evernote - 

iOS Settings > General > Keyboard - see if "Check Spelling" is turned on

- and tables have already been improved in the Mac app,  so iOS shouldn't be far behind...

Yes I have checked this several times and turned it off and on.  Per my original post it Spell Check works in all other apps just fine, not in Evernote.  Frustrating that something so basic does not work.  I opened a ticket and they said it was a bug a few months back, but not been fixed. 

Thanks for your reply!  Anyone else have any ideas?  I know that it was working a while back. 

I had this problem for a while, however I deleted the app, reinstalled and it started working.  Have you tried that?

Thanks Socialwill for your reply.  I did delete the app and reinstalled it.  But the problem did not resolve itself.  Instead, I turned the "separated keyboard" into a "full screen length keyboard" and that caused that tool bar to start working.  Strange, but it works.  Blessings!

• 1 year later...

Has anyone found a solution to this problem that occurs for me when using a Zagg bluetooth keyboard with Evernote on ipad Mini 4?

"New Text Scrolling - When I am adding text to an existing note and get to the bottom of the page the text does not scroll up until I am typing below the screen.  I can not longer see what I am typing and I have to manually scroll the note up to see.  This should always leave a blank line at the bottom of the screen when I am typing and scroll up as needed."

Archived